News Roosters set to announce two-year deal for teen sensation Walker

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
only 18, probably negotiates a million dollar + multi year deal for his next contract in '23 IF he progresses as expected.I don't get too worked up over shit like this actually not at all...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's a no brainer, I'd stay at the Roosters all day and develop my game and eye a move to the new QLD club when my contract expires where they will offer me a mill a season. Not worth the stress of going to some bottom feeder club for some extra $$$ right now...

This is why the salary cap doesn't work anymore in its current state. Players will stay at top clubs for less and then demand a ridiculous amount from lesser clubs when they decide to move on. Forcing clubs to spend 95% of the cap also means these lesser sides are forced into paying overs for average players and then all you hear for the next 5 years is how these clubs "mismanaged" their cap.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Roosters didn’t develop walker ffs he was headhunted by every club as a 16 year old and was poached from Brisbane ffs. Rosters rarely develop they just poach the talent be it as a 16 year old like walker or nrl developed like tedesco. Rarely does someone come through their systems that isn’t poached as an established talent even like walker at 16 etc.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The point is other clubs would have paid at least 200-300k more for Walker. Why would he sign for 300k less unless it was being made up in other ways? You alluded to how it's made up with Uncle Nick's influence.

If Walker signed with Brisbane or any other club, it wouldn't ruin his career. This notion that only top four clubs can develop talent and are the best place for any young player is absurd.
Ash Taylor, Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Brodie Croft, Luke Brooks, Shaun Johnson, Matt Moylan, Kurt Mann are all examples of halves that have stagnated or gone backwards at their respective clubs and will never again get the money their hype initially warranted. Walker is choosing career development over money for now. Let me ask you this, if Sam chose Melbourne @500K for 2 years, would any of you bat an eye or would you congratulate him for making a smart choice?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roosters didn’t develop walker ffs he was headhunted by every club as a 16 year old and was poached from Brisbane ffs. Rosters rarely develop they just poach the talent be it as a 16 year old like walker or nrl developed like tedesco. Rarely does someone come through their systems that isn’t poached as an established talent even like walker at 16 etc.
Except for the fact most of our current squad was developed by us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ash Taylor, Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford, Brodie Croft, Luke Brooks, Shaun Johnson, Matt Moylan, Kurt Mann are all examples of halves that have stagnated or gone backwards at their respective clubs and will never again get the money their hype initially warranted. Walker is choosing career development over money for now. Let me ask you this, if Sam chose Melbourne @500K for 2 years, would any of you bat an eye or would you congratulate him for making a smart choice?
I'd be saying the same thing. That it's a joke top four clubs get deals approved where players re-sign for 200-300k below their market value.

The only way the cap will ever work is if the top teams have to pay market value to sign their players or the bottom clubs actually get a fair chance to sign them without them allegedly re-signing for 300k less than they're worth.

Why would you guys pays Sualli 500k before he's played FG, but only give Walker 500k after he's dominated FG already? Clearly something doesn't add up and surely you know he's worth more.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Your having a laugh. You must not understand what development actually is.

Poaching extremely talented kids every club wanted a year or 2 before first grade isn’t developing. Guess suali is another development [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'd be saying the same thing. That it's a joke top four clubs get deals approved where players re-sign for 200-300k below their market value.

The only way the cap will ever work is if the top teams have to pay market value to sign their players or the bottom clubs actually get a fair chance to sign them without them allegedly re-signing for 300k less than they're worth.

Why would you guys pays Sualli 500k before he's played FG, but only give Walker 500k after he's dominated FG already? Clearly something doesn't add up and surely you know he's worth more.
Don’t waste your time. Fucking Russel Crowe made jokes about the chooks “cap” and you know the bunnies would take the piss out of the cap to, says enough.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a no brainer for him to sign that deal. Come end of next year he will be able to negotiate a deal for 2024 worth upwards of a million if he continues to develop. He is going to be in the spotlight and competing for premierships at the Roosters, and that'll bring in more sponsorship money too.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I get what you're saying and I was of a similar opinion when we were the Transit Lounge, we paid overs for everyone and at that time you guys were the powerhouse we wanted to be. You were able to sign and re-sign players for less due to the fact you were on top of your game both on and off the field. Did you or other doggie fans feel the situation was unfair back then? Of course not and neither should you. It was how the game was back then and now it's how the game is today.

