Opinion Replacements For Good Friday Match Not NRL Standard

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We saw exactly why Topine doesn’t usually get a look in. A lot of energy, but not much effectiveness. Morrin and Preston were average too. We know Preston is a first grader and Morrin not far from one, but rookies often have a bad game mixed in with the good and will rarely deliver when they have more responsibility to shoulder.

To think we might have beaten the bunnies with a starting pack of Mahoney, King, Sutton, Waddell, Preston and Edwards was folly. I thought we might pull an upset, but how we were dominated in the forwards came as no surprise either. Only Reed, Max and Corey have played well this season. I’ve been underwhelmed with Sutton.

On the brightside I was pleasantly surprised by Edwards’ performance. He was quite good. At least we know where we stand when it comes to some of these fringe players.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like what I've seen from Edwards, not just yesterday but also in NSW cup this year.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might be right, but throwing him in the centres to partner a makeshift winger was always going to be an impossible challange.
I don’t blame him for his positional deficiency in that case, but in general he just isn’t remarkable. He is barely bench worthy tbh.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We saw exactly why Topine doesn’t usually get a look in. A lot of energy, but not much effectiveness. Morrin and Preston were average too. We know Preston is a first grader and Morrin not far from one, but rookies often have a bad game mixed in with the good and will rarely deliver when they have more responsibility to shoulder.

To think we might have beaten the bunnies with a starting pack of Mahoney, King, Sutton, Waddell, Preston and Edwards was folly. I thought we might pull an upset, but how we were dominated in the forwards came as no surprise either. Only Reed, Max and Corey have played well this season. I’ve been underwhelmed with Sutton.

On the brightside I was pleasantly surprised by Edwards’ performance. He was quite good. At least we know where we stand when it comes to some of these fringe players.
Yeh it works out ok with the win ratio our top side coming back and a good idea of where these guys are at.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You might be right, but throwing him in the centres to partner a makeshift winger was always going to be an impossible challange.
He was a failed experiment in the centres in the trial. More ineffective than Schoupp.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Seriously having a shot at Topine ?

The bloke is a right edge backrower and he had to play left centre with a natural right centre outside him out of position on the left wing... Then had to cop with the sin bin of Preston and the woeful non existent defence of Matt Burton.

Topine was in the hardest position to defend on the field, for what was mentioned above coupled with Souths being smart and targetting that edge due to Fox's absence.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not many first graders in that pack yesterday, we need troops back, JAC is a massive loss for 2 months.
Losing him mid game affected us way worse than anyone would’ve expected really. In most other weeks Okunbor is there to take his place (and good reason for him being on the bench).

At least they can prepare with someone else, knowing he’s unavailable for a while. I reckon Alamoti missed his coaching as much as anything, hence why I expect Burns to replace Jac.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously having a shot at Topine ?

The bloke is a right edge backrower and he had to play left centre with a natural right centre outside him out of position on the left wing... Then had to cop with the sin bin of Preston and the woeful non existent defence of Matt Burton.

Topine was in the hardest position to defend on the field, for what was mentioned above coupled with Souths being smart and targetting that edge due to Fox's absence.
I also criticised Morrin and Preston aye. Reality is, it took us to be without 8 or so other players before coach picked Topine.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Topine playing out of position in the centres, not really fair to judge him on that (same with Alamoti on the wing, etc.). If you want to go off previous performances fair but I'd rather see him in the team over Waddell any day (and same with Morrin).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Topine playing out of position in the centres, not really fair to judge him on that (same with Alamoti on the wing, etc.). If you want to go off previous performances fair but I'd rather see him in the team over Waddell any day (and same with Morrin).
Waddell is easily better than both of them.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Coach should have moved Burton to centre and Reynolds to 5/8.. Rookie coach error.
We’ll beat Parra after a good spell.
Up the Dogs!!

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topine is just not jelling within first grade. We saw that at the trials. There’s obviously big reasons as to why it took about 7 injuries for him to finally get a spot.

I feel there is potential with Morrin and Edwards but yesterdays game was a big ask. Losing JAC was a huge one and with Burton struggling and Reyno being useless, the younger guys lacked having a leader within the group.

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I also criticised Morrin and Preston aye. Reality is, it took us to be without 8 or so other players before coach picked Topine.
That is the reality, but he wasn't our issue main yesterday, he was a victim of forced reshuffle

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Losing him mid game affected us way worse than anyone would’ve expected really. In most other weeks Okunbor is there to take his place (and good reason for him being on the bench).

At least they can prepare with someone else, knowing he’s unavailable for a while. I reckon Alamoti missed his coaching as much as anything, hence why I expect Burns to replace Jac.
Alamoti's lack of pace really got exposed on the wing, JAC makes up for defensive lapses with his electric acceleration.

Lesson learnt for Ciraldo in my opinion, showed his inexperience there putting Topine and Alamoti in that position.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alamoti's lack of pace really got exposed on the wing, JAC makes up for defensive lapses with his electric acceleration.

Lesson learnt for Ciraldo in my opinion, showed his inexperience there putting Topine and Alamoti in that position.
Yep. I knew that was the case, but that game showed just how extreme it was. JAC can stuff up often coming in off his wing etc, but like you said his pace often covers his or Paul’s mistakes.

It’s funny actually because we did a smart thing by exposing their fill-in winger Milne, with Kiraz and Avo scoring that try, then they took advantage and exposed us way worse by scoring 4 or 5 tries down Jac’s wing after he left the field.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Coach should have moved Burton to centre and Reynolds to 5/8.. Rookie coach error.
Up the Dogs!!
The days of moving second rowers to the centres is dead. This was the correct call but the assistant couldn’t see it

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Up the Dogs!!
I did think this during the game, but I don't think Reynolds's fitness levels are there to play a whole game.

And although I agree, it's a hard call to move the 5/8 that single handedly won you the game the week before to the Centres for a 34 year old sub.