Religious Discussion Thread

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol - u can stick a gazzilion books demonstrating evolution. You can show evolution actually occurring in real time - but devout godists still won't buy it.

U stick some entity in front of me who can create or do something that science cannot explain, then I would believe in it.

So - I'm open to a different view. Can u say the same?

And if the views of a Sydney lawyer doing science were demonstrable evidence - we wouldn't be having this conversation.
I can't see how evolution (which is so obvious that any blind moron should be able to see) disproves the existance of an Almighty creater.
In fact I believe that evolution strengthens the concept of the existance of the Almighty Creater, I just can;t see why athiests believe or want to believe that evolution disproves the existance of God.
The fact that science has barely scratched the surface when it comes to aquireing knowledge ie disproving the existance of God, your argument is very premature.
BTW even the devout athiest Hawkins and all his theories did not disprove the existance of an Almighty Creator IMO..
Athiests love the saying if their is a God why isn't he here fixing all these peoples and my problems, then look at what the 2 who were crucified on each side of Jesus have to say to Him..

Last edited:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I can't see how evolution (which is so obvious that any blind moron should be able to see) disproves the existance of an Almighty creater.
In fact I believe that evolution strengthens the concept of the existance of the Almighty Creater, I just can;t see why athiests believe or want to believe that evolution disproves the existance of God.
The fact that science has barely scratched the surface when it comes to aquireing knowledge ie disproving the existance of God, your argument is very premature.
BTW even the devout athiest Hawkins and all his theories did not disprove the existance of an Almighty Creator IMO..
Athiests love the saying if their is a God why isn't he here fixing all these peoples and my problems, then look at what the 2 who were crucified on each side of Jesus have to say to Him..
Didn't say it disproves God. Just that most Godists won't buy it as they think its an attempt to disprove God. Good for you then.

And the counter to your argument about science is religion hasn't proved the existence of God - so touche.

And Hawking (who I assume you are talking about) fkcd up the energy budget for black holes. His great claim to fame was disproved 10 years later. but thats what science is. We work in evidence to suggest not absolutes. If something is proven - its a law and doesn't need science. Credit to Hawking, if he could disprove God - we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And they have a point. Atheists aren't pushing an all knowing and understanding. If something is good, its Gods work apparently and if something is bad, well God has a plan and its part of the plan. Sounds like most public servants I know.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't say it disproves God. Just that most Godists won't buy it as they think its an attempt to disprove God. Good for you then.

And the counter to your argument about science is religion hasn't proved the existence of God - so touche.

And Hawking (who I assume you are talking about) fkcd up the energy budget for black holes. His great claim to fame was disproved 10 years later. but thats what science is. We work in evidence to suggest not absolutes. If something is proven - its a law and doesn't need science. Credit to Hawking, if he could disprove God - we wouldn't be having this discussion.

And they have a point. Atheists aren't pushing an all knowing and understanding. If something is good, its Gods work apparently and if something is bad, well God has a plan and its part of the plan. Sounds like most public servants I know.
It's the classic God of the Gaps argument.

If there's something we don't know, it could be God. But it's probably not God. It's probably just something we haven't figured out yet. But it could be God.

I do like when theists also support religion though. It shows they have some willingness to accept evidence and not put ideology ahead of logic. For now.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
It's the classic God of the Gaps argument.

If there's something we don't know, it could be God. But it's probably not God. It's probably just something we haven't figured out yet. But it could be God.

I do like when theists also support religion though. It shows they have some willingness to accept evidence and not put ideology ahead of logic. For now.
U think too much about this stuff bro. I take a simple view. Happy in most cases of the societal decisions that underpin religions. Unhappy generally that religions are like politics. U work your way to the top and then enjoy the benefits. Hard to rationalise the concept of the society with the behaviour of the leadership.

Whether God exists or not is irrelevant imv. Comfortable in life that whatever comes, comes.

There is elegance in parsimony.

And there is fun in needling religious dudes :grinning:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
U think too much about this stuff bro. I take a simple view. Happy in most cases of the societal decisions that underpin religions. Unhappy generally that religions are like politics. U work your way to the top and then enjoy the benefits. Hard to rationalise the concept of the society with the behaviour of the leadership.

Whether God exists or not is irrelevant imv. Comfortable in life that whatever comes, comes.

There is elegance in parsimony.

And there is fun in needling religious dudes :grinning:
I like the depth you can go into when discussing philosophy and theology. But when it comes to actual religion in society, my stance is pretty simple. Believe whatever you want as long as you don't use your beliefs to control the lives of others.

For example. You can believe that our Universe was creating by a turtle vomiting, and that's fine. But the moment you say, "you shouldn't be able to do this because God said...", that's when I'm going to get annoyed.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I like the depth you can go into when discussing philosophy and theology. But when it comes to actual religion in society, my stance is pretty simple. Believe whatever you want as long as you don't use your beliefs to control the lives of others.

