Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very good it’s what our club needs at the moment the blokes a clown and rambles but he could definitely help us out. He was never gonna return while there was a anderson involved .some of these under performing player will now be worried Gould ain’t scared to move them on swiftly either.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose i should also quote our 8 Premierships we have won

Last fact we are the only team left in the NRL to have played a 0-0 against Newtown Bluebag Jets in Rnd 5 1982. Funny the same year we also drew 12 all with Newtown the 2nd time we played them the same year.
Thanks for the stats & memories!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes I told you all when Barrett signed that
History 2024 our next grand final victory!

1974 lost to Easts 19-4 in Grand Final
1984 Beat Parra 6-4 in Grand Final
1994 lost to Canb 36-12 in GF (Meniga farewell)
2004 beat East 16-13 in GF
2014 lost to Souths 30-6 in GF
2024 ?

So every decade ending with a 4 we make GF!
Every 20 years we win it!!!

A bit of History for Nasheed 2 learn b4 he spruiks that he has supported the Dogs for 20 years.

There are many hear who have supported them for longer than I.

I live on the north shore & have supported by beloved Bulldogs since I was 6 in 1979!!!

Dogs till I Die!!!

Beware of the Wounded Bulldogs!!!

We will howl & Bark again soon!!!
Good to see a fellow old timer who has some info.
We are in a league above brother

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football
bulldogs.com.auFri 16 Jul 2021, 09:58 PM
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued to put important pieces in place to build for the future with the appointment of one of the smartest minds in the game in Phil Gould, as their new General Manager of Football.

Gould has an incredible history in the game at all levels - as a player, coach, manager and commentator. Moreover, he has a deep understanding and respect for the Bulldogs Club and it’s history.

Having played in 40 First Grade games for the Bulldogs between 1983 and 1985, Gould then coached the Bulldogs to the 1988 Premiership to give the club its sixth out of eight titles.

From there Gould went on to further Premiership success with the Panthers in 1991, before a stunning coaching career with the New South Wales State of Origin side, where he coached the State to four series wins in five seasons between 1992 and 1996, before returning in 2002 to coach the team for three more series, winning two and drawing a third, to make him the most successful New South Wales Coach in history.

Bulldogs Chair John Khoury was delighted that he had been able to bring Gould back to Belmore:

"Phil Gould’s return to our club as GM of Football is phenomenal news for our club, it’s Members, fans and stakeholders.

He was already part of an amazing run of success that the club had during the eighties and his influence during his time here is something that our fans will always be grateful for.

Phil has a great relationship with Head Coach Trent Barrett and we firmly believe that he can help to drive us forward to getting back to where we need to be: namely as a Premiership contender once again.

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury

Bulldogs Chairman Update: John Khoury
A great deal of work went into ensuring we recruited the right person for the Football Manager role and I am delighted that the club will get to benefit from Phil's knowledge and track record of success, as we look to the future."

Phil Gould was also pleased at the chance to work with the Bulldogs:

"My sincere appreciation and thanks to the Canterbury Bulldogs Chairman John Khoury and his Board, for their confidence in appointing me to this very important position.

It’s a wonderful opportunity, with a great club.

I played with the Bulldogs. This club gifted me my first ever coaching appointment back in 1986. To be returning to the Bulldogs many years later, in this role, is truly exciting.

I look forward to rekindling old friendships, making new friendships, and enjoying the club’s journey back to the top of the National Rugby League”.
The days of languishing near the bottom are over.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll make a massive difference. This is really good news. Very excited,he's coming home!

He remembers who we were - the most hated team in the comp because we were feared and awesome.

I also think Barrett will thrive under him too

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The past few days, he has retweeted some Bulldogs stuff, so was that a hint.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im really happy about this but hope they at least discussed Goulds exit strategy. Things seem to be overdramatised when he doesn't get his way so I get we need him but yeh is his tenure fixed or indefinite?

Malla

Reaction score
Gus saying the right things in rhe channel 9 interview. Nothing but praise for Warriors which is great to hear. Yes Covid impacted his role there, warriors saw it as wasted $$$ given he was acting in a 20% capacity at best. Here’s what I was told… When we approached him earlier this season, he wanted more money. It was never meant to be leaked to the media, it was probably someone at the warriors that caught wind of it and did that, but that’s why the Gus tweet came out about him being flattered by our approach but he was staying in NZ. From the get go Gus wanted more money. I think at that point we knew we had him. It was only a matter of time. I was told there would be a huge announcement this week, I assumed it was TPJ hence why I said in the TPJ thread there would be an announcement this week. Didn’t even think for a second it would be Gus this soon, I thought that wouldn’t happen until the end of the season.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have an early night, and this happens.

Good luck Gus, if you can turn the Pennies around from the basket case they were, getting us a premiership should be a snap.

Hopefully this also means a bit more respectful commentary from the rest of them (although I won’t hear it since I don’t watch Ch9)

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus saying the right things in rhe channel 9 interview. Nothing but praise for Warriors which is great to hear. Yes Covid impacted his role there, warriors saw it as wasted $$$ given he was acting in a 20% capacity at best. Here’s what I was told… When we approached him earlier this season, he wanted more money. It was never meant to be leaked to the media, it was probably someone at the warriors that caught wind of it and did that, but that’s why the Gus tweet came out about him being flattered by our approach but he was staying in NZ. From the get go Gus wanted more money. I think at that point we knew we had him. It was only a matter of time. I was told there would be a huge announcement this week, I assumed it was TPJ hence why I said in the TPJ thread there would be an announcement this week. Didn’t even think for a second it would be Gus this soon, I thought that wouldn’t happen until the end of the season.
What a shock not. It's always about money with Gus

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, things are going to get interesting now. Like most i'm just sick of the losing, not just losing but never being a chance after the first month every season of late. Gus wont die wondering and everybody is on notice from now, lets get this club moving again.