RL considers radical changes to game day with four quarter football

Status
Not open for further replies.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
channel 9 / fox sports

over paid for the nrl plain and simple

they wanted a billion dollar deal to show up the afl and its back fired for all involved

channel 9 stuffed up badly with this
I don't think they would agree. The ratings are good and the NRL has been extremely quick to adjust to suit them. RL is the best and most valuable product channel 9 has.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Its a ridiculous idea. Players are playing too much footy as it is. Its all about the money for the nrl. More breaks and minutes means much more advertising dollars (at the player's expense)

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a ridiculous idea. Players are playing too much footy as it is. Its all about the money for the nrl. More breaks and minutes means much more advertising dollars (at the player's expense)
I'm fairly certain that players would play less minutes though wouldn't they?

The biggest difference will be the amount of advertising we see... Ch9 and Fox make more money, the NRL potentially makes more money, the players potentially make more money. I think really everyone else wins here at the expense of us, the fans.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I don't think they would agree. The ratings are good and the NRL has been extremely quick to adjust to suit them. RL is the best and most valuable product channel 9 has.
but is it valuable enough, if they paid 5 trillion a season it would still be the good rater and valuable product but they would lose money

this move indicates that they are not happy and are desperately looking for more tv time

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but is it valuable enough, if they paid 5 trillion a season it would still be the good rater and valuable product but they would lose money

this move indicates that they are not happy and are desperately looking for more tv time
We won't find out until next TV Deal.

If they feel they lose money it is their own fault anyway. The fact they have only recently decided to show Sunday live is ridiculous

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that players would play less minutes though wouldn't they?

The biggest difference will be the amount of advertising we see... Ch9 and Fox make more money, the NRL potentially makes more money, the players potentially make more money. I think really everyone else wins here at the expense of us, the fans.
the story I read on ninemsn said 4 x 25 minute quarters so that is 20 more minutes

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We won't find out until next TV Deal.

If they feel they lose money it is their own fault anyway. The fact they have only recently decided to show Sunday live is ridiculous
I remember when they didnt even show the weekend finals games live. I was watching the 98 parra V Dogs Final I had to turn on the radio to find out the live score.

If they want more TV time they should take one game on saturday, not sure how much fox pays for the sat night games.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the story I read on ninemsn said 4 x 25 minute quarters so that is 20 more minutes
Yes but there will be less games and 8 players on the bench as well I think they said? Add in the fact you get two more extended breaks in the middle of each half and the new rules look a lot more player friendly.

Reaction score
yeah, and they're also saying players and coaches will be doing tv interviews in the quarter time breaks. this can't be good for team cohesion if players and coaches are distracted while a game is yet to be finished

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
think they will lose viewers after each quarter with this plan or people will only watch the last quarter

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
think they will lose viewers after each quarter with this plan or people will only watch the last quarter
Some games early in the season where the temperature is over a certain point are played in quarters. Pending the duration of the two added breaks you can barely tell the difference.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Some games early in the season where the temperature is over a certain point are played in quarters. Pending the duration of the two added breaks you can barely tell the difference.
From memory though, I thought those games merely had a quick drink break with play simply stopped, rather than a proper "end" to play?

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From memory though, I thought those games merely had a quick drink break with play simply stopped, rather than a proper "end" to play?
Yeah, which is how i would assume they would do it now. A brief break with an extended ad break, like in the NFL. They stop for 2-3 minutes, go to ads, the teams switch ends and you come back and they play on like nothing happened.

sultanofsydney

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the only benefit of quarters 20min not 25min would be to switch up wind advantage

Reaction score
the few people running the game are ruining it for many. This latest crap about all year long NRL calender is just stupid.
there's barely enough elite talent to fill the season, yet they flog them to death like dogs. Great game and players, but the NRL itself is a turn off

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the few people running the game are ruining it for many. This latest crap about all year long NRL calender is just stupid.
there's barely enough elite talent to fill the season, yet they flog them to death like dogs. Great game and players, but the NRL itself is a turn off
It seems to be an inevitability of running sport as a business. Th consumers always lose the worst. And we are the consumers. Same as any business.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It would not surprise me at all if one of the gambling agencies connected to the game was the brainchild behind splitting our game into 4 quarters. They probably want more ad breaks so more gambling opportunities can be advertied

Status
Not open for further replies.