Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put an organising Halfback with Reynolds and he looks a lot better. He even created a repeat set.... nearly fell off my chair

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah he played well but the questions are:
a) Is he the best 5/8 at the club?
b) Is he the best 5/8 on the market?

If either of these answers are no, then we move him on

Or play and pay him as a bench utility

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
even JT needed a michael morgan along side him to make him do stuff what he has been doing since morgan joined.

It is no coincidence that Morgan had a huge impact not only for Cowboys but also on JT's game.
Agree with that.
Reynolds seems to feel pressure when he has to kick. He kicks like he doesn't want to make a mistake instead of kicking confidently. Frawley showed last night that if you are a natural kicker it comes easily and doesn't affect the rest of your game.
Reynolds doesn't need the pressure of kicking. That's where Mbye has fallen down. He hasn't demanded the kicking duties like Frawley did last night.
If Reynolds can continue what he showed last night week in week out he might be worth keeping because his energy is always great.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah he played well but the questions are:
a) Is he the best 5/8 at the club?
b) Is he the best 5/8 on the market?

If either of these answers are no, then we move him on

Or play and pay him as a bench utility
he is.. he just needs an organising half outside of him..

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
he is.. he just needs an organising half outside of him..
He's not a better 5/8 then Foran, Thurston, M.Moses or Bird.

I doubt he's better then Mbye either - give Moses the same opportunity afforded to Reynolds: playing in his preferred position with Frawley

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He's not a better 5/8 then Foran, Thurston, M.Moses or Bird.

I doubt he's better then Mbye either - give Moses the same opportunity afforded to Reynolds: playing in his preferred position with Frawley
No don't agree on Mbye, because he doesn't go looking for the ball, Reynolds does.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He's not a better 5/8 then Widdop, Thurston, M.Moses or Bird.

Yh people seem to forget that it was Moses that scored and created more points for us last season than Reynolds yet think Moses couldn't put in an equally as good or better performance than Reynolds did last night.

We should run with the same halves pairing as last night though for the next few games. Lets see how they go in different conditions and against different teams.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh people seem to forget that it was Moses that scored and created more points for us last season than Reynolds yet think Moses couldn't put in an equally as good or better performance than Reynolds did last night.

We should run with the same halves pairing as last night though for the next few games. Lets see how they go in different conditions and against different teams.
It's a weird outrage against Mbye.

Agreed, Reynolds has done enough to start next week with Mbye on the bench

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reynolds played where he should be playing last night. Mbye has more skill I believe, but not in the halves.
Mbye needs to be in the team still, as does reynolds and Frawley. How this works is Des' problem.
Personally I still think Mbye is a Fullback.
1 Mbye
6 Reynolds
7 Frawley

At worst, Mbye on the Bench. But thats a waste in my opinion.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Hasler has any sense, you don't change a winning formula.
Mbye should be in the team as it's not the kids fault that he is not a true 7 and that Hasler kept persisting with it.
The kid has talent and you put him on the bench as a utility to either replace Lichaa, Reynolds, Abbey or any outside back that might get an injury or is not performing.
This way, you put pressure on all the backs, halves and hooker to perform otherwise Mbye is taking your spot in the starting side...

In my books, Elliot needs to make way for Mbye.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a weird outrage against Mbye.

Agreed, Reynolds has done enough to start next week with Mbye on the bench
Matey he's getting paid the big bucks and he isn't stepping up.

Take a look at hokko at knights, he's taking command and he did that here as well.

The bigger your pay packet usually means the better and more focal point of the team you are which also leads to bigger criticism.

I really genuinely struggle to understand that if you have the core basic skills under your wing, that you should be able to train those skills to be better and then game management should be a fairly simple thing, it's a thinking man's position.

So what I'm saying is mbye has those basic core skills that should be improved upon but he's failed to show any progression

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Reynolds plays one game at the minimum standard required for FG for a 5/8 and he is now the messiah. 1 game in like 2-21/2 years. Ever think that the reason Reynolds goes "looking for the ball" more than Mbye is because Reynolds was gifted the better position over Mbye and get's to choose these things. Both are 5/8's not a HB, I think this point we all agree on. Mbye has been forced to be the "organiser" even though that is not his natural game right now. Reynold's is older, more experienced and a SOO player yet still cannot do this. Reynolds wants 800k per season. The way Reynolds played last night is the minimum he is required to play every single game for that amount of money or even to hold a halves position in FG. My hat off to JR, he played great last night and I love his passion.

Had JR been able to run a proper line last night we score 2-3 more tries, the amount of gaps there was on the inside and for straight running was massive. There was like 3-4 opportunities alone for that Slater type play just for Abbey alone. You mix Frawley with the speed and proper line running of Mbye than I guarantee some attacking footy we have long since forgotten in this team. Reynolds in this team is best as a utility player replacing Liccha with 15 minutes to go at the end of each half or to ignite some unorthodox play in chasing points. Come on with some up tempo and passion to ensure we keep the intensity up high in the danger times at the end of the halves. A half should not run crazy across field like he does as it destroys any space for our backs, this has been a massive fault for years. Early round in glimpses showed what blokes like Lee can do given early ball with open ground to challenge his opposite number, this cannot happen if old mate runs across and wastes the field.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, dont agree. Because knowing when to go looking for the ball and injecting yourself is also a skillset, and Reynolds has that in spades over Mbye. Mbye is way too passive for mine.
That's 1 thing he has over Mbye which may or may not be a matter of time, confidence and development. Mbye has speed, agility, passing, playmaking, defence and a higher talent threshold in spades on Reynolds without the 2-3 errors or penalties a game.

He's already had a better career year in 3 years then Reynolds in 6 years - while being played out of position.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing is it's going to come down to who's on contract. If we don't chase Brooks or Moses then Hasler might see the future as Mbye/Frawley simply because Mbye is already contracted and Frawley cheap to re-sign.

If Hasler is coach I can never see Mbye used as a fullback. Maybe if Lichaa isn't re-signed he may move into Hooker in which case Reynolds may stay, but not for $800k.

Hasler needs to grow a set and leave Reynolds and Frawley together to see if there is potential though, nothing can be based on 1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.