Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
1990 Penrith?
yeah thats his 1, im talking about the decision to go with chris anderson over gould so i started counting from when that decision was made

chris anderson is getting a whole lot of disrespect here and i just want to remind everyone that he did it for us and did it in a textbook rebuild over a number of years, each year we got stronger then in 1993 we got the minor premiership and went down fighting against the 1993 brisbane broncos, minor premiers in 1994, epic contest against the 1994 green machine to get to the grand final and unfortunately a flat performance in the big one, then in 1995 we put it altogether and we took care of the big boys that i mentioned and then won the grand final against another dominant team of that era

i don't know exactly what role gould had in ripping that team apart but he was heavily involved in recruitment for the ARL so this comparison also comes with the sidenote that gould came in and mucked up the anderson work, so even though he won 2-1 he was unlucky

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look at Penrith now. People gave him shit about the five year plan. May have taken longer, but they will be contenders for the next 10 seasons. If he can do that for us he will be our messiah. He’ll set us up for long term and sustained success. He’ll sweep a broom for the joint, he’ll attract players. And most of all he can help Baz develop into a genuine head coach. This news makes me moist.
He's gonna need one hell of a super mega sized broom!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
where does Flanagan fit? Gould was initially very critical of the Roosters for dumping Flanagan after one season... now it is not commentary only, Flanagan is signed to Gould's club for two more seasons
His view might be more about providing opportunities rather than guarantees, I'd say he was critical that they cut him from the club rather than giving him a chance to fight and prove he could be good enough.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
His view might be more about providing opportunities rather than guarantees, I'd say he was critical that they cut him from the club rather than giving him a chance to fight and prove he could good enough.
We probably need to cut him too tbh.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ridiculous propaganda from Gus.

This stinks.

So we sign a bad coach who happens to be Gus’ fave.

Now we sign Gus on a mint to come over the top of him.

I hope everyone has patience, because this will take 10 years, with every excuse under the sun and no guarantee of a premiership.

For God’s sake, just buy a decent f$&@ing coach!
We will win in 2024. I have read it in the tea leaves!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah thats his 1, im talking about the decision to go with chris anderson over gould so i started counting from when that decision was made

chris anderson is getting a whole lot of disrespect here and i just want to remind everyone that he did it for us and did it in a textbook rebuild over a number of years, each year we got stronger then in 1993 we got the minor premiership and went down fighting against the 1993 brisbane broncos, minor premiers in 1994, epic contest against the 1994 green machine to get to the grand final and unfortunately a flat performance in the big one, then in 1995 we put it altogether and we took care of the big boys that i mentioned and then won the grand final against another dominant team of that era

i don't know exactly what role gould had in ripping that team apart but he was heavily involved in recruitment for the ARL so this comparison also comes with the sidenote that gould came in and mucked up the anderson work, so even though he won 2-1 he was unlucky
Oh okay thought you were counting from the start.

Yeah I rate Chris Anderson's record with us, those years you mentioned were very successful. The whole Melbourne thing with Hill and Kimmorley sucked though. Personally, I was more critical of Lynne rather than Chris as from what I remember reading on here in the recent Board stint, he seemed to have little involvement anyway and stepped away early on.

Not sure who from the ARL tore our team apart but wouldn't surprise me if it was a team effort between, Fulton, Gould and Smith.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Oh okay thought you were counting from the start.

Yeah I rate Chris Anderson's record with us, those years you mentioned were very successful. The whole Melbourne thing with Hill and Kimmorley sucked though. Personally, I was more critical of Lynne rather than Chris as from what I remember reading on here in the recent Board stint, he seemed to have little involvement anyway and stepped away early on.

Not sure who from the ARL tore our team apart but wouldn't surprise me if it was a team effort between, Fulton, Gould and Smith.
not to mention the next period that we were successful again the entity that he was involved with came in and ripped us apart when the roosters signed our top guys, but that time is probably a lesser role when he was only an advisor at the roosters

the feud he had with ricky stuart in the media and he talked about when stuart failed to get thurston to break his contract with us, it feels like he had it in for us if we put all that together

Gould wrote yesterday: "When Stuart left the Bulldogs to coach the Roosters he was asked if he could coax a young Johnathan Thurston to switch with him. Stuart abruptly rejected the proposal."

The criticism, and Stuart's response, reveal much about both men.

"When it was mentioned to me at the time about bringing Johnathan across I said I would not do that to Canterbury, a club that had been good to me as a player and also in my first year as a coach," Stuart said.

"I said I'm not going to ask Johnathan to break a two-year deal."

but whatever he is here now so ill just have to focus on things i like about him, like he was extremely anti news limited, he seemed to enjoy michael ennis antics and he was always educating people on the bulldogs culture in his commentary

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too anyone that said Gus wasn’t coming stick that up ya told yo so

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reminds me of the difference when Kevin Ryan was signed as Captain Coach. He knew what had to be done and From that moment the Dogs started the climb up from the bottom.
He was the first piece of the puzzle followed by Peter Moore 2 years later

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
anderson leads 2-1 in premierships over gould since the club made the decision to replace gould with anderson, so the first thing i expect gould to say is that the club was correct to get rid of him as coach
It would be interesting to go down a different time line where Gould remained as coach. Would Penrith still be looking for no. 1?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was the youngest coach ever to win a premiership coaching us 1988.
Got swindled out of his job 1989.
Welcome back Gas...Let's go Bulldogs !!!
Captained Penrith at 20 - the youngest captain of a side since Dave Brown 1930s

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see what happens with the roster Gus doesn’t mind making big moves. You just have to see what he did with Luke Lewis back at Penrith. I think the roster could look very different by kick off in 21.
If I had my way I would go back in a time machine and change the roster for 2021 too. (I know you meant 22)