Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Reynolds plays one game at the minimum standard required for FG for a 5/8 and he is now the messiah. 1 game in like 2-21/2 years. Ever think that the reason Reynolds goes "looking for the ball" more than Mbye is because Reynolds was gifted the better position over Mbye and get's to choose these things. Both are 5/8's not a HB, I think this point we all agree on. Mbye has been forced to be the "organiser" even though that is not his natural game right now. Reynold's is older, more experienced and a SOO player yet still cannot do this. Reynolds wants 800k per season. The way Reynolds played last night is the minimum he is required to play every single game for that amount of money or even to hold a halves position in FG. My hat off to JR, he played great last night and I love his passion.

Had JR been able to run a proper line last night we score 2-3 more tries, the amount of gaps there was on the inside and for straight running was massive. There was like 3-4 opportunities alone for that Slater type play just for Abbey alone. You mix Frawley with the speed and proper line running of Mbye than I guarantee some attacking footy we have long since forgotten in this team. Reynolds in this team is best as a utility player replacing Liccha with 15 minutes to go at the end of each half or to ignite some unorthodox play in chasing points. Come on with some up tempo and passion to ensure we keep the intensity up high in the danger times at the end of the halves. A half should not run crazy across field like he does as it destroys any space for our backs, this has been a massive fault for years. Early round in glimpses showed what blokes like Lee can do given early ball with open ground to challenge his opposite number, this cannot happen if old mate runs across and wastes the field.
Sorry bro don't agree last time Reynolds was playing well was when he had hodko.
Now Frawley comes in and wouldn't you know it Reynolds is back to his best.
Like you said Mbye and Reynolds are5/8 so why should Reynolds give up his position to Mbye when Mbye is an unproven 5/8 and always missing??????

Last edited:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I watched the presser closely trying to look for a tell on Des with his response and body language when they mentioned Frawley and Mbye but the old wry veteran batted back qs with a straight face
Guess wait till Tuesday

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Sorry bro don't agree last time Reynolds was playing well was when he had hodko.
Now Frawley comes in and wouldn't you know it Reynolds is back to his best.
Like you said Mbye and Reynolds are5/8 so why should Reynolds give up his position to Mbye when Mbye is an unproven 5/8 and always missing??????
All good, that's why we talk footy. One game is hardly "back to his best". Because Mbye is on contract and Reynolds is coming off contract. IMO Mbye has more talent, pace and pretty much every other category available. Only reason Mbye is no 7 is because he had a better chance of being able to pull it off than JR, obviously he hasn't but that's Des's fault for expecting someone to play out of position in the most important spot on the field. Mbye is a better line runner than JR and reader of broken play. At he end of the day this is all Des for having us in this spot of having two 5/8's, as I said, one is on contract the other is coming off and it may just be that simple.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des will get rid of Reynolds at the end of this season. He will insult him with a low offer for playing bench utility and he will walk.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And will win a GF with his new team. lol
hmm I dunno maybe if he was paired with Cronk than yes. Whichever half you put him next to they will have to do 90% + of the game management duties.

Mbye will be 6 eventually. One more brain snap and Des will drop him.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The positive to come out of all this is that Des now has selection headaches and options. Frawley did him self and the team wonders last night . He showed temperament and maturity way beyond his years. The 7,500 odd thousand who showed up all left talking about a debutant who stood up and made it count.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This is going to be like 2015 all over again lol.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He's not a better 5/8 then Foran, Thurston, M.Moses or Bird.

I doubt he's better then Mbye either - give Moses the same opportunity afforded to Reynolds: playing in his preferred position with Frawley
Get over your Foran fixation ffs. You're too smart to want to sign that basket case, surely.

Signing Foran would be insanity. Reynolds> Foran.... any day of the week.

Reunited lads is great as long as he's partnered with a running half back. Why would you doubt he's a better 5/8 than Mbye? Why does a player who has under delivered in such a major way for us constantly get favourably compared to a player who wears his heart on his sleeve and goes all he can for us every week.

Mbye has never played a first grade game half as good as what we saw from Reynolds last night, yet you sure magically assume he's the better option. Why? Raw athletic talent? Commitment and passion are worth more.

Reynolds is a bulldog. Should be here for life.

If he leaves I'll be seriously pissed off, but even if that ends up brin Ng the case I wish people here would treat him with more respect. Comparing him unfavourably to every held in the gonobwgen ge has never even had proper halves coaching is counter intuitive.

it seems you even think that busted arse Jodko was of more use than Reynolds. Why do some so stubbornly refuse to acknowledge his value?

Idongeddit

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Reynolds has been close to our best in a few matches this year. Scored the only try vs the Storm defence, the first try vs Brisbane, both is shitty attacking conditions. He looks a lot better with a real halfback with him. His enthusiasm cant be replaced easily. Not only does it make him an x factor player, it motivates the reast of the team and lifts them too. Happy for him to stay as long as he likes. Hes as bulldogs as they come.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Reynolds has been close to our best in a few matches this year. Scored the only try vs the Storm defence, the first try vs Brisbane, both is shitty attacking conditions. He looks a lot better with a real halfback with him. His enthusiasm cant be replaced easily. Not only does it make him an x factor player, it motivates the reast of the team and lifts them too. Happy for him to stay as long as he likes. Hes as bulldogs as they come.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The positive to come out of all this is that Des now has selection headaches and options. Frawley did him self and the team wonders last night . He showed temperament and maturity way beyond his years. The 7,500 odd thousand who showed up all left talking about a debutant who stood up and made it count.
The negative is that we have had them before it's just that Des didn't see it that way i.e Finucane for She-rex

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get over your Foran fixation ffs. You're too smart to want to sign that basket case, surely.

Signing Foran would be insanity. Reynolds> Foran.... any day of the week.

Reunited lads is great as long as he's partnered with a running half back. Why would you doubt he's a better 5/8 than Mbye? Why does a player who has under delivered in such a major way for us constantly get favourably compared to a player who wears his heart on his sleeve and goes all he can for us every week.

Mbye has never played a first grade game half as good as what we saw from Reynolds last night, yet you sure magically assume he's the better option. Why? Raw athletic talent? Commitment and passion are worth more.

Reynolds is a bulldog. Should be here for life.

If he leaves I'll be seriously pissed off, but even if that ends up brin Ng the case I wish people here would treat him with more respect. Comparing him unfavourably to every held in the gonobwgen ge has never even had proper halves coaching is counter intuitive.

it seems you even think that busted arse Jodko was of more use than Reynolds. Why do some so stubbornly refuse to acknowledge his value?

Idongeddit
My Foran fixation?? I didn't know I had one, what are you referencing?

I'm not even a big critic of Reynolds, he is what he is - electric at times, useless at others but if we want a genuine 5/8 or halfback we could do a lot worse than Foran provided he's sorted himself out.

That's the most mild endorsement you'll ever hear.

Reynolds was good last night, 1 from 4 attempts at try scoring showed he's always trying, no doubt.
1 denied from his knock on, 1 denied because Lee was offside, 1 denied because he didn't ground the ball. A nice grubber to to force a drop out, a few darting runs and 2 penalties for poor discipline. What am I missing?

So what you're saying is Moses has never scored a try, forced a drop out and been penalized twice in a single game or as you said, half as good, so he's never contributed 2 points, kicked the ball in goal and been penalized? Come on.

Hodkinson WAS worth more than Reynolds: career goal kicker at 80%; no nonsense, get the basics right halfback; strong defensively and was on ~$260k a season. All factors we've been missing since he left.

Reynolds has got value, just not as a starting 6 in my opinion.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The sooner Lichaa goes and is replaced by Mbye and having a genuine halfback partner Reynolds and a game breaking fullback, the sooner we will contest the title.

If Hasler/Board can lure Tedesco and a genuine HB (not Brooks, Moses, Foran) i will cop the 2 year re-signing of Hasler. If they cannot lure Tedesco and a HB, ta ta Des, Dib & Castle.

There are NO EXCUSES. They have the cap space

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
My Foran fixation?? I didn't know I had one, what are you referencing?

I'm not even a big critic of Reynolds, he is what he is - electric at times, useless at others but if we want a genuine 5/8 or halfback we could do a lot worse than Foran provided he's sorted himself out.

That's the most mild endorsement you'll ever hear.

Reynolds was good last night, 1 from 4 attempts at try scoring showed he's always trying, no doubt.
1 denied from his knock on, 1 denied because Lee was offside, 1 denied because he didn't ground the ball. A nice grubber to to force a drop out, a few darting runs and 2 penalties for poor discipline. What am I missing?

