1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Opinion Realistically, is there real chance that some clubs may die due to current situation?

Discussion in 'Rugby League General' started by CanterburybankstownBD, Mar 23, 2020.

1. CanterburybankstownBD

CanterburybankstownBD Kennel Regular

Read today there is a possibility that there will only be 10 teams next season if this season doesn’t go ahead. Are they serious?

If that did happen would all the players join surviving clubs? A lot of good players without a team due to salary cap or a lot players get pushed out.

2. btrainben

btrainben Kennel Immortal

I don't think that many would go belly up.

Between the NRL, Leagues Clubs, State and Local Governments, Private Investors or even Go Fund Me groups, there are certain teams that have too much history or too much value to a community to let die and through those means, I think they'll scrounge together enough money to survive.

Don't forget there will be a new TV Rights deal soon to inject some cash back into the game and the NRL would have to give a greater percentage of that money to clubs considering the circumstances.

I think realistically two or three clubs might go bust or be asked to relocate.

I think we'll stay at 16 teams. The Titans will become a second Brisbane team and another team (Cronulla?) might be forced to move to Perth where that consortium has enough money to finance a team for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moedogg

Moedogg Kennel Immortal

NRL can't keep propping up teams like the Titans who haven't looked winning a premiership since their Inception.... use that money as savings for a rainy day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Heckler

Heckler Kennel Enthusiast Gilded Premium Member

I reckon the Roosters cop a massive hit with the sharemarket diving. I'm wandering if Uncle Nick will hang around?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. yearofthedogs2018

yearofthedogs2018 Kennel Regular

Scott Morrison won’t let Cronulla fold, they’ll be saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scoooby

Scoooby Kennel Immortal Gilded Premium Member

As long as the bulldogs stay, that’s all that matters in terms of if a few teams do go. As long as it’s not US then SWEET :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  7. MatstaDogg

MatstaDogg The Bearded Baker Premium Member

If we were to fold, which i highly doubt, that would be the end of me and rugby league. No way could i ever support another team.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Kennel Immortal

Agree man, id need west coast pirates to come into the comp to be even remotely interested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scoooby

Scoooby Kennel Immortal Gilded Premium Member

Bloody oath, goes without saying man.!!! Bulldogs are the one and only.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alan79

Alan79 Kennel Immortal

The refereeing has meant that I can't even muster the enthusiasm to watch an Origin game anymore. So if our club folded I'd never watch league again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MatstaDogg

MatstaDogg The Bearded Baker Premium Member

The Bulldogs are the only thing that keep me interested, outside of that I could easily not give a damn about the NRL.

• Best Post Best Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. simmmo

simmmo Kennel Enthusiast

Everything needs to be done to ensure there are no casualties. Even if there's a reset, traditional clubs should not be left to die. If possible, they need to be rebooted with help from the governing body - whether that be the NRL or another body that succeeds it.

Rugby League would not be the same without the Dogs playing Parra and St George. Souths v Easts and so on. It's the tradition of the game that is in the hearts of fans. The fans love their clubs and the tradition of the game. The traditional Sydney clubs must survive along with all other clubs for the good of the game and for the fans. Super league never succeeded because it tried to dictate the product to the fans. Way too manufactured. Clubs like Canterbury, Parra, Souths St George etc are woven deep into the fabric of society. Anyone who wants to do away with with these icons of the game can go and get fcked as far as i'm concerned.

Love live Canterbury Bankstown and long live rugby league the greatest game of all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KambahOne

KambahOne Kennel Regular

Very big chance for clubs reliant on pokie machines as no one will be feeding them for months, but that is a great thing for those people.

If I had to make a list of those I think are in trouble:
    Manly
    Cronulla
    Titans

I also think with the trouble News Corpse are likely to face both the Broncos and Melb are on shaky ground.

I'd love to see lol@souffs collapse but then who would I hate with such passion?

14. CroydonDog

CroydonDog Kennel Immortal Gilded

1 and 3 on that list are privately owned, so it will be up to the owners if they want to keep chucking money in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. N4TE

N4TE DogsRhavnaParty

I’m the same would only ever watch State of Origin again and finally properly move to Newtown as my side. I live a block away from Henson Park and go to more Jets games these days.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nasheed

Nasheed Kennel Enthusiast

Our future is pretty much secure provided Manly fold before us so we relocate as the dogs have said behind closed doors.
    If not... who knows. I can't see them outliving the doggies but.

17. Riggs80

Riggs80 Previously AnonymousLurker

‘you are correct , the history of playing rivals makes the game, especially Sydney rivalries . Hence why aleague is a flop

18. Motorhead

Motorhead Kennel Regular

Would love nothing more than seeing Storm fold, dirty bastards have had a stink about them from day dot.
    Join the Rabbitohs and Roosters, let them kill each other. Unca Nick and Unca Wayne can hit the Over-80's swingers circuit together.
    Merge Dragqueens and Sharps. Make Illawarra a stand alone team again-loved the Steelers.
    Bring back North Sydney Bears, pack up GC Titans to Perth. Fuck yeah, bring it on I would be stoked with a re-jigged comp like that.
    Eels and Broncos can be kicked out too if need be. ........no loss there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. JackDog

JackDog Kennel Enthusiast

See RednGreenturd on Fox Sports saying the clubs with leagues clubs are in a more dire position than privately owned cos they have no income and private owners can provide money to prop their club up.

1. Yes they can...but will they?
    2. If the reporter $200m the CLC has is true, that’s about $50m more than the NRL...best you worry about your own backyard first Toddy!

Yes, it will be a struggle for the Dogs but somehow I can’t see the CLC letting the footy club fold

20. Dogtime

Dogtime Kennel Regular Premium Member

You poor bastard. Your missing the pinnacle of our great game. Maybe you don't understand it.