Religious Discussion Thread

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it was a valid question, as we should be willing to answer those types of questions regardless.
It's only valid if it's genuine. You cannot make assumptions that because you believe abortion is wrong then you must believe in God. Plenty of people of no faith believe abortion is wrong.

If I came out with a statement saying Abortion is wrong because it's against my faith, then by all means lets bring God into this argument. But I didn't make that statement.

I hope you understand the difference.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
But according to you God never killed first borns. It's just a story to you
That's right, hence I don't have to live my life or believe in the morals that are in the bible, or justify the bibles many contradictions. That's left up to those that believe in the bible and I'm asking how those people reconcile their beliefs with a God who killed the first born of Egypt

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't alluding that we're on the same level as God. Rather that I would've expected God to be an example of how we should carry ourselves, as we should be on God's path right? Hence, we're created in his image and we should live our lives on his path, therefore if he kills first borns.....
Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood. Yes we should live our lives according to the standards he has set for us as "the created". He lays out hiw we should live our lives throughout the bible but alot of his expectations for our standard of living are seen early on in the pentateuch.

He creates life he can take it away - and does.

We cannot create like God creates therefore we can't murder his created beings.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still waiting on what this has to do with me thinking abortion is wrong? You know there are people of non-faith who also believe abortion is wrong.
No I get it, abortions by doctors are wrong, miscarriages by [insert any cause other than god here] are also wrong.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No question is still valid, there are plenty of people who base their morals on what's written in the bible. Again, God killing the first born of Egypt has nothing to do with me, as I don't base my morality on the bible.

And you can avoid the question as much as you want but this still does not deter that the bible is a moral guideline for you. That you choose to believe in the words in the bible, that they are from a supreme being in God, and that this God sets the outlines of morality for those that believe in the bible.

But in any case, let's take the hypothesis that you base your stance against abortion only from your own morals and not of the bible. Hence, how do you reconcile your stance against abortion and each life being precious with a God, which you believe in,

21 refers to something else not the year
who killed the first born of Egypt?
It definitely was not a statement based on my faith. You won't be taking me down a rabbit whole that's for sure.
Abortion is killing, end of. If I made the statement that I base my belief about abortion on my faith then go ahead ask the question.

Tuffers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some incredible mental gymnastics occurring in this thread.

Btw you are committing genocide every time you rub one out, and God is watching you while you do it. I expect that knowledge would make some here even more erect (for different reasons).

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ah ok, sorry I misunderstood. Yes we should live our lives according to the standards he has set for us as "the created". He lays out hiw we should live our lives throughout the bible but alot of his expectations for our standard of living are seen early on in the pentateuch.

He creates life he can take it away - and does.

We cannot create like God creates therefore we can't murder his created beings.
As southy said

Do as i say not as i do ..perhaps?
This is an example of moral behaviour?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Btw you are committing genocide every time you rub one out, and God is watching you while you do it. I expect that knowledge would make some here even more erect (for different reasons).
Awww what the heck..let’s post it again!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It definitely was not a statement based on my faith. You won't be taking me down a rabbit whole that's for sure.
Abortion is killing, end of. If I made the statement that I base my belief about abortion on my faith then go ahead ask the question.
To break it down for you

You believe, of your own morals nothing to do with the bible, that every life is precious and shouldn't be ended unjustifiably

Now I'm asking you

Because God got the shits with Pharaoh, he decided to kill a whole bunch of first born Egyptians (men/boys/children/babies), who had nothing to do with God's gripe with Pharaoh

Hence how do you reconcile that the God you believe in killed a whole bunch of innocents with your belief that every life is precious

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I jerk of into the toilet and pretend im stalin even put on a russian accent " Ha ha no food for you go straight to the gulag"

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's right, hence I don't have to live my life or believe in the morals that are in the bible, or justify the bibles many contradictions. That's left up to those that believe in the bible and I'm asking how those people reconcile their beliefs with a God who killed the first born of Egypt
Well good for you then. You're free to do what you want.
My statement about abortion being wrong is purely a secular one. Same with killing an innocent man walking across the street, you don't have to be religious to know that is wrong.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As southy said

This is an example of moral behaviour?
We do this all the time, we tell our children not to do things we can do for their protection and the good of others.

