RL considers radical changes to game day with four quarter football

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
THE most radical changes in rugby league history — including four-quarter football over 100 minutes — are under consideration at the NRL.

The NRL’s rules and competition committee floated the extraordinary idea at Moore Park headquarters last week in front of CEO Dave Smith, chairman John Grant, the game’s most influential coach, Wayne Bennett, and Head of Football Todd Greenberg.

The changes would generate hundreds of millions of dollars in extra revenue from the TV networks through quarter-time advertising breaks and an extra 20 minutes of game time.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
we NFL now.......

not much work to do at the nrl offices I'm guessing.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't make this sh!t up if you tried...

This is from a fair dinkum article, isn't it (Sauce? )

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahahahahahahah
hahahwhahwhwwhw

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So on the one hand they are talking about interchange reductions to keep the smaller men in the game via fatigue etc. On the other hand they want to make more money, so scrap all that malarky about player welfare, pffft. Money rules, lets adopt a more commercial friendly approach to running the game by completely altering the way it is played. Heres an idea. Why not save the game money by sacking the people in charge who have no love or respect for the tradition of the game and get people in charge who are there to improve the game.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
the next thing greedberg will do is add in some timeouts and minute breaks from stoppages every 5 minutes

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the next thing greedberg will do is add in some timeouts and minute breaks from stoppages every 5 minutes
I dont know what the NRLs obsession is with the US market, they will never ever break into it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's not for players, it's to sell more ads.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Oops, didn't read the whole article lol

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can you imagine all the momentum that would be broken if they had quarters? As soon as you got on a roll it ends.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
captains challenge
Thats something we should lift from the US honestly, it works well in the 20's

this move makes a lot of sense financially for the code... Ultimately they will sell more ads and justify raising the ticket prices. The moves are anti-consumer though. I'm not as opposed to it as many others are as I have never been a sucker for tradition. But I definitely wouldn't vote for it if it went to a fan vote, put it that way.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dave smith continually wants to fix things that don't need fixing ,im still pissed about the shoulder charge banning ,how they had it where shoulder charge was ok but the moment you contact the head your in big trouble was perfect ,now this

sultanofsydney

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the Sultans ideas for league

* make field goals worth 2 if kicked from outside halfway
* Make zero tackle rule from kick dead only if kick is made from outside the attacking 20
* any chicken wing crusher etc is a 5 min sin bin no if or buts
* reduce sydney teams buy 2 e.g tigpies n sharks
* reduce interchange to 6
* make nrl finals top 6
* allow 2 man strip
* black and white rules for off field incidents
* 1 ref
* allow video ref to rule on forward pass

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Sultans ideas for league

* make field goals worth 2 if kicked from outside halfway
* Make zero tackle rule from kick dead only if kick is made from outside the attacking 20
* any chicken wing crusher etc is a 5 min sin bin no if or buts
* reduce sydney teams buy 2 e.g tigpies n sharks
* reduce interchange to 6
* make nrl finals top 6
* allow 2 man strip
* black and white rules for off field incidents
* 1 ref
* allow video ref to rule on forward pass
I like most of these. I don't really see much point in the 2 pt FG. No one wants teams to win via FG. I like the idea of golden try as opposed to golden point though so add that one to the list aswell. And a big no on the strips from me, although I would like to see players forced to hold onto the damn ball!

6 team finals will never happen, it would make the NRL less money. If they could get away with it they would put all 18 in.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all the stoppages and crap the game goes for over a 100 minutes any way so adding more time will turn it into FUKKING GAY SHIT
This is why I harp on about that pommy ref so much, he is not perfect but does his best to keep the game free flowing.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What next are we going to have stopages in the game incase the dandy ref needs a manicure

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
This only goes to show how much of a joke these people are..

WOW. Leave the game u gronks

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Instead of trying to rape the living shit out of the game, why don't they look into how they can get more bums on seats. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.