Roosters backline is ridiculous

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
For a team with that much talent each year, sneaking into the 8 the last few seasons and going out before the major semis or Grand Final is a massive underachievement and disappointment.

Comparing them to us is useless as they have ten times the talent we've had for the last several years. If Robinson coached us, the last few years we still wouldn't have gotten close to the finals.
But if Robinson isn’t a good coach who is really
I’ve heard that Robinson is hood to his soljas and keeps it tight and has good game plans and has won titles
He is at a good club but can’t ask much more of him.
I don’t understand why kennel always wants to tear down others. Other forums don’t do this.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Roosters probably have as much cap space as us left if not more.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Apparently they are signing Wallabies winger Mark Nawaqanitawase on a 2 year contract.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Apparently they are signing Wallabies winger Mark Nawaqanitawase on a 2 year contract.
Wonder if Abdo and Vlad are helping Rorters out with this " lets pay clubs to get RU players" idea they came up with? :grinning:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The media have actually released a few articles quoting players who say they're playing for $200-$300k less than they were offered elsewhere to be part of the great organisation or some such bullshit. I'm sure that Politis has influential people in monitoring the salary cap on his roster. They wouldn't get away with it for so long otherwise. The sad thing for them is they've got no nursery. The bulk of talent that goes through that club is scalped and they've got a pretty poor fan base despite the success they've bought over the years.

It is my biggest hope that when Politis dies, the club sinks like a stone and doesn't taste success again for as long as I live. Heard suggestions that Politis has a rich network of people who will pick up where he leaves off, but I live in hope that karma gets them.
It’s a Melbourne Storm scenario but Roosters aren’t that sloppy or stupid… i.e. on the books gets $X - off the books getting whatever the remaining agreement was valued at….Maybe through assets, maybe through crypto/shares, maybe third-parties , maybe businesses, giving well paid jobs to family members…. Who knows???

What I do know is no one in their right mind takes a 300K or more pay-cut playing this game that occupies a small career window.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't blame the Roosters for cheating and finding loopholes. Why wouldn't you if nothing ever gets done about it?

I blame the NRL for not properly policing their salary cap (every cap rort was only uncovered because of whistleblowers/media) and the other clubs for not demanding something gets done about it.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wonder if Abdo and Vlad are helping Rorters out with this " lets pay clubs to get RU players" idea they came up with? :grinning:
I think the NRL is allowing any NRL club to not count a players salary on the salary cap if they pinch a current Wallaby.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't blame the Roosters for cheating and finding loopholes. Why wouldn't you if nothing ever gets done about it?

I blame the NRL for not properly policing their salary cap (every cap rort was only uncovered because of whistleblowers/media) and the other clubs for not demanding something gets done about it.
The NRL is way overdue on registering official cap salaries by mandating salaries cannot deviate more than a specified % (e.g. 20%) from average market value (I.e. if a player is worth between $800K-1M, avg market value is therefore 900K, the registered contract could not deviate more than 20% of that value in that case).

There’s a few ways to cut-it, but as you rightfully point out, the NRL continues to turn a blind eye on this matter… how teams like Roosters and Broncos can field a team stacked with Origin stars and Internationals, within the cap, without suspicion, is beyond me.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t stand the latte sipping tossers but their recruitment and retention in recent years has been first class. If they have a weakness in their squad they address it promptly with targeted recruiting.
Meanwhile we have been trying to secure a quality half back for 10 years !!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Be interesting to know if NRL afford them that ridiculous cap concession for poaching union players.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL is way overdue on registering official cap salaries by mandating salaries cannot deviate more than a specified % (e.g. 20%) from average market value (I.e. if a player is worth between $800K-1M, avg market value is therefore 900K, the registered contract could not deviate more than 20% of that value in that case)
That would be restraint of trade (on behalf of the player) by the NRL and hence illegal. The NRL can set a Salary Cap and minimum payments but they can't tell a Club how much to pay an individual player.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That would be restraint of trade (on behalf of the player) by the NRL and hence illegal. The NRL can set a Salary Cap and minimum payments but they can't tell a Club how much to pay an individual player.

