Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Post Game Discussion Thread

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even Cameron Smith says that burton isnt a 5/8 and should be playing centre. It seems everyone can see this except Ciraldo. He is stifling us in attack
Yeah the experiment has clearly failed. Even Burton himself sees it. Hopefully they shift him asap. Previous years there wasnt as much talk about it, this year it started prior to round 1. Hopefully it means its on the cards.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Superthread for post game discussion.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Did he really say that lol? Surely not haha
He said it - it was at that point i began questioning his judgement BUT i think what CC does is try to instill confidence in players by talking them up - i dont think he really believes it - most he talked up last year are no longer at the club Alamoti Averillo Flanagan RFM TPJ.

Also, based on last year i believe CC showed that he has been indoctrinated by the leadership/culture crap that was big in organisations 20 years ago - it didnt work n doesnt work but sounds impressive.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He said it - it was at that point i began questioning his judgement BUT i think what CC does is try to instill confidence in players by talking them up - i dont think he really believes it - most he talked up last year are no longer at the club Alamoti Averillo Flanagan RFM TPJ.

Also, based on last year i believe CC showed that he has been indoctrinated by the leadership/culture crap that was big in organisations 20 years ago - it didnt work n doesnt work but sounds impressive.
Is it 20 years since Ciraldo was at Penrith? Wow time flies.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Burton is a huge part of the problem and it's massively concerning how little he gets involved. It's hard to have faith in him anymore.. I think Mahoney is an even bigger problem though and he gets nowhere near as much blame as he deserves as he handles the ball more than anyone and takes dumb option after dumb option every set.

Ciraldo inspires no confidence at the moment and his insistence on us playing one out footy all game makes us look even worse. We have speed all over the park but we never even look to utilise it as clearly all Ciraldo cares about is completions and not scoring points.
I really have come to believe, as outlandish as it may seem to us, that Ciro does not care that much about weeky results or winning or losing, or at least that's not his priority.

He appears totally focused on the long game of getting his systems in place, with the players he favours, who are good trainers above all else and who will 100% adhere to his systems who can teach and influence the young guys coming through.

It's why he shows no urgency on selections, bench rotation strategy or any emotion when we get penalised or stuff up possession...it's just the long term implementation of his vision for the team that he coaches....nothing else; just the long game process towards his view of playing style and systems.

He has Gus' 100% backing and is plowing on, no matter the consequences bc he is secure. Gus no doubt shares this strategy.

Not saying it's right, or wrong. Just the way they see it with a rebuilding club with no real hope of success anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Bulldogs foward Viliame Kikau has been hit with a Dangerous Contact charge after an incident involving Parramatta's Dylan Brown at CommBank Stadium on Saturday night. The Grade 1 offence carries a $1000 fine with an early gulty plea, increasing to $1500 should he fight the charge and lose.

Always a Bulldog

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Already walked it back, his confidence is lost, he needs to be taken out for a stint, still on the XERRI train. He’s my other man.
Me too bro. I would like to see Xerri and Critta in the centres and Kiraz and Skelton on the wings. We need size to compensate for our middles

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is much less about that game. More a culmination of years and years of seeing the same shit, and clear lack of direction and improvement in attack. Yes defence improved as your stats show mainly. Ciraldo clearly got his selections wrong for round 1, further adding to the frustration. And it wont change for 10 rounds or more because hes a "buddy buddy i love my players and boohoo mental health" type of coach. Give me crazy Bellamy/Hasler anyday. Burton needs a stint in centre or reserve grade but it wont happen cause the club dug themselves a hole saying hes our half forever.
Can’t argue, couldn’t agree more.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This makes for good reading. But it must also be taking into account that Brown copped a knock swelling up his left eye and Moses was clearly hindered by a groin issue. It could have been alot worse for us.
It could have been worse for us and last year it definitely would have been.

Not defending the coaching or the outcome but with everything I mentioned what can you expect the score line to look like?

The referee gave us zero favours in addition to everything else.
Need to see a few more games before I throw my hands in the air.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone hear how Skelton went at the judiciary?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mason rated Parra as contenders this season on his podcast with Horo. That was my take away from round 1 as well. They are a very good team.

They were ruthless during the game and didn't let up especially in the first half, it seemed like they made no mistakes. They were physical and their kicking game was clinical.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Tracy was 18th man that means he’s good to go right? If he is good to go he should be a direct replacement for Taaffe. Salmon can’t start again he offers very little and with the Fox unavailable Xerri goes to centre and Kiraz to wing.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah the experiment has clearly failed. Even Burton himself sees it. Hopefully they shift him asap. Previous years there wasnt as much talk about it, this year it started prior to round 1. Hopefully it means its on the cards.
How do you know Burton himself sees it? I also think the experiment has failed.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you know Burton himself sees it? I also think the experiment has failed.
Cuz bro i know his 3rd removed cousin from his dogs side... they told me walla bro.

Lol no, just look at him. He doesnt exude any confidence in himself or in the team or earth being round

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cuz bro i know his 3rd removed cousin from his dogs side... they told me walla bro.

Lol no, just look at him. He doesnt exude any confidence in himself or in the team or earth being round
yeh but that’s just him though. He’s just a sack of potatoes, that’ll go through the motions. Maybe it’s confidence, but a lot of it is that there isn’t a lot up there tbh

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
We all know Ciro will just keep picking him, apparently he’s a stubborn motherfker. If he makes proper changes this week, it will blow my mind.
I guess that it makes sense to let the team settle with a regular line up, so that they can work out each other's strengths and weaknesses.

It might be frustrating for us fans, but it is a new team, and if Ciro keeps dropping players, they will never get any cohesion.

I'm not happy about the start, but I'm prepared to give them a few games before demanding wholesale sackings.

Ado-Carr's injury offers some options.