News Reed Mahoney On Ending Canterbury's Eight-Year Curse At Hooker

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport Michael Carayannis and David Riccio

Canterbury recruit Reed Mahoney opens up on what he can bring to the club, how he will unlock the team’s superstar half.

It’s taken eight long and frustrating seasons, but in the eyes of many, the Bulldogs have finally found their answer to former captain Michael Ennis.

Eels grand final hooker Reed Mahoney will officially commence his NRL journey as a Bulldog on Monday and the high-profile recruit has a powerful source of motivation.

“I want to be the best, that’s who I am,’’ Mahoney said.

“I’m going there to win.

“I’m not going there for any other reason. I see it as a big challenge in this chapter of my career.

“I’ve closed the book on one chapter and opened up another one.

All my experiences at Parramatta I’m taking with me. I can’t wait.’’

BIG SIGNING PRESSURE

Mahoney represents the Bulldogs new breed.

Alongside Penrith powerhouse and fellow recruit Viliame Kikau, Mahoney’s arrival has Canterbury fans planning to wake-up on Christmas Day with belief in their stockings as opposed to the lumps of coal of previous years.

Already, many fans believe Mahoney is the best hooker to join the Dogs since Ennis led the club in 2014. Mahoney, 24, agreed that fans had every reason to feel excited.

But as for feeling the pressure of expectation, Mahoney said he wouldn’t be succumbing to it.

“I knew when I signed the contract 12 months ago, where it would lead me,’’ Mahoney said.

“It’s just me going out there and doing my job.

“What I’ve been doing at Parramatta is what I’ll need to do at Canterbury.

“That’s why I’m in this situation. I’m not going to go there and try to be someone I’m not.

“I’m just going to go there and be Reed Mahoney, which got me where I am today.

“I don’t need to change any of that.

“The only thing I can change is getting better as a player and helping my teammates do better.’’

THE SPINE

Mahoney gave a great insight into how he was able to strike such a lethal spine combination at Parramatta with chief playmakers Dylan Brown, Mitchell Moses and Clint Gutherson.

He shed light on how he intends to adopt a similar philosophy to get the Canterbury spine of Jake Averillo, Matt Burton and Kyle Flanagan in-tune and firing.

“When Burto (Matt Burton) gets back from his time off, we’ll all sit down and talk about what we want to do,’’ Mahoney said.

“The spine is the rock for the other players in the team to perform, so we all need to be on the same page.

“It won’t be about trying to outdo each other. It’s that we’re trying to work together.

“It’s about understanding each other’s roles and understanding what each player is best at.

“It’s little things like how you want the ball passed to you. How we communicate, when they want the ball.

“Those things go a long way.

“Obviously Burto has got the biggest boot in the game, so we need to work out a way where we can get that to work.

“But also, so that it’s not something that we have to go to all the time.’’

FITTER, FASTER

Despite helping drive the Eels to the 2022 grand final, Mahoney provided a surprising revelation about his bank of fitness that got him there.

Despite playing the most number of games (28) in one season in his entire career, Mahoney said that on the back of a shoulder reconstruction in August 2021, it took him until mid-year to perform under duress and his rhythm.

“Last year I had my shoulder done and I came back heavier than I’m used to,’’ Mahoney said.

“This year, I want to be a bit more agile. I feel now my shoulder is right, I feel like my body is starting to adapt.

“It can take a long time to get back, because with a shoulder injury, everything around it doesn’t work.

“I didn’t have a full pre-season which doesn’t help.

“It took me until the back end of the year to turn up in places (on the field) where I wanted to turn up.

“At the start of the year, I just couldn’t get there.’’

LEADERSHIP VOID

Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo is already down a leader – and not just any leader – with the sudden retirement of club stalwart Josh Jackson.

Mahoney, with his elite-level consistency shown over the course of the past four seasons and across 100 NRL Games, is likely to be called upon by Ciraldo to help fill the leadership void.

“I’ve played 100 games and I feel the experience from that helps you in how to deal with people and how to get the best out of the players around you,’’ Mahoney said.

“For me it’s turning up to training and building respect through my actions at training.

“That’s what I live for. That’s who I am.

“That’s how I’ve got to where I am today, through how hard I’ve worked and how determined I am.

“That’s how I’m going to build respect and that’s how I’ll lead, through my actions.’’