Always a Bulldog
At times they don't accept contracts below certain valuations though. Like with Folau and Parra. They even scrutinised the Wighton salary at Souths because Canberra complained. The problem is they pick and choose when to do it and they never question Roosters players taking massive unders...

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Roosters doing allat just to be first week exists and underperform during the regular season

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
At times they don't accept contracts below certain valuations though. Like with Folau and Parra. They even scrutinised the Wighton salary at Souths because Canberra complained. The problem is they pick and choose when to do it and they never question Roosters players taking massive unders.
As I remember it the Folau situation was Parramatta were trying to drastically back end his contract, something like $200k in Year 1 and then $600k in Year 2. The Cap auditor (Ian Schubert at the time) said nice try and rated it at $400k a year. Same total just removed the back end.

The Wighton situation was very different, Canbra complained that at $800k Wighton was being underpaid as a 5/8. That failed because the average NRL 5/8 contract at the time was $615k, so Wighton was actually getting over the average. The fact that Canbra had offered more (than $800k) was irrelevant, the NRL can't tell a player how much they are allowed to sign for, that would be illegal.

The Chooks have had a few Cap relief requests knocked back. They wanted relief for Crichton with his mental health issues, the NRL declined. Previously Cordner and his early retirement, the NRL declined that as well.

From memory the NRL stopped publishing official Cap breaches in 2010 and the last TPA report was for 2018, nothing since. They really need to start publishing that information again otherwise the stink from last season will continue to grow next season.

Always a Bulldog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
On paper roosters should have been top 4 this year. They were picked by most to do so pre season too. Lets hope they similarly implode next year also

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Easy fix, make it a 20% deviation of the average market value and set the minimum value at the lowest deviation point (i.e. 20% less average market value).

JRambo

New Pup
Reaction score
The roosters 1-17 is really good, throw in a few injuries and they are back mid table like they were last year. It's easy for a player to step in and perform if the other players are doing thier job, the problem they have is if they have a few out like we saw last year they turn to shit

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Easy fix, make it a 20% deviation of the average market value and set the minimum value at the lowest deviation point (i.e. 20% less average market value).
Using the Wighton example;
Average NRL 5/8 $615k
Plus 20% = $738k
Souffs offer him $800k, the NRL says nope can't be over $738K, Wighton sues NRL for limiting his income which he would win.

Let's try the reverse;
Average NRL 5/8 $615k
Minus 20% = $492k
Crichton wants $800k
Chooks sign him for $492k and stick $308k in brown paper bags.

Nothing changes either way.

Always a Bulldog

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Something for Us all to think about, reports today that this Union bloke Nawaqanitawase is reported to have the following options for 2025 and beyond. I’ve only included 2 yrs so that we can compare over the same two year period he has sighed with the Roosters,
Signed Rooster $450k per year x 2 yrs
Rejected Aus Rugby $600k per year x 2 yrs
Rejected Japan Rugby $1M per year x 2yrs ($3M over 3yrs offered).

So over the 2yrs he has signed with Roosters, he will leave between $300k and $1.1M on the table and NRL not only say ‘nothing to see here’, but they’ll even chip in and help the Roosters with salary cap exemptions by signing a Rugby Union guy.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Using the Wighton example;
Average NRL 5/8 $615k
Plus 20% = $738k
Souffs offer him $800k, the NRL says nope can't be over $738K, Wighton sues NRL for limiting his income which he would win.

Let's try the reverse;
Average NRL 5/8 $615k
Minus 20% = $492k
Crichton wants $800k
Chooks sign him for $492k and stick $308k in brown paper bags.

Nothing changes either way.

Always a Bulldog
You may be missing the angle on the methodology, it would need to be based on player market value (not positional market value). Applying those examples, Wighton’s market value is realistically 7-900k (avg 800K)
Crichton market value is also around 7-900k (avg 800K)

For these players utilising the example, their contracts can’t be registered on any formal offer less than 640K (800k less 20%)….any figure above 640K is acceptable.

That should tick most boxes…

Last edited: