Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting Izzy's baggage aside for a minute, let's consider the fact he is 32, has not played NRL in a very long time, is asking more than he is worth at his age and we have already added plenty of quality to our outside backs and have a young star in Averillo who may well be pushed into the centres next year.

Would be a waste of money that would be much better spent elsewhere.
Exactly, anyone that wants him is insane

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Exactly, anyone that wants him is insane
Yep, past his best, comes with plenty of baggage and we have already added plenty of quality to our backline. Prop and hooker (assuming JMK or Wakeham don't shine under Barrett) are the areas we need to address.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hell no. We've finally got a positive vibe around the club and are building a great squad after years of struggling. We don't need the media circus that Folau would bring and risk rocking the boat all for a player who hasn't played in the NRL for years.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Putting Izzy's baggage aside for a minute, let's consider the fact he is 32, has not played NRL in a very long time, is asking more than he is worth at his age and we have already added plenty of quality to our outside backs and have a young star in Averillo who may well be pushed into the centres next year.

Would be a waste of money that would be much better spent elsewhere.
From a purely football perspective, he's still a very good athlete and would add another dimension to our attack with his aerial ability and he brings a lot of big game experience.

If we were in a premiership window, I'd take him over Hoppa, Okunbor, Meaney and DWZ... much rather Folau defusing bombs than any of the other three.

Having said all that, I wouldn't sign him for obvious reasons.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
From a purely football perspective, he's still a very good athlete and would add another dimension to our attack with his aerial ability and he brings a lot of big game experience.

If we were in a premiership window, I'd take him over Hoppa, Okunbor, Meaney and DWZ... much rather Folau defusing bombs than any of the other three.

Having said all that, I wouldn't sign him for obvious reasons.
Those players are all contracted, though....would you really want to go down that road of having to pay freight so contracted players can play elsewhere again? In any case, Meaney isn't on much coin, Hoppa has been very good for us up until last year and is a loyal bloke and good to have around the club....he deserves to play out at least one more year with us....Okunbor is young and I think he has the potential to be a very good player.... I just hope he has learnt from the school girl scandal, because we don't need rubbish like that going on at the club. DWZ has admittedly been very ordinary apart from his first year with us.....but he is contracted and I have hope he can find form again if we keep him on the wing where he belongs.

No doubt Folau has skills and is great under the high ball....he obviously has on field qualities that would be valuable to the team....but from a pragmatic POV, our window is probably still a year or two away. I don't want to be paying freight for players to play elsewhere just to sign a bloke who might be past his best when our window actually arrives....and that's not even getting into his baggage, which I think we are both in agreement about. I'm not saying he can't play...he is obviously a very talented footy player....I just think all things considered, the cons significantly outnumber the pros.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's get the facts down;

Folau is 31 currently, doesn't turn 32 until April.
He is 6 years YOUNGER than CSmith
He is 4 years younger than Bengi Marshall
He is 3 years younger than the Mozzies, Iosia Soliola, Blake Green and Ben Te'o
He is the same age as Jake Granville, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kevin Proctor, Mitchell Pearce, Jesse Bromwich, Andrew Fifita, Jordan Rapana, Elliott Whitehead, Trent Merrin, Russell Packer, Josh Hodgson, Leeson Ah Mau, Mark Nicholls, Cody Walker, Dean Whare, Andrew McCullough and Jake Friend.

He played 15 games of RUGBY LEAGUE last year for Catalans, played centre, their last game was 20th November, that's 11 weeks ago.
Scored 5 tries and was Man of the Match twice.

In 2019 (just over 1 year ago) he became the highest try scorer in Super Rugby history, playing for the Waratahs (not exactly a great Super Rugby team).

We can have plenty of reasons for not wanting him but his fitness, age and recent rugby league experience are not amongst them.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

He is the same age as Jake Granville, Daly Cherry-Evans, Kevin Proctor, Mitchell Pearce, Jesse Bromwich, Andrew Fifita, Jordan Rapana, Elliott Whitehead, Trent Merrin, Russell Packer, Josh Hodgson, Leeson Ah Mau, Mark Nicholls, Cody Walker, Dean Whare, Andrew McCullough and Jake Friend.

He played 15 games of RUGBY LEAGUE last year for Catalans, played centre, their last game was 20th November, that's 11 weeks ago.

In 2019 (just over 1 year ago) he became the highest try scorer in Super Rugby history, playing for the Waratahs (not exactly a great Super Rugby team).

We can have plenty of reasons for not wanting him but his fitness, age and recent rugby league experience are not amongst them.

Go Dogs
Playing in the Super League is not an accurate gauge on what an outside back will do in the NRL. It’s a rarity for any ESL backline player without recent NRL experience to come here and thrive. I’m not sure a few of those players you named support your argument either the majority aren’t outside backs so their age is irrelevant.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Go Dogs
All valid points you make, but at the end of the day the decision is a BIG FAT NO! He and his wife are prized twats that shouldn't even be talked about in the News Media.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Can cover 1-5 easily. With this new rule were you can't touch the attacking player contesting a bomb Izzy would be a penalty machine for us. Piss Hoppa off and sign Izzy instead.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think we have a place for him in our side as I see him at fullback or wing. I wouldn't care if any other team were to hire him. I don't care what religion someone follows & they should have the right to free speech even if some people think it is idiotic. Let him be laughed at - that's a free society. Unfortunately we are losing our freedoms daily at the moment.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Can cover 1-5 easily. With this new rule were you can't touch the attacking player contesting a bomb Izzy would be a penalty machine for us. Piss Hoppa off and sign Izzy instead.
Pay at least $200k for Hoppa to play elsewhere, $400-500k for Folau's contract and $200k transfer fee. That's almost $1 million. Madness.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No thanks.

Good player, not worth the drama.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay at least $200k for Hoppa to play elsewhere, $400-500k for Folau's contract and $200k transfer fee. That's almost $1 million. Madness.
Isn't Hopoate on $800k according to some, we would save that.

Go Dogs

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Isn't Hopoate on $800k according to some, we would save that.

Go Dogs
Who said that? I seriously doubt he's on 800k.....even if he is, we wouldn't save it unless we found another club willing to pay the full amount of his contract. If not, we'd have to make up the difference.....at least $300-400k.

No way we'll sign Folau. He wouldn't be on Trent's radar.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Who said that? I seriously doubt he's on 800k.....even if he is, we wouldn't save it unless we found another club willing to pay the full amount of his contract. If not, we'd have to make up the difference.....at least $300-400k.

No way we'll sign Folau. He wouldn't be on Trent's radar.
I didn't see him on the richest 100 list. I'd say he's on around 400ish maybe less? Who knows but it's definitely not 600-800k a year