So what you're saying is Moses has never scored a try, forced a drop out and been penalized twice in a single game or as you said, half as good, so he's never contributed 2 points, kicked the ball in goal and been penalized? Come on.

Hodkinson WAS worth more than Reynolds: career goal kicker at 80%; no nonsense, get the basics right halfback; strong defensively and was on ~$260k a season. All factors we've been missing since he left.

Reynolds has got value, just not as a starting 6 in my opinion.
Can't agree with any of what you just posted mate....and the fact you would say a guy like Hodko who didn't even put in during 80 percent of the games her played for us was more valuable than Reynolds is ridiculous to be perfectly honest. If you think Hodkinson did more for this club than Reynolds, you are either biased or don't have eyes.

Maybe you don't have a fixation with Foran, I don't know...but the fact you are still talking about him as an option despite the fact he is clearly a basket case, has been linked to match fixing, missed most of the season due to his issues after signing a lucrative contract to play under a coach he had apparently long wanted to play for and met with our board last year only for them to decide they didn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole...and still touting him as a preferable option to Reynolds strikes me as weird. Foran would be my absolute last choice halfback for next year. If we are going to look elsewhere Foran should be the absolute last guy we look at.

Honestly, you say you have no problem with Reynolds, but your snarky analysis of what was a very good game by him last night 100 percent proves you do have an issue with him IMO. Your post about him is pretty passive aggressive and pretty transparent. You honestly saying that knock on was his fault? Ridiculous. Hodkinson wouldn't have been within 1km of the ball to begin with.

Hodko worth more than Reynolds...haha now I've heard everything!

Reaction score
i hope reynolds stays, don't care if he's at 6 or 14, as long as mybe isn't 7 we should be right.
mybe to 1, 6 or 9, just keep him out of the 7

bigger concern for me is hoppa and holland coming straight back in. montoya deserves a shot.
jmoz odd man out if hoppa comes straight back in, which he will. won't happen, but i'd like to see

1 mybe
2,5 bmoz montoya
3,4 hoppa brenko
6,7 reynolds frawley

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seen 3 grubber kicks in a row all ending in repeat sets. I haven't seen that in years even even Andrew Moore read my text in the call on abc radio last night.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't agree with any of what you just posted mate....and the fact you would say a guy like Hodko who didn't even put in during 80 percent of the games her played for us was more valuable than Reynolds is ridiculous to be perfectly honest. If you think Hodkinson did more for this club than Reynolds, you are either biased or don't have eyes.

Maybe you don't have a fixation with Foran, I don't know...but the fact you are still talking about him as an option despite the fact he is clearly a basket case, has been linked to match fixing, missed most of the season due to his issues after signing a lucrative contract to play under a coach he had apparently long wanted to play for and met with our board last year only for them to decide they didn't want to touch him with a ten foot pole...and still touting him as a preferable option to Reynolds strikes me as weird. Foran would be my absolute last choice halfback for next year. If we are going to look elsewhere Foran should be the absolute last guy we look at.

Honestly, you say you have no problem with Reynolds, but your snarky analysis of what was a very good game by him last night 100 percent proves you do have an issue with him IMO. Your post about him is pretty passive aggressive and pretty transparent. You honestly saying that knock on was his fault? Ridiculous. Hodkinson wouldn't have been within 1km of the ball to begin with.

Hodko worth more than Reynolds...haha now I've heard everything!
Re read what I put in bold "provided he's sorted himself out." I don't know the ins and outs of his breakdown granted but he hasn't been convicted of anything so I'm not sure what you're holding on to. We'll just have to wait and see how he plays when/if he gets back on the field before we can give him an honest appraisal. I won't hold my breath either way.

I'd say you're reading too much into what I wrote or reading with too much emotion. I started off by saying he had a good game, which would have been a very good game if he'd scored another try, great game if he'd scored 3/4, brilliant if he'd scored all 4 and even better if he hadn't been penalized twice.
That was Reynolds game last night, no agenda, no BS that was his contribution wasn't it? Out of curiosity, whose fault was it he knocked on? I'm not holding it against him, hard to avoid - but he literally was the guy that knocked on.

I think you're being overly sensitive man. We've missed Hodkinsons game management, kicking, goal kicking, cool head and drop goals.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Re read what I put in bold "provided he's sorted himself out." I don't know the ins and outs of his breakdown granted but he hasn't been convicted of anything so I'm not sure what you're holding on to. We'll just have to wait and see how he plays when/if he gets back on the field before we can give him an honest appraisal. I won't hold my breath either way.