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See these are the parts that the negative fans miss, the ones who call him fat or not good enough, shoulder surgery is a big deal, as he says, so much around the repaired area post surgery also doesn’t work, it takes time to get the whole shoulder arm and chest back into action … and it made him miss a whole pre season … he’ll be a gun for us … great signing ..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I never used to get the hype about Danny Buderas when he was regularly the origin or Australian hooker. But as I got older it dawned on me how important great ball distribution is to letting the team get momentum. We saw a strong forward pack go downhill fast when Lichaa replaced Ennis. At a bare minimum, Mahoney has some vision and the ability to send crisp timely passes the right way when something is on. I'm not going to put massive expectations on him, but hopefully he gets the rest of the 17 closer to their best football.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I never used to get the hype about Danny Buderas when he was regularly the origin or Australian hooker. But as I got older it dawned on me how important great ball distribution is to letting the team get momentum. We saw a strong forward pack go downhill fast when Lichaa replaced Ennis. At a bare minimum, Mahoney has some vision and the ability to send crisp timely passes the right way when something is on. I'm not going to put massive expectations on him, but hopefully he gets the rest of the 17 closer to their best football.
I think we all underestimated Ennis's outstanding crisp service when he was here. We complained that he was too slow out of dummy half, everyone wanted the Issac Luke type.
Fast forward a couple of years and Issac Luke finished his career in reserve grade and Ennis went out as a premiership winner.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we all underestimated Ennis's outstanding crisp service when he was here. We complained that he was too slow out of dummy half, everyone wanted the Issac Luke type.
Fast forward a couple of years and Issac Luke finished his career in reserve grade and Ennis went out as a premiership winner.
I still appreciated Ennis. But in saying that, I also still thought Tolman was a decent prop when he left, Stagg was underrated, Andrew Ryan was still great, Jackson was better than his critics thought etc etc. In short not every player has to be flashy to be quality. And for hookers especially, they can look flashy with the occasional good DH run but still be shit at the basics.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kikau might be a more talented and destructive player but I think Mahoney will be a more important signing as he'll get the whole team looking better with his service and control of the ruck.

I'm confident he'll be fitter and stronger next season and have his best season in a while with more responsibility and freedom with us than he had at Parra having to defer to Moses, Gutherson and Brown so often.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we all hated the way Hasler had them playing Ennis had a good short kicking game and we never saw it at the dogs!!!
I look forward to seeing reeds first 40/20 and great to have another kicking option

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was great that JMK was able to have his best season this year, but I'm super excited about Mahoney's return. He'll be good for Kyle as well as both halves will have more time to work with.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“When Burto (Matt Burton) gets back from his time off, we’ll all sit down and talk about what we want to do,’’ Mahoney said.

“The spine is the rock for the other players in the team to perform, so we all need to be on the same page.

“It won’t be about trying to outdo each other. It’s that we’re trying to work together.

“It’s about understanding each other’s roles and understanding what each player is best at.

“It’s little things like how you want the ball passed to you. How we communicate, when they want the ball.

“Those things go a long way.

“Obviously Burto has got the biggest boot in the game, so we need to work out a way where we can get that to work.

“But also, so that it’s not something that we have to go to all the time.’’
Wonder if JMK was thinking like this before last pre-season? He's played the same amount of games and been around as long as Reed! Can you imagine JMK trying to vary his passes to suit the receiver? More like, "here comes another hail mary no matter who you are".

Good luck to JMK, but it's high quality vs barely average.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just reading his interview and comparing it to JMKs interview at the start of this season. Mahoney is vocal about working as part of the spine and realising he needs to adapt to player needs about how they like to receive the ball. Talking about the spine as a key part of the team and needing to work together.

Compare that to JMKs story about how he wanted to be the best hooker. Speaks volumes for mine.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just reading his interview and comparing it to JMKs interview at the start of this season. Mahoney is vocal about working as part of the spine and realising he needs to adapt to player needs about how they like to receive the ball. Talking about the spine as a key part of the team and needing to work together.

Compare that to JMKs story about how he wanted to be the best hooker. Speaks volumes for mine.
It makes me wonder how much work previous coaches were doing with Jeremy on his service.. His running game got better but he never really developed a solid passing game. All the best teams generally have a 9 who gives his forwards and spine plenty to work off.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
See these are the parts that the negative fans miss, the ones who call him fat or not good enough, shoulder surgery is a big deal, as he says, so much around the repaired area post surgery also doesn’t work, it takes time to get the whole shoulder arm and chest back into action … and it made him miss a whole pre season … he’ll be a gun for us … great signing ..
If not, like every gun - he can be fired.

Sir dogeth style

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reed was saving himself for the dogs and was unhappy at parra, the bloke had a blue and white jersey on before the season ended thats how quick he wanted out, light pre season look after his shoulder, and boom round 1 we will be a killing machine.. he will be leadership material in no time

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Good we finally got a top line hooker again. Ive been burning since we let Ennis go, who won a premiership after leaving, and at the time we had Damien Cook in reserves and let him go too. Both lost to keep shit lichaa who doesnt even play fg now.