I honestly cannot answer that question as I don't know how much we are paying Joseph. And if I'm being really honest, no one else outside the NRL, Joseph, his family and Roosters does either.

Walker is worth more to a lower ranked club, as is nearly every other player we have on the books, but that's how the NRL player market has always worked. But from your current perspective it's unfair whereas from my current one, it isn't.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your having a laugh. You must not understand what development actually is.

Poaching extremely talented kids every club wanted a year or 2 before first grade isn’t developing. Guess suali is another development [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I said most and I think you're confused between development areas and local areas. We don't have any local areas to develop players from so we have a huge development area on the Central Coast. We were smart enough to move outside our shrinking box.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I get what you're saying and I was of a similar opinion when we were the Transit Lounge, we paid overs for everyone and at that time you guys were the powerhouse we wanted to be. You were able to sign and re-sign players for less due to the fact you were on top of your game both on and off the field. Did you or other doggie fans feel the situation was unfair back then? Of course not and neither should you. It was how the game was back then and now it's how the game is today.

I honestly cannot answer that question as I don't know how much we are paying Joseph. And if I'm being really honest, no one else outside the NRL, Joseph, his family and Roosters does either.

Walker is worth more to a lower ranked club, as is nearly every other player we have on the books, but that's how the NRL player market has always worked. But from your current perspective it's unfair whereas from my current one, it isn't.
I think it would be best for the competition whether we were successful or not, that players can't sign for significantly less. The rule should be that a player can't sign or re-sign for more than 50k less that what another club offers.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be best for the competition whether we were successful or not, that players can't sign for significantly less. The rule should be that a player can't sign or re-sign for more than 50k less that what another club offers.
I'm pretty sure clubs can't sign players for "significantly" less. We got roasted over our initial contract for SBW when he came back in 2020 and had to increase it before the NRL would register it. And I've heard that happening with other clubs and player offers.

And I'm sorry man but a threshold would not work as you would have bogus offers being made every time a marquee player came on the market just to ensure whoever he signed for broke their cap to do it.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Imagine he has 2nd year syndrome next year

what if he cops an acl with them next year also only 2 year deal bit of a risk
should of asked broncos for a mil maybe ?

He could have got 1.1m straight up
4 3 years but his a cocks fan he took half

He better hope he doesnt get injured i reckon teams will pump him next year

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yeah nah. Tedesco, Keary, Morris boys, JWH, Crichton. Not sure about that.
Would be willing to bet my left cod that Easts are shonking the salary cap. Nothing is proven yet. Developing your own talent isn't really something you guys can legitimately claim in all honesty. Foreign Legion of mercenary ***** .

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah nah. Tedesco, Keary, Morris boys, JWH, Crichton. Not sure about that.
Would be willing to bet my left cod that Easts are shonking the salary cap. Nothing is proven yet. Developing your own talent isn't really something you guys can legitimately claim in all honesty. Foreign Legion of mercenary ***** .
You're 100% wrong, Billy Smith, Tupou, Manu, Friend, Cordner, JWH, Lam, Ikuvalu, Liu, Verills, Taukeiaho, Tupouniua, Radley, Collins, Lussick, Baker, Suluka-Fifita, Butcher, like I said, most of our squad we developed.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
You're 100% wrong, Billy Smith, Tupou, Manu, Friend, Cordner, JWH, Lam, Ikuvalu, Liu, Verills, Taukeiaho, Tupouniua, Radley, Collins, Lussick, Baker, Suluka-Fifita, Butcher, like I said, most of our squad we developed.
JWH made his first grade debut at Manly. How can Easts claim to have developed him?

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And Butcher was a South's junior they pinched.