I'd say you're reading too much into what I wrote or reading with too much emotion. I started off by saying he had a good game, which would have been a very good game if he'd scored another try, great game if he'd scored 3/4, brilliant if he'd scored all 4 and even better if he hadn't been penalized twice.
That was Reynolds game last night, no agenda, no BS that was his contribution wasn't it? Out of curiosity, whose fault was it he knocked on? I'm not holding it against him, hard to avoid - but he literally was the guy that knocked on.

I think you're being overly sensitive man. We've missed Hodkinsons game management, kicking, goal kicking, cool head and drop goals.
I don't mean to be over sensitive. It just goes my head in that people don't spotexiate ond of our best gonttivhyirs week in, week out. If Reynolds doesn't play last night, we lose. It's that simple imo. And yep, you Gould say the same for Frawley too.

I just think he had a very good game and honestly, I find it a little sad many people on this forum would take just about any half in the cook over one of our best and most loyal players.

I to think a lot of experts see the value in Reynolds. He's the type of guy players love to play with. I just think he is ridiculously undervalued on this forum.

I did read what you said about Foran. I just think considering he has had so many well documented issues, knocked back a precious offer to play here in order to play for a coach he'd really wanted to play for only to derail that club's entire season, his connections to Hayson. I thibk adorable has too many problems yo turn them around in such a short time frame tbh. I honestly think the potential he could do our club harm is much greater than the potential he'll do us good. Honestly if we let Reynolds go and sign Forsn I won't support us (or anyone take) next year.

I don't mean to be overly sensitive, but yeah I to feel very strongly about this.

I still don't see what you saw in Hodko. His game managing abilities were largely a myth I think. I saw him take the bull by the horns, steer the team around and play well a few times but more often than not, he was under involved, didn't seem to be enthusiastic enough and seemed to be playing in a body that was 90 percent broken parts. I don't think his kicking skills were anywhere near enough of an asset to justify the mediocre performances he produced for us while playing a key position most of the time. His kicking game in general play was not good most of the time. He had a cool head and iced a few games for us, but honestly I don't think he's kicked any more field goals or rob us any more Holden point/ 1 point games than Reynolds has. I'd have to check on it...In short, I just don't remember the same player you seem to...and you obviously don't think Reynolds is the player I see him as... we're all entitled to our opinions I guess... but I honestly think Reynolds offers us much more value than Hodko ever did and he offers more than Mbye has to this point.

The knock on? You mean the one where he grounded just before the dead ball line after getting a little touch on it? Oh come on man, he didn't even appear to be playing at the ball at the time. Yeah it was a knock on, but I don't think you can really say it was his fault when he put himself in a position to score a try that never really should have been scored in the first place. I think you're a harsh marker if you blame Reynolds hot getting a little touch during an effort play like that. Easy to make less handling errors if you are less involved and font put in the effort I guess.

I don't think i'm mental dude.... ex players seem to really like him and so do his teammates. I think he's a guy people like to play with.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Sorry if there are typos. Back on my phone now, do typing is a little more tedious and frustrating

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
All good, that's why we talk footy. One game is hardly "back to his best". Because Mbye is on contract and Reynolds is coming off contract. IMO Mbye has more talent, pace and pretty much every other category available. Only reason Mbye is no 7 is because he had a better chance of being able to pull it off than JR, obviously he hasn't but that's Des's fault for expecting someone to play out of position in the most important spot on the field. Mbye is a better line runner than JR and reader of broken play. At he end of the day this is all Des for having us in this spot of having two 5/8's, as I said, one is on contract the other is coming off and it may just be that simple.
Disagree. Reynolds has more passion and enthusiasm for the jersey in his big toe, than MBye has in his whole body. Thats also good for the team. It can rub off on the players. MBye shouldnt be near either half position. Hes a back or at a stretch hooker. Should be a bench utility player or back imo.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I also think it may come down to who already has a contract. JR needs to play like last night for the rest of the season to even be considered for another one.....and certainly no-where near the reported 800k. 450k at the most. But I just don't see a spot for him tbh.
Who are you to judge what a player is worth or should be paid? how do you know JR gets paid 800K have you seen the books? I am amazed how many experts there are on this Forum who claim they know who gets paid what!! 99% know Jack Shit!! reportedly is the world reportedly!! never the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.