Questions about Magic Round!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I find this whole magic round is bullshit. Why? Because every damn year (that I can recall anyway) Brisbane Broncos are listed as an 'away' team when the damn round is held in their venue early year.

In addition, this year, co-tenants of Suncorp, the Dolphins, are also listed as an away team.

How on Earth is this fair? They get revenue from the stadium for a game that they are not hosting, and in addition to that, they get all the support.

Also, do all 16 participating teams get an equal share of ticket revenue across the weekend, or do all 17 teams, including Newcastle (bye) get the share?

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, it's a farce that every year broncos are classed as an away team, they essentially get one less away game per year and one extra home game per year compared to the other 16 teams, sick of the way the nrl are so biased to some teams.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I find this whole magic round is bullshit. Why? Because every damn year (that I can recall anyway) Brisbane Broncos are listed as an 'away' team when the damn round is held in their venue early year.

In addition, this year, co-tenants of Suncorp, the Dolphins, are also listed as an away team.

How on Earth is this fair? They get revenue from the stadium for a game that they are not hosting, and in addition to that, they get all the support.

Also, do all 16 participating teams get an equal share of ticket revenue across the weekend, or do all 17 teams, including Newcastle (bye) get the share?
Why do people still ask questions about the NRL using logic? The NRL is clearly unfair.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, it's a farce that every year broncos are classed as an away team, they essentially get one less away game per year and one extra home game per year compared to the other 16 teams, sick of the way the nrl are so biased to some teams.
Channel 9 owns a stake in broncos and so desperate for them to win, look at their draw and tell me it’s not bullshit ! Then compare our team and the shit turn around we’ve had. It’s literally a monopoly and it’s so corrupt

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Don't think it matters tbh. Still yet to see a player say they hate playing at the best RL ground in the world.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have a question...

Who genuinely thinks it's been a quality round of footy so far?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like every gimmicky thing the NRL does it's not really a benefit to the bulk of clubs. But for what it's worth I don't think the NRL actually gives one solitary shit if something they opt to implement puts the bulk of clubs at a disadvantage.

The pre season injury cup, or as it's officially called, the nines tournament has really messed up a number of teams who miss stars who've been injured in a cash grab for the NRL, pay tv providers and gambling agencies who benefit from more games that are pretty much a gimmick. They can see players out of action for months before the season begins. The compensation offered if someone were to lose a valuable spine player orva game breaker in any position is pretty much useless. It's not like there's a supply of superstars sitting at home looking for contracts.

So for Brisbane based fans, this might be a good thing. For Brisbane businesses it's great. But that's pretty much the only groups who get a boost of any kind.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Teams outside Sydney are generally guaranteed all their home games. Sydney fans are guaranteed two less home games for their club packages.

The NRL assumes that we have a choice of attending other games around Sydney if our side is playing away. That's not how fans see the game - they see themselves ripped off while sides like the Storm, Raiders, and Broncos get the extra advantage, which usually includes referees favouring the home team.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like every gimmicky thing the NRL does it's not really a benefit to the bulk of clubs. But for what it's worth I don't think the NRL actually gives one solitary shit if something they opt to implement puts the bulk of clubs at a disadvantage.

The pre season injury cup, or as it's officially called, the nines tournament has really messed up a number of teams who miss stars who've been injured in a cash grab for the NRL, pay tv providers and gambling agencies who benefit from more games that are pretty much a gimmick. They can see players out of action for months before the season begins. The compensation offered if someone were to lose a valuable spine player orva game breaker in any position is pretty much useless. It's not like there's a supply of superstars sitting at home looking for contracts.

So for Brisbane based fans, this might be a good thing. For Brisbane businesses it's great. But that's pretty much the only groups who get a boost of any kind.
There is also SOO, with no compensation for clubs who lose players to serious injury -and another event where Sydney is not allowed to host more than one game.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Magic round was fun again but I’d like to see it moved to Perth next year for something different. Sydney struggle with big events these days, Adelaide is boring, Melbourne do events well but it’s cold and full of people from Melbourne

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The concept I love. If didn’t have a young family I’d go for weekend. Everyone I know that’s been reckons it’s awesome.

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never even knew magic round existed. What is it and why was it created. Makes me sick

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Wahesh, you have hit a home run on a subject that I totally support.

I also find the Magic Round total b/s because year after year the same teams, Bulldogs, Sharks, Storm and Manly always forfeit a home game to be part of this concept. The only positive is that the home teams on each day split, the gate takings, so we get a share of the cash generated by 50,000 people On Friday night.

My thoughts are on why the Broncos and now the Dolphins are away sides on their home patch, is to do with membership and reserved seats If they were a home team. Broncos for example would have in excess of 20,000 members, which then means that the gate would thus revolve around the remaining 30,000 free seats. Dolphins coming on board would be similar but not as many.

The Magic Round in my view has to be rotated around to different venues and also who forfeits home games needs to be rotated as well. We have now played Canberra three times and Newcastle once, and NEVER have they forfeited home advantage, yet when we play them second time around that season, they not us are the home team.

The NRL is not a fair comp as it is with not playing everyone twice, once home and once away. Taking home games off teams for a Magic Round just unbalances the competition even more than it currently is.

The Broncos get enough advantages as it is with more evenly spaced games than every other team, and a plethora of games in prime free to air time slots on Thursday and Friday night. Rarely do you see them forced into a 5 day turnaround like less favoured clubs (like us) are forced to do.

Good post.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From my understanding the clubs who gave up their home ground, gets a bigger share of the takings. The team that misses out gets nothing.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From my understanding the clubs who gave up their home ground, gets a bigger share of the takings. The team that misses out gets nothing.
Thats the way I interpret it as well

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Magic round has been crap. No games that enjoyable, blunder after blunder calls, agendas an so on. Can’t wait until this nrl media wank fest is OVER!!

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it, think it's a good idea and i hope I can get up there next year with some mates and go on a bender.

I do agree tho about Broncos in general and in particular getting a huge leg up. It's not entirely a fair comp when one team consistently gets a 7 day turn around and less travel then other teams.

Warriors players must be racking up the frequent flyer points

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question...

Who genuinely thinks it's been a quality round of footy so far?
Me.
I don't think it's been bad.
Plenty of good games.
May not be the best round of games but hardly the worst.

The field was a horror show and I hope next time around they stop all sports for 2 weeks before Magic round to ensure the ground is ready.