Possible jail term for Jim Beam brawler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A JIM Beam Cup player faces the prospect of a lengthy jail term after being charged with assault for his part in an on-field brawl.
In a landmark moment for rugby league, police have charged Mounties hooker Anthony Farah with two counts of assault for allegedly punching Wentworthville half-back Nadim Couri in the face during a match on July 6.
While previous victims of foul play have successfully sued for damages in a civil court, Couri is understood to be the first elite-level player who has opted to press criminal charges.
Couri suffered a broken cheekbone and fractured eye-socket and is also suing Farah for pain and suffering as well as loss of income.
After holding Farah for three hours on Tuesday morning, detectives at Merrylands police station charged the 25-year-old with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent and assault causing grievous bodily harm. The offences carry maximum jail terms of 25 and 10 years.
Farah was released on conditional bail after electing not to answer questions on Tuesday.
He has already served a two-match suspension from the NSWRL's disciplinary committee, and will now face a magistrate at Fairfield Local Court on September 23.
When contacted by The Daily Telegraph, Farah said he was "freaked out".
"I can't say too much but it's freaked me out a bit," he said. "I've always thought what happens on the field, stays on the field.
"The police called me up on Monday and asked me to go to the station. They had me in a holding room for three hours.
"I can't believe it's come to this.
"I'm not that type of player or person - I've never been sent off.
"It was just one of those things that happen in a game of football.
"I'm talking to my legal team about it. I can't say much more."
The incident occurred early in the second half of the round 15 clash at Ringrose Park.
While attempting to charge down Couri's kick, Farah was knocked down by the half-back.
It is then alleged he threw a single punch at Couri, who collapsed to the ground and was later taken to hospital by ambulance.
Referee David Munro did not witness the incident, but sent Farah from the field on the advice of a touch judge. The NSWRL elected not to refer the incident straight to the judiciary because it was not captured on video. League officials took into account Farah's clean record over seven years when formulating a two-week suspension.
Couri, 23, spent eight days in Westmead Hospital and had four titanium plates inserted in his face.
He has been ruled out for the remainder of the season and only recently resumed work fitting doors and blinds. Couri last night said: "I don't know about the pain and suffering, but I reckon (the injuries) cost me at least $10,000 in lost wages and hospital bills. I couldn't eat or see properly for weeks."
A police spokesman said prosecutors had gathered statements from spectators and match officials to assist the case. "Police have interviewed a number of witnesses at the match, as well as match officials," the spokesman said.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
F*** that. If you cop a few punches in a footy game well then let the ref or judiciary deal with it.

Don't go sueing or press criminal charges. What a joke. That bloke who got punched deserves to get bashed even worse next time he plays for taking things that far when they didn't need to be.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
F*** that. If you cop a few punches in a footy game well then let the ref or judiciary deal with it.

Don't go sueing or press criminal charges. What a joke. That bloke who got punched deserves to get bashed even worse next time he plays for taking things that far when they didn't need to be.
I have to disagree with you there dude, just because its a footy field, that doesnt condone being a thug, especially when its a forward picking on a little half back. See the damages the guy has??

I have to laugh every time i hear these players go on like, im not like that off the field, i have never even be sent of, or he's a good bloke.. blah blah blah rubbish!!!

People's true personalities show on the field, and 99% of the time, if they are a grub on field they are a grub off it.

Hope you go to jail you meathead thug. If you want to be like that go join UFC.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you there dude, just because its a footy field, that doesnt condone being a thug, especially when its a forward picking on a little half back. See the damages the guy has??

I have to laugh every time i hear these players go on like, im not like that off the field, i have never even be sent of, or he's a good bloke.. blah blah blah rubbish!!!

People's true personalities show on the field, and 99% of the time, if they are a grub on field they are a grub off it.

Hope you go to jail you meathead thug. If you want to be like that go join UFC.
Haha true. Well it could have been a rush of blood to the head. Adrenaline does do funny things.

But for the most part you are right about that, you don't see someone like Alan Tongue kinghit Misi from Cronulla because that isn't in his character.

Nevertheless, I still think it is an over the top reaction. Sure it was foul play and shouldn't be encouraged or condoned (even if almost everyone does love seeing a fight) but pressing criminal charges over a footy fight is taking things way too far IMO.

Players can not work in many ways from footy injuries and would lose wages if they broke their arm/leg, busted a knee etc. That is the risk you take when you play footy and have a job. Again, you shouldn't expect to get punched and for it to put you out of work, but that is an aspect fo Rugby League, love it or hate it, and the punishment for which shouldn't go outside the confines of the jurisdiction of Rugby League IMO. (Unless it is something completely extreme and out of the ordinary.)

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha true. Well it could have been a rush of blood to the head. Adrenaline does do funny things.

But for the most part you are right about that, you don't see someone like Alan Tongue kinghit Misi from Cronulla because that isn't in his character.

Nevertheless, I still think it is an over the top reaction. Sure it was foul play and shouldn't be encouraged or condoned (even if almost everyone does love seeing a fight) but pressing criminal charges over a footy fight is taking things way too far IMO.

Players can not work in many ways from footy injuries and would lose wages if they broke their arm/leg, busted a knee etc. That is the risk you take when you play footy and have a job. Again, you shouldn't expect to get punched and for it to put you out of work, but that is an aspect fo Rugby League, love it or hate it, and the punishment for which shouldn't go outside the confines of the jurisdiction of Rugby League IMO. (Unless it is something completely extreme and out of the ordinary.)
Yeah i know what your saying but when have you ever seen injuries to that extent from a fight in the NRL? And even if there were, the clubs cover the players so they are fine.

These guys who play jim beam still need to work to make a living. Im sure they all accept injuries such as broken legs etc as part of the risk of playing, but they dont expect to be king hit and have their face broken apart. There is a difference betwen having a little stoush and being put in hospital.

We need to rub out this mentaility of "you can do what you want on the field without repeccusions" All it does is encourage the meatheads to get out there and start belting people.

Its a sport, a tough sport yes, but sport netherless. You barely see the injuries this guy recieved in boxing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah i know what your saying but when have you ever seen injuries to that extent from a fight in the NRL? And even if there were, the clubs cover the players so they are fine.

These guys who play jim beam still need to work to make a living. Im sure they all accept injuries such as broken legs etc as part of the risk of playing, but they dont expect to be king hit and have their face broken apart. There is a difference betwen having a little stoush and being put in hospital.

We need to rub out this mentaility of "you can do what you want on the field without repeccusions" All it does is encourage the meatheads to get out there and start belting people.

Its a sport, a tough sport yes, but sport netherless. You barely see the injuries this guy recieved in boxing.
You raise a good point Nexus and the bloke shouldn't have to go out of pocket.

But I don't think these fines/penalties are going to prevent moments of madness or rushes of blood to the head.

They will always occur and even the lifetime bans and harsher penalies handed out in the bush etc do not prevent these things from happening on other occasions. That is because certain people cannot control themsleves and if they get their heads filled up with steam they will keep on doing this kind of thing.

Unfortunately nothing can be done to prevent this kind of thing because like I said, it is a moment of madness from a person out on the field who is capable of this kind of thing.

L

lil dog

he must be a povo or a dodge kent who doesnt want to work ever again
wat a soft fuk hes head was in the paper he might get bash now

but good on him

MPS

I'm Old Gregg
Reaction score
Farah only got a two match suspention for it - funny if he sees jail time.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wasnt anthony farah an ex doggies player or is that charlie farah??

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Couri suffered a broken cheekbone and fractured eye-socket and is also suing Farah for pain and suffering as well as loss of income.

Fair enough

Status
Not open for further replies.