Phil Gould knocked back by Ben Hunt as Bulldogs search for a seven

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something will give at the Dragons. Sullivan set up 5 tries in nsw cup last week. He will just kick stones until either Hunt goes or he gets his own release.

Also I hate the talk of Burton at lock or in the centres. He came to the wooden spooners because he wanted to play in the halves. If he wanted to play centres he would have stayed at the panthers and won another comp ffs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Would I rather have Ben Hunt than Josh Reynolds? Fuck yes.. Do I think Hunt is worth the money at his age and considering how he's never been a great halfback and always been better at hooker? Fuck no..

There is a massive halves shortage in the comp in general and even less available on the market. This is why I laugh when people suggest to move Burton from the halves... Who the fuck do you sign that's available? It's hard enough to find one half, let alone two..

Which is why they paid to get Oloapu and took a chance on him. Hopefully he gets some games soon and shows enough potential that we'll know we have our long term halves combo with him and Burton..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By the way, everyone wanted Townsend after his year last year, now he's gone back to being shit and looks like horrible value for money at 750k. Plus he has another year left after this one.. Buyer beware when overpaying out of desperation for older, established halves on 3-4 year deals.

Again, this is why Gus and co went after Oloapu instead. The halves market is so weak and you have to overpay so badly, you're better off taking a chance on younger prospects like KO.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hunt is a far better 9 than 7

I wouldn’t break the bank for him

As funny as this sounds given our current ladder position…he’s got a better chance of winning a comp with us than dragons with time ticking on his career

That should be Gus pitch

Arthur yuck

It’s a disgrace that we haven’t had a proper 7 since Hokko

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
By the way, everyone wanted Townsend after his year last year, now he's gone back to being shit and looks like horrible value for money at 750k. Plus he has another year left after this one.. Buyer beware when overpaying out of desperation for older, established halves on 3-4 year deals.

Again, this is why Gus and co went after Oloapu instead. The halves market is so weak and you have to overpay so badly, you're better off taking a chance on younger prospects like KO.
"Normally" buying an inexperienced 18 yo for halves should not be a "massive" problem when you have a SOO/Kangaroo player beside him.

Gus probably figured Burto would have grown this year into 5/8 role, far more than he has at present.

Just more of the stars and moon NOT aligning for the club this year.

The learning curve continues alongside patience :grinning:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Townsend has always been very average. He looked good off the breakout years from Robson and Drinkwater. Just go back and watch the finals game that ended the Cowboys season. Townsend had an absolute shocker

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Townsend has always been very average. He looked good off the breakout years from Robson and Drinkwater. Just go back and watch the finals game that ended the Cowboys season. Townsend had an absolute shocker
Was only a short few months ago people on here wanted Cogger back. Lol

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The smart thing to do is Griffin is likely to get sacked Hunt will likely want to leave. Dogs must go after him and have Oloapu learn off him.

Burton and hunt in the halves Oloapu off the bench. Mahoney to play 60 minutes Oloapu to come off the bench and hunt slot into hooker role. Seems the most logical way to mould Oloapu into a decent half-back.
I don't mean to talk him up, I think Oloapu has great knowledge of the game as is, skills and physique. Like most fresh halves, will have to be able to handle regular grind and 'pick n choose' moments in the game rather than trying too hard. Sky's the limit.

New Era Bulldogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
If Doggies grab Arthur, they may have to take his little brother who was the hooker in the SG Ball GF winning side as a package deal.

Then who knows, 5 years down the track Doggies may sign up big daddy to coach them. Hahahaha.

The true family club. Hahahaha

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I gotta say, George Williams was absolute perfection tonight against France.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
And that’s exactly why we need Gus to develop our juniors so we can get back to producing our own talent , but that’s not going to happen overnight. The reason most clubs are in the same predicament is from a lack of development in our junior pathways.
Agree and the lack of junior footy during Covid made this problem worse. Many kids are two years behind where they should be or missed their window entirely, which speaks to the slim pickings across the code.

Last edited: