Prop Joel Clinton says Broncos were justified in standing him down

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Prop Joel Clinton has revealed Brisbane stood him down for Friday's loss to Melbourne because he had admitted to breaking club policy by inviting a woman back to his hotel room before a game.
Clinton was a notable absentee as the Broncos slumped to a 48-4 hammering at Olympic Park, with the former Test prop left behind in Brisbane for a violation of the club's code of conduct.

Rumours were rife as to the reason behind Clinton's suspension after coach Ivan Henjak refused to elaborate on the specifics of the demotion after the loss to the Storm.

“I'm not going to talk about it. He was stood down for a disciplinary reason, that is all I'm saying,'' Henjak said after the game.

Clinton admitted to his indiscretion but denied he had done anything unlawful in his interaction with the woman - whose identity was not revealed. The incident occurred the night before Brisbane's 20-18 win over Wests Tigers at Campbelltown in round 11.

“I invited a young lady, who I'd been communicating with for a month or so beforehand, to my room at our team hotel and we spent some time together alone,'' Clinton said in a statement.

“This was a meeting we'd arranged earlier in the week and were both keen to meet face to face for the first time.

“By inviting the lady to my room, I clearly breached the club's strict policy, which is well-known to me and all the players.

“At a time when the game is battling off-field controversies, this was a particularly foolish decision.

“`It's a decision which I now regret, especially because of the potential embarrassment it may cause the Broncos and the NRL.

“I also accept that when the situation was brought to the Broncos' attention, they were justified in standing me down.

“The lady and I have since spoken and in respect for her privacy and mine I don't wish to go into personal details regarding that evening, however I would like to let people know that this situation is not the subject of a police investigation.''

It is not yet known how long Clinton will be stood down. Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen could not be contacted for comment.

AAP
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25597398-5018866,00.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Ok so he got suspended for last nights game (and possibly next weeks) for breaking the clubs COC which I think is fair enough.

I hope the media do not beat it up though, I'm sure most here agree that it's very minor.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stupid idiot should of went to her hotel room, arent they supposed to wait until after the game to celebrate?

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Stupid idiot should of went to her hotel room, arent they supposed to wait until after the game to celebrate?
I don't know what the clubs COC is but I assume that inviting people to the teams hotel is against the clubs rules, not much in it. I think the broncos were a bit harsh with the punishment but I applaud Clinton for conducting himself professionally and accepting his punishment after breaking the rules.

Spot

Waterboy
Reaction score
I heard he got dropped because he didn't ask his team mates back to watch and participate. Oh hang on, Broncos not Cronulla, sorry ignore the above.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Going by media reports, he is facing getting sacked.

BRONCOS prop Joel Clinton is facing the sack for breaching the club's strict code of conduct after he invited a woman back to his hotel room.

Clinton last night issued a statement through his manager David Riolo, outlining the precise nature of the disciplinary breach that led to him being stood down for Brisbane's clash against the Storm on Friday night.

The Broncos have refused to disclose the reasons for his shock demotion but yesterday the former Test prop said he felt compelled to set the record straight.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said yesterday the Broncos board would meet on Tuesday to discuss the Clinton affair.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25599426-10389,00.html

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a FKN stupid reason to get the sack over.

I mean theres breaching rules, but getting the sack just for inviting a lady back your room ? Come the FK on ?

Over-reaction much ?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surely the President couldn't get sacked over that.

Surely not.

He broke their rules, fair enough and a suspension might be harsh but can be also seen as fair enough but if they were to release him, not only should the RLPA be up in arms but you would have to think the only reason they would release him is to use this while thing as an excuse because they didn't want him anymore in the first place.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok so he got suspended for last nights game (and possibly next weeks) for breaking the clubs COC which I think is fair enough.

I hope the media do not beat it up though, I'm sure most here agree that it's very minor.
the broncoes are turning into the biggest joke of the nrl....
before christmas steel balls bruno stated ,,, we the broncoes will rip anyones contract if they break our rules of discipline and club behavior...

how many more offences will the broncoes hide under the carpet, or put out a media statement.... we delt with this matter in private,,,

bruno unless you have the balls to follow up what you say,, stfu

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sacked for meeting a chick on Facebook and trying to get a root. What a joke.

Especially after Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd weren't sacked for getting some action in a bathroom cubicle.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have preferred he got a warning.

FFS so if you're an NRL player now you can't interact/shag women?

GFY all of you bastards.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
furk man a guy needs a root leave him alone whats the big fing deal!!

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
“I invited a young lady, who I'd been communicating with for a month or so beforehand, to my room at our team hotel and we spent some time together alone,'' Clinton said in a statement.

“This was a meeting we'd arranged earlier in the week and were both keen to meet face to face for the first time.

“By inviting the lady to my room, I clearly breached the club's strict policy, which is well-known to me and all the players.

“At a time when the game is battling off-field controversies, this was a particularly foolish decision.

the broncoes must sack clinton,,,
seymour and ian lacey,they were both sacked,since then the broncoes have took a nothing happened approach

lockyer, hunt, thiaday, boyd, then wallace, then kenny and another d head, when will the broncoes show they are serious about behavior standards.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Last years incident was a big difference.
Police told the broncos to not take any action and broncos hand were forced, they were told they'd be impeding the course of justice if the sacked them or some **** like that.

However, last year is last year this year is a new year but this punishment is over the top however I think it's a big media beat up, he's got a week suspension fair enough, any more than that would be very disappointing.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL whats wrong with this? Banned from having a private life much.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
how dare he invite a girl to his room

whats next,

sacked for taking a girl to the movies
Don't be silly bro.

It depends on the movie. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past is on the banned list. Anything along the lines of Terminator is acceptable.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL and Brisbane Broncos, go get Fkd. What the hell next? A guy is not breaking any fkn rules by have a root with a willing female. Get off your moral high horse, and recognise rugby league players, as being part of the wider community.

If it was Joe Blow (pardon the pun) di the same, and he got the sack as a result, the employer would have absolutely no grounds to sack him. It is turning into a god damn joke.

Joel Clinton, hold your head in shame. Not because of your 'root', but because you appologised for being human.

Sorry about the rant, but i am getting sick to death about being PC, and trying to deprive people of their rights, because they have a profile.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I think Gallop is just jealous cause he can't pull a root.

Status
Not open for further replies.