Phil Gould says roster clean out coming to clean salary cap

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Class and leadership don't belong in the same sentence as Sleaze Pearce. Someone who tries to fuck a dog isn't my definition of classy.

Plus Jessie Bromwich got kicked out of Kiwi camp for snorting coke..
Ease up mate... They are still immensely accomplished experienced footballers who could provide priceless knowledge on and off the field.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ease up mate... They are still immensely experience footballers who could provide priceless knowledge on and off the field.
I don't want someone like Pearce imparting his knowledge off the field to the rest of the squad. The guy is still a loose cannon and can't handle his drink. We need to stop signing players like that otherwise nothing will ever change.

I'm not having a go at you. I just can't stand Pearce, think he's massively overrated and would hate to see more Elliott like headlines from him.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If this is how Gus handled Michael Jennings turning up to training with alcohol in his system, you’d have to think Elliot is in a little strife:

“It seems like a lifetime ago that Phil Gould also dropped Jennings to NSW Cup in 2011 for turning up to training with alcohol in his system.

As part of his punishment, Gould also made Jennings do the walk of shame around Penrith Stadium before a game handing out 2000 free tickets valued at roughly $40,000 - a year later Jennings was gone!.”

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
- Carnage os set to unfold with their roster
- there trying to hide the luke thompson rumour bye dening it
- some of the names mentioned that are leaving are cotric allen josh jackson elliot thompson and more
- roster cleanout
I would listen again if I was you. He did not say Jackson was going. He said Thommo staying but that could change. He did not say Cotric etc are leaving.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reports actually said we have NO players on minimum wage. By my calculations that is about 25 players short of who should be
I find that hard to believe. Why would we pay someone like Dietz for example more than minimum wage when he was on a train and trial deal. Topine is another example.

Not a dig at you mate, I just don't buy what they are saying.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That rule needs to be changed, it ridiculous that the NRL forces clubs to spend 95% of their cap. They've basically forced the lesser teams into paying overs for shitter players and helped anchor them to the bottom of the ladder and then you have that fuckwit saying clubs should manage their rosters better LOL.
You can just sign players to 1 year contracts instead of giving them 3 year contracts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You can just sign players to 1 year contracts instead of giving them 3 year contracts.
No one signs 1 years contracts, only players that no one wants (Dufty). They will just head overseas or sign with a better club on a reduced wage.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No one signs 1 years contracts, only players that no one wants (Dufty). They will just head overseas or sign with a better club on a reduced wage.
If we have 500k left that we MUST spend then a player like Corey Allan would accept it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we have 500k left that we MUST spend then a player like Corey Allan would accept it.
It's much better to front load (can even help with future contract extensions topping players up) other players in the roster then lock yourself in with Allan for 3 years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
True, but that just opens up other issues. They should just scrap the rule, the only reason it was brought in was because the Roosters abused it in the past.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't want someone like Pearce imparting his knowledge off the field to the rest of the squad. The guy is still a loose cannon and can't handle his drink. We need to stop signing players like that otherwise nothing will ever change.

I'm not having a go at you. I just can't stand Pearce, think he's massively overrated and would hate to see more Elliott like headlines from him.
Im with you on Pearce, I dont like the idea but i think we have come to the point of realization that there is nobody else in regards to an experienced NRL standard half.

Our only other two options are Gus pulling an astute halves signing out of his arse or we run with the young halves at the club...

Its a shit position to be in...

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im with you on Pearce, I dont like the idea but i think we have come to the point of realization that there is nobody else in regards to an experienced NRL standard half.

Our only other two options are Gus pulling an astute halves signing out of his arse or we run with the young halves at the club...

Its a shit position to be in...
Also need to take into consideration the welfare of our mascots

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
We are not in a position where we have to offload players like back in 2018.

The problem is that the cap is tied up in the wrong positions. Jacko, Thompson, Elliott , etc .

Also fringe players on too much money. Reports actually said we have NO players on minimum wage. By my calculations that is about 25 players short of who should be
ah ok

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe. Why would we pay someone like Dietz for example more than minimum wage when he was on a train and trial deal. Topine is another example.

Not a dig at you mate, I just don't buy what they are saying.
All good mate. Just what was reported.

Maybe it was the original top 25 or 26 that we named at the start of the year. Guys like Deitz got promoted after that.

I would think Gus would apply for NDIS support for some of the players still on contract next year. Hopefully that will come off the cap