We also have laws in place that stop un accredited professionals doing things they are not accredited for.

We have authorities who can run red lights for the good of the community.

And we have a creator who can give and take life as he desires.

God is more powerful and esteemed then any king, president, policeman, etc..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
To break it down for you

You believe, of your own morals nothing to do with the bible, that every life is precious and shouldn't be ended unjustifiably

Now I'm asking you

Because God got the shits with Pharaoh, he decided to kill a whole bunch of first born Egyptians (men/boys/children/babies), who had nothing to do with God's gripe with Pharaoh

Hence how do you reconcile that the God you believe in killed a whole bunch of innocents with your belief that every life is precious
Again my view on abortion has nothing to do with my faith.

Tuffers

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So he has a Narcissistic personality disorder
? @Tuffers you be a qualified shrink can you diagnose god?
Short answer: God ain't real.
Long answer: God is the projection of an individual's own moral beliefs and personal values onto a conceptual omnipotent being that creates an environment for cognitive dissonance to explain away thoughts and behaviours that themselves or others may find repugnant. This expunges the person from individual responsibility and thought.

"God says...."
"The bible tells me..."
"My priest helped me understand..."
"Everyone else in my congregation..."

Saying that God gave everyone free will is not a valid response. People are just animals with better cognitive capacities than dogs, birds and fish. Free will is as much a coping strategy as believing in God (or democracy, or psychotherapy).

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well good for you then. You're free to do what you want.
My statement about abortion being wrong is purely a secular one. Same with killing an innocent man walking across the street, you don't have to be religious to know that is wrong.
I think what PE21 is trying to ask is:

Is killing the first born of 1000s of Egyptians bad?

Surely if killing an innocent man walking across the street is bad. If killing an unborn child is bad. Killing 1000s of innocent gypos is bad.

To say it isnt, would be hypocritical of whatever individual, organisation, cult is saying it.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think what PE21 is trying to ask is:

Is killing the first born of 1000s of Egyptians bad?

Surely if killing an innocent man walking across the street is bad. If killing an unborn child is bad. Killing 1000s of innocent gypos is bad.

To say it isnt, would be hypocritical of whatever individual, organisation, cult is saying it.
I know what he is trying to say. And it’s an attempt to discredit my faith displaying hypocritical arguments. Picked it from his very first post.
It’s a fair question if I was basing my statement on my faith. But I’m not, it’s my own secular view on abortion and I would have the same view whether I was a Christian or not.

I can answer his question if I wanted but choose not to because I believe it’s not made with good intention but rather an attempt to discredit the Bible.

Would his question be any different if I was someone of no faith?

At the end of the day, it’s a matter of humans killing humans and its where my argument stands at. And we have no right to do that. As for God, well God gives and God takes and the reason behind Gods actions is far beyond our understanding. Sure call it a cop out, but God could of made us to live forever and not even die from natural causes, why didn’t He? I don’t know. But what I do know is that no human has the right to take another humans life. And to me, abortion is the same as killing anyone else.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the end of the day, it’s a matter of humans killing humans and its where my argument stands at. And we have no right to do that. As for God, well God gives and God takes and the reason behind Gods actions is far beyond our understanding. Sure call it a cop out, but God could of made us to live forever and not even die from natural causes, why didn’t He? I don’t know. But what I do know is that no human has the right to take another humans life. And to me, abortion is the same as killing anyone else.
I guess thats where we differ.

To me. I don't ask the question of why. There is no why (justification) killing innocent people (in this case the first born Egyptians)... esp if the being doing/allowing the killing made a commandment saying "thou shall not kill" and has the unlimited power to achieve his goals without killing