Official RFM granted immediate release

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Interesting way to avoid the question.

I asked what you base the $200K on.

How do you know it isn't $100K or $300K or any number in-between.

Why did you land on $200K???
Does it really matter how much we paid anyway ? It's worth it,to free up a spot.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't see the Curren signing coming. I'd say the Sexton deal was agreed to and signed off on within minutes of him getting released from the Tits. That was a huge surprise. There'd been loud rumblings about RFM for a while. But no whispers in the media (that I saw) about the dragqueens being his destination until minutes after his release.

So we might be on the verge of announcing players who's release we've negotiated quietly. It's quite common for a small flurry of activity to begin with the release of one player close to the season. Often it's just adjusting the composition of the depth. But it's a bit like shaking a colander. Something always drops out before everything settles. RFM moving might've given that colander the shake needed to get some late players shifts happening. Even if we pick up some bland as buggery 22-26yo prop that's busted his ass to get every contract so far who will bust his ass tackling and taking hitups, it'll be better than having a 30yo RFM kicking stones and bringing others down.

Let the tree shake and see what falls. I've been waiting for the usual pre season flurry of player movements. It'll be interesting to see if RFM is the first coconut to fall (not a race based pun, it's a coconut tree pun, promise)
Does it really matter what kind of tree is shaken ?
Whether it's an apple coconut pears or nuts tree...It's the rotted ones that fall off !!!

Last edited:

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
W
Why are sure?
Why does everything think Gus has everything covered?

Some things can't be helped or predicted.
This isn't one of those things. It was I the cards.
@Marki Gould was a great coach in the 1990's like Tim Sheens and the late Bob Fulton were great coaches of that era. He was a drawcard in that era for anyone wanting to play under him. He owned the Origin arena the 3 game series was his stage. The game has changed massively since Gould was last a full time coach even when he last coached at Origin it has changed. Fittler's plan to bring Gould as chief advisor it backfired and resigned. Gould is from a different era like Sheens was. Sheens had better success in club land and he was moved on last year.

Penrith saw the writing on the wall. Ivan Cleary said Penrith was dysfunctional when he returned back in late 2018. Cleary had to rip up the 5yr plan and start Penrith all over again. We can't be clinging onto look at Penrith now. It's a different club culture wise, how it's run and mentality wise since 2018. They allowed themselves to go into a freefall in 2019 to be a whole different club by 2020.

The RFM split was always going to happen. They couldn't get him on breach notices or termination. Eventually Gould and another club this time being the Dragons came to an agreement. RFM gets full pay possibly even more for his final two years and still plays football. I reckon both clubs are paying for half his contract. He's the big winner.

We again are paying a good portion of the freight for a player at another club. We are making good habit of this. So many contracted players are willfilly shipped on. Our fans have jumped onto this. Doesn't create loyalty and culture for the jersey.

A lot of our new signings are short-term fixes. We need to break out of this turnover cycle and just build stability. We boast about having a rebuild the two central players to that should have been local juniors Averillo and Alamoti. Averillo at 23 is about to hit the peak years of his career. He will enjoy being backed completely by his coach and settling into the one role. Alamoti been the standout best junior in the club for many years finally cracks NRL at just 19yrs and he's flicked before he turns 20. @Flanagun is right about Waddell he should have been kept just as he was coming through the other end he's gone.

Should we be classified as a new NRL club with all the player turnover?

We need to stop the constant turnover cycle and allow some form of stability in the playing ranks to emerge.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@Marki Gould was a great coach in the 1990's like Tim Sheens and the late Bob Fulton were great coaches of that era. He was a drawcard in that era for anyone wanting to play under him. He owned the Origin arena the 3 game series was his stage. The game has changed massively since Gould was last a full time coach even when he last coached at Origin it has changed. Fittler's plan to bring Gould as chief advisor it backfired and resigned. Gould is from a different era like Sheens was. Sheens had better success in club land and he was moved on last year.

Penrith saw the writing on the wall. Ivan Cleary said Penrith was dysfunctional when he returned back in late 2018. Cleary had to rip up the 5yr plan and start Penrith all over again. We can't be clinging onto look at Penrith now. It's a different club culture wise, how it's run and mentality wise since 2018. They allowed themselves to go into a freefall in 2019 to be a whole different club by 2020.

The RFM split was always going to happen. They couldn't get him on breach notices or termination. Eventually Gould and another club this time being the Dragons came to an agreement. RFM gets full pay possibly even more for his final two years and still plays football. I reckon both clubs are paying for half his contract. He's the big winner.

We again are paying a good portion of the freight for a player at another club. We are making good habit of this. So many contracted players are willfilly shipped on. Our fans have jumped onto this. Doesn't create loyalty and culture for the jersey.

A lot of our new signings are short-term fixes. We need to break out of this turnover cycle and just build stability. We boast about having a rebuild the two central players to that should have been local juniors Averillo and Alamoti. Averillo at 23 is about to hit the peak years of his career. He will enjoy being backed completely by his coach and settling into the one role. Alamoti been the standout best junior in the club for many years finally cracks NRL at just 19yrs and he's flicked before he turns 20. @Flanagun is right about Waddell he should have been kept just as he was coming through the other end he's gone.

Should we be classified as a new NRL club with all the player turnover?

We need to stop the constant turnover cycle and allow some form of stability in the playing ranks to emerge.
Rubbish

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@04 Dreaming We are easily paying at least half. The biggest winner in all this is RFM. He's got his full contract, he's at a club that will appreciate him and he's away from toxic fans hating on him within his own club. RFM won this all along. They couldn't get him on any breach notices that could result in termination of contract or golden handshake. He got a full payout.

Gould re-signed him for 3yrs in 2022 he gets all the money.
I think it’s disgraceful …. Gus should have put away that magic wand of his that fixes broken football clubs in just two years,

And before re-signing RFM to 3 years …. he should have instead looked into his big crystal ball and seen that all this carry on with RFM and the media would happen, someone like Gus should have known all this would happen before it did ..

I see @Polly Power has been looking into his crystal ball to see what type of deal was done with saints, and has seen exactly what the pay out figure is, even though no one else does … good for him .. because surely he wouldn’t be guessing ..

#sackgus.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope we can find another diamond in the rough like Paul Rauhihi. Guy was came from the knights and had a great impact. I think we should look at NZ warrior juniors, alot of these players get stuck in the bottleneck and don't reach their potential.
Rauhihi was an underrated contributor for us. So far Gus has found similar diamonds in the rough like King, Kiraz and Preston.. Hopefully we can find a few more to round out the squad.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
roosters dont let anyone leave early unless they get something of value in return
thats union..........

completely different to a rival in the nrl.........
What's the difference, they are loosing a player that plainly they wanted to keep, a player that at great cost they stole of Souffs.

OK, NRL only, who did they get in exchange for Mitchell from Souths?
I've got plenty more.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rauhihi was an underrated contributor for us. So far Gus has found similar diamonds in the rough like King, Kiraz and Preston.. Hopefully we can find a few more to round out the squad.
Exactly, and the chances are high that we will. The process of finding the diamonds means you inevitably dig up some deadwood as well, that's fine, it is part of the process. People who are complaining that Gus has brought in some deadwood aren't living in reality. The only way to not sign anyone who ends up underperforming is to not sign anyone at all. Good luck with that strategy.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dunno about this. Feel like he was a good bloke and a determined player who got let go for talking up for his team mates. Feels a bit unprofessional.
He was let go for talking to Buzz Frothfield. He was naive and got sucked in by the old drunk and it has cost him.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's the difference, they are loosing a player that plainly they wanted to keep, a player that at great cost they stole of Souffs.

OK, NRL only, who did they get in exchange for Mitchell from Souths?
I've got plenty more.

Always a Bulldog
different situation as he wanted to leave and roosters were fed up with him and was able to use that money to retain players....

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
different situation as he wanted to leave and roosters were fed up with him and was able to use that money to retain players....
They lost Latrell & are losing JS as free agents. They have lost plenty of free agents over the years.

Also technically they got JS to replace Latrell & they got Dom Young now to replace JS.