For example. You can believe that our Universe was creating by a turtle vomiting, and that's fine. But the moment you say, "you shouldn't be able to do this because God said...", that's when I'm going to get annoyed.
In our religion its a Lizard vomiting (yes, the Holy Hurl) but I can understand how you simple humans could make a mistake. Both reptiles after all.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In our religion its a Lizard vomiting (yes, the Holy Hurl) but I can understand how you simple humans could make a mistake. Both reptiles after all.
The turtle throwing up to create the Universe was based Stephen King's work. But that story went a bit crazy so maybe don't follow that one unless you're a trusted fuck like Stephen King.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The turtle throwing up to create the Universe was based Stephen King's work. But that story went a bit crazy so maybe don't follow that one unless you're a trusted fuck like Stephen King.
Wait a minute..... aren't we living on a flat earth on top of a turtle?

It's all falling into place.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you're saying that Religious people shouldn't speak up on issues which they believe are both God's teachings and also good for society.
As for you quoting "you shouldn't be able to do this because God said", Why should athiests even worry about what God says when they don't believe He exists. I and many others don't take to heart anything Putin says and I'm very sure that he does exist.
AS for someone who believes in God, complaining about someone quoting what is written in the bible, I'l leave that to you.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
But the moment you say, "you shouldn't be able to do this because God said...", that's when I'm going to get annoyed.
Would you be annoyed it the rule of man were the rule of God IE 10 commandments?

I reckon the world would be a better place if people followed the 10 commandments.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would you be annoyed it the rule of man were the rule of God IE 10 commandments?

I reckon the world would be a better place if people followed the 10 commandments.
To be fair. Even the 10 commandments are open to interpretation depending on what denomination you follow.

What becomes annoying for example. Is a Catholic telling an athiest homosexual (publicly or privately) he is going to hell because God said so. Preach to the catholic community, in your church or catholic forums. That homosexual shouldn't have to feel ridiculed or judged by a religion he doesnt have any affiliation eith. If God is real, the homosexual will answer to God, not the individual. Thats just annoying, doesn't make it wrong

Whats wrong. Is when the individual actively attempts to stop another from living their life. Ie legal reforms

I was the same when a group of athiests wanted the church to marry a gay couple. Leave them alone.

Live and let live.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So you're saying that Religious people shouldn't speak up on issues which they believe are both God's teachings and also good for society.
As for you quoting "you shouldn't be able to do this because God said", Why should athiests even worry about what God says when they don't believe He exists. I and many others don't take to heart anything Putin says and I'm very sure that he does exist.
AS for someone who believes in God, complaining about someone quoting what is written in the bible, I'l leave that to you.
No. Christians most definitely should speak up. But there's a difference between speaking out and actively working to make others lives worse.

For example, a Christian saying "I personally see marriage as a union of a man and a woman" could be divisive, but it's not really doing harm. A Christian actually working to stop gay couples from marrying, and encouraging others to attempt to stop it, that's different. Because it's no longer about raising concern. It's about restricting people from being free.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Yep, I would be annoyed. It's like the US Constitution. I'm sure it was good for the time, but times change. As times change, laws need to change too.

For example, "you shall have no other Gods before me"

That makes all other religions illegal.

"you shall not make idols"

That makes most TV shows illegal. Most kids toys could be considered "idols" too.

No working on the Sabbath, can't say "Jesus" when I stub my toe, can't even covet. Without coveting, life would be so boring.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
To be fair. Even the 10 commandments are open to interpretation depending on what denomination you follow.

What becomes annoying for example. Is a Catholic telling an athiest homosexual (publicly or privately) he is going to hell because God said so. Preach to the catholic community, in your church or catholic forums. That homosexual shouldn't have to feel ridiculed or judged by a religion he doesnt have any affiliation eith. If God is real, the homosexual will answer to God, not the individual. Thats just annoying, doesn't make it wrong

Whats wrong. Is when the individual actively attempts to stop another from living their life. Ie legal reforms

I was the same when a group of athiests wanted the church to marry a gay couple. Leave them alone.

Live and let live.
Yep, I would be annoyed. It's like the US Constitution. I'm sure it was good for the time, but times change. As times change, laws need to change too.

For example, "you shall have no other Gods before me"

That makes all other religions illegal.

"you shall not make idols"

That makes most TV shows illegal. Most kids toys could be considered "idols" too.

No working on the Sabbath, can't say "Jesus" when I stub my toe, can't even covet. Without coveting, life would be so boring.
My bad, I was more asking about the "secular" rules, just didn't word it right.

IE...

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

That's actually going beyond what the law of man requires.

Also, believers or not, living by just these will make you a good person and not just a good citizen and will stop a lot of problems.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

IE...

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

Also, believers or not, living by just these will make you a good person and will stop a lot of problems.
Although I wouldn’t mind coveting my neighbour’s wife’s ass..

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

IE...

6. Thou shalt not kill.
8. Thou shalt not steal.

Also, believers or not, living by just these will make you a good person and not just a good citizen and will stop a lot of problems.
What if I want to cover my neighbour's ass? What if my neighbour has a great ass?