News Reed Mahoney names player to watch this season

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preston will force his way onto the bench after a couple of rounds. He puts more in then some of the starting forwards

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Actually the first 35mins we were 1 try apart with the team that ran 2nd last year , As usual TK overeating again
The game blew open the more our middles got rolled. Sharks only made the 1 line break in the first half with the second and third try coming from kicks. Our middles getting rolled so easily is the concern though, if that happens in the NRL then our edges will continue to be exposed like they were after the opening half of the game.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Haha
Mahoney asked about the spine.
"the detail of things we didn't get right we'll have a look at and that's what trials are for."
So they've got to the 'looking at things stage'. That's reassuring.
At what point to do we get to the 'holy crap these other two guys are useless stage'?
Or is that what the first 4 rounds are four?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Originally I had Preston on the bench after the first trial, then after the second he did nothing but confirm that he is ready to be the right second-rower, as much as I like RFM unfortunately he is a bench player.
Bench middle for RFM. Come on when everyone is tired and show some energy through the middle.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea he definitely seems like a good player with great potential, think we got a good one here!!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon he'll be a long term starter for us. Gus is always proactive in extending and upgrading these guys ahead of time before other clubs come circling.
We should be looking to use some of the reported 650k we have available on the cap to extend Preston's contract

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The game blew open the more our middles got rolled. Sharks only made the 1 line break in the first half with the second and third try coming from kicks. Our middles getting rolled so easily is the concern though, if that happens in the NRL then our edges will continue to be exposed like they were after the opening half of the game.
Oh and avo excuse

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Has RFM even reached the top of the hill?
Its a pretty small hill. To me he is another player that projected potential but has never really nailed it. He doesnt dominate or intimidate, he doesnt run off the back fence and isnt a known big hitter in defence. Bench middle.

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We should be looking to use some of the reported 650k we have available on the cap to extend Preston's contract
Big fan of the kids work even before he signed here. But unless I’m wrong he signed a 2 year deal we don’t need to rush to upgrade him right now with this years residual cap.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Big fan of the kids work even before he signed here. But unless I’m wrong he signed a 2 year deal we don’t need to rush to upgrade him right now with this years residual cap.
I'm pretty sure King and Kiraz had another year left on their deal too but Gus had extended them by mid season last year... Gus will do the same with Preston. Gus has said numerous times that he'll always upgrade a player early if they prove they're worth it. It's a big part of why so many players are signing with us and why more are keen to stay.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The trial wasn't as bad as you claim. The team was competitive for the first 20 minutes. They then lost Kikau.
The coach then began to rotate players. The Sharks kept their main team on the park.
It was an exercise to see what the young pups could do. They went very well. There will be a very competitive team
in against Manly.
After 50 mins, both Sharks halves were subbed off for the remainder of the game and their forwards were also rested. It deadset would have been 50 points IF the Sharks kept their main team on the park.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Originally I had Preston on the bench after the first trial, then after the second he did nothing but confirm that he is ready to be the right second-rower, as much as I like RFM unfortunately he is a bench player.
I think he has to be. And part of the front row rotation too.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure King and Kiraz had another year left on their deal too but Gus had extended them by mid season last year... Gus will do the same with Preston. Gus has said numerous times that he'll always upgrade a player early if they prove they're worth it. It's a big part of why so many players are signing with us and why more are keen to stay.
Kingy was on a 1 year deal and Kiraz was on train and trial not even in the top 30.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Kingy was on a 1 year deal and Kiraz was on trail and trial not even in the top 30.
Yeah, you're right.. Still, he moved to upgrade them early. He might wait with Preston, but if he becomes a regular starter then I'm sure Gus will upgrade him from his minimum deal and maybe add an extra year on.