News Price Cut: Axe Hovers Over Bulldogs Icon

Malla

Reaction score
I guess with the 3 stepping down from chair and board, anyone they brought on will go with them.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I did'nt know he won a premiership in 2004

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I know of previously non-financial members (ie: lapsed) who’ve become full voting members again simply by paying the membership fee for the lapsed years.

It may depend on the length of time in between however, and any person this applies to would have to speak to the club to resolve.
That sound right

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would you accept an offer to do the same job if the company pays you an extra $120,000 PER YEAR bearing in mind that you have a young family to provide for?

As for Pay, he wanted to stay in the ARL and not join Super League. I can hardly hold that against him.
That’s fine do what you want BUT in return we don’t owe you any loyalty.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No you'd have to have some stipulations around that happening somehow.
Perhaps if they'd been "ordinary" members for 3 years they could automatically become voting members. Or some other system to improve involvement.

You can still have the manipulation people fear no matter the 3 year wait. In fact there could be an even more lopsided scew when the batch of members vote after their 3 year wait.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon if we'd signed a couple of big players by now and had some real hope for '21, the three directors would still be there. Chances of us improving seem low with our roster at this stage, so the timing of the EGM meant the rubbish would keep going and going. I doubt it was a numbers thing. Anyway, in hindsight it's best they resigned for the clubs sake, so good on them.

I don't like Price's role and can't recall it working anywhere. Just let the coach do his job and be responsible for team performance. Someone can manage the football department but the coach should report to the CEO, and a newish coach like Barrett can work more as a partner with the football department head.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I reckon if we'd signed a couple of big players by now and had some real hope for '21, the three directors would still be there. Chances of us improving seem low with our roster at this stage, so the timing of the EGM meant the rubbish would keep going and going. I doubt it was a numbers thing. Anyway, in hindsight it's best they resigned for the clubs sake, so good on them.

I don't like Price's role and can't recall it working anywhere. Just let the coach do his job and be responsible for team performance. Someone can manage the football department but the coach should report to the CEO, and a newish coach like Barrett can work more as a partner with the football department head.
Heaps of clubs have a GM, might just be under a different title. Storm have Frank Ponissi.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve heard a lot of ignorant people say they stopped supporting clubs that went to super league, however Bouris would be way to informed to be one of them.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So, does a potential director also have to be a football club member with 3 years etc? or is that just for people to vote?

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I remember when Price went and signed to the Warriors. Stating it was because of the Coffs Harbour incident and his family values.
Basically he threw he’s teammates under the bus imo. I’m sure it was really all about the money. Great player , never liked him as a board member.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The board pretty much vote for themselves. Their members don't get a say.
The big (actually HUGE) difference with StGeorge is that their Leagues Club is in control of the Football Club/s. The great man saw what happened there and made sure that we didn't make the same mistake, hence the Football Club's controlling majority on the Leagues Club Board.

FWIW, StGeorge have the 3 year waiting period as well.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So, does a potential director also have to be a football club member with 3 years etc? or is that just for people to vote?
From memory the Constitution requires that in order to be nominated for a Board position you have to be a voting member.

Go Dogs

tomisbester

Waterboy
Reaction score
Bulldogs board saga: Club legend Steve Price latest in firing line

Canterbury legend and current general manager of football, Steve Price, is under pressure to survive at Belmore after three under-fire directors resigned from the football club board.

The Bulldogs’ long-threatened extraordinary general meeting has now been abandoned after chair Lynne Anderson and directors Paul Dunn and John Ballesty stood down on Wednesday morning.

Anderson was a staunch supporter of Price and a change in direction at board level has his position under scrutiny.

Price has as many supporters as he does enemies at Belmore with meetings to discuss his future set down for Friday.

Powerbrokers at the club are sceptical about Price continuing in his role at the club where he won premierships in 1995 and 2004.

Resigning would have been a crushing blow for Anderson, wife of legendary Canterbury player and coach Chris Anderson, and daughter of Bulldogs godfather Peter Moore.

A rebel members group who wanted to oust the three secured the required 100 signatures to force the EGM. Aware they might not have the numbers to survive, Anderson, Dunn and Ballesty informed club CEO Andrew Hill of their resignation.

The remaining four football club directors — Joe Thomas, Peter Mortimer, John Khoury and Adrian Turner — will now appoint the three replacements. A Sydney corporate high-flyer is already being discussed.

Given club greats Mortimer and Thomas are on the board, there is a feeling the three new directors should come from the business sector, not be former players.

It is clear Anderson, Ballesty and Dunn accepted discreet advice from club insiders about their chances of surviving.

Club management has been informing sponsors of the developments.

Well-placed football club member, Bill Diakos, warned of a potential EGM a month ago when meeting with Dunn and Ballesty over an investigation into the behaviour of Leagues Club chairman, George Coorey.

The football club initiated the investigation and succeeded in pushing for Coorey’s removal as chairman despite being told of a possible EGM if they did by Diakos. The resignations now place Coorey and his backers into a more powerful position.

The decision of Anderson, Dunn and Ballesty also gives club officials fresh hope that new coach Trent Barrett can arrive in a more settled environment. It is unknown whether Dunn and Ballesty will remain on the Canterbury Leagues Club board. Dunn is chairman.

In a letter to members, Anderson wrote: “Whilst standing down means that I and two of my fellow directors, John Ballesty and Paul Dunn, won’t be around to finish the job we started, we will always put the interests of the club before our own.

“We made no secret of the fact we inherited some challenges, the most pressing being how to ensure we could field a competitive roster with the salary cap debacle that handicapped retention and recruitment plans for several years.

“I acknowledge there have been challenges and mistakes along the way, we are always learning. Things rarely run perfectly in professional sporting organisations, and the behind the scenes wins are not greeted with as much interest as the problems.

“We always said it was going to take some time to turn the corner – that it would not be until 2021 that we would be in control of our destiny. I’m proud to say that has been achieved.”

The letter ended with: “Always proud to be a Bulldog.”
He’s the biggest problem of the lot. This is like Christmas!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I have some oil on this. Shit went down yesterday.

The media have beaten me to the punch here on the scoop itself, but what I CAN tell you, is that Steve is as good as gone, a sure thing as you'll ever see.

Josh Jackson and Jayden okenbor have approached and told the club they dont want Price around the players next year at all. Hes burnt any bridges with them for pretty much all the reasons mentioned the last year here.

Guess he can take his Warriors shirt and go home.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
lol warriors were SL too.
Price should just learn from john bateman and be up front and say the club was great and the cash was too good.

Warriors made a recruitment video for him and gave him a monster deal, **** was never going to day no. I did the maths a long time ago, adjusted for NZ tax breaks at the time, and basically Price was getting a deal of todays equivalent of 950 a season` for 4 years! and he was on 180 at the dogs back in 2004, which was decent money at the time (amazing how the finances of the game changed less than ten years ago) which was roughly the equivalent of 550 a year today. And this is a PROP we are talking about. One who wasnt much better than Tolman.

I cant begrudge him for swapping 550 from the club for 950 at warriors who clearly rolled out the red carpet for him. Most people would too. Just admit it! the truth is good pr enough. This other shit is wankerish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was always a bit weird how Price was appointed from the board in the beginning. He was heavily in the Anderson camp and he’s probably the last one left so he’s gotta go.