News Phil Gould blasts Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo at Gold Coast conference

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Again not true.

The Innovation Committee oversees rule changes and that’s Chaired by Wayne Pearce. Other members include Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart, Luke Keary and Damien Cook. They all get a vote.

Rule changes don’t happen overnight. Obviously some they got wrong like the original implementation of set restarts until it was tweaked, but it’s not as simple as PVL just making things up and forcing them through.

Anyway, it’s like PM’s - there’s no pleasing everyone. Remember all the ‘Greenturd’ posts on here and whoever succeeds PVL will have their detractors too. Not liking someone doesn’t prove ‘corruption’.
Of course whoever gets the job will have detractors. But again, as bad as Greenberg and those before him were, the competition was never this uneven, nor were there this many drastic rule changes that changed the way the game was played...

Again, it can't be a coincidence this all happened after V'landys took over.. The game is a mess right now and V'landys, Abdo, Annesley and Clint Newton all deserve blame and rightly have their positions scrutinised and questioned.

I've never said anything about corruption, just incompetence.. Gus isn't calling them out for nothing. If the code was run better, none of us would be having this conversation about the salary cap still not being set.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
And he’s for Abdo there who is only sucking Vlandys off and being his yes man.
They slandered Greenberg but I bet Vlandys wanted him gone because he wouldn’t be his Bitch. Made up all this rubbish about hai excessive spending that was costing the NRL, got his mate Kent to peddle it on TV and everyone believed it. Looks like the NRL is worse off.
Was reading Politis comments on the draw earlier and I couldn’t agree more with his remarks - he called it a TV schedule, not a draw, and he is absolutely correct. Media has the NRL by the balls.
Politis the fucking sook didn't seem to mind the draw being a tv schedule when his club were cheating their way to a couple of premierships recently though.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course whoever gets the job will have detractors. But again, as bad as Greenberg and those before him were, the competition was never this uneven, nor were there this many drastic rule changes that changed the way the game was played...

Again, it can't be a coincidence this all happened after V'landys took over.. The game is a mess right now and V'landys, Abdo, Annesley and Clint Newton all deserve blame and rightly have their positions scrutinised and questioned.

I've never said anything about corruption, just incompetence.. Gus isn't calling them out for nothing. If the code was run better, none of us would be having this conversation about the salary cap still not being set.
We’ll just have to agree to disagree.
I’m not saying PVL is perfect - not at all.
But there would be reasons why things are done (and, not done) that we’re just not privvy to. That doesn’t necessarily mean incompetence. Gould has his opinions, he’s always been outspoken. He also has no shortage of detractors. But I haven’t heard any other club execs complain about the current situation - probably because they know more about the reality of the situation than any of us do.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, from the conspirators who constantly bleat about ‘corruption!’ but can never prove it…
There is enough highly questionable stuff in and around the game to strongly suggest not everything is above board IMO. It's definitely not a level playing field with how clubs are treated vastly different from each other by NRLHQ.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There is enough highly questionable stuff in and around the game to strongly suggest not everything is above board IMO. It's definitely not a level playing field with how clubs are treated vastly different from each other by NRLHQ.
All speculation.
TK Lawyers would largely be laughed out of court :-).

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
All speculation.
TK Lawyers would largely be laughed out of court :-).
Speculation. Of course.
There was also speculation OJ killed his missus and the other bloke.
I'd be happy to put money on some not so legit goings-on happening within the walls of the NRL. If not then it is incompetence and coincidence beyond the realms of belief.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Speculation. Of course.
There was also speculation OJ killed his missus and the other bloke.
I'd be happy to put money on some not so legit goings-on happening within the walls of the NRL. If not then it is incompetence and coincidence beyond the realms of belief.
Cool. You might as well set fire to your money though.

The Kennel’s lawyers make Dennis Denuto look like one of the great legal minds of all time :-).

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that's Vlandy's full time job remember.

Running the NRL is just a casual / on the side job whenever he feels like getting involved and bringing in some other new stupid shit .
Yep shows what a joke the NrL is they can’t even get someone to focus on their competition full time.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every new Chairman brings in their own team.
Nothing to do with anyone being a yes man or not. Greenberg’s cards were marked as soon as Beattie left, as were Gallop’s when Grant came in. I’ve seen it a thousand times in business, it’s not unusual.

And of course broadcast has influence in the draw - they stump up the hundreds of millions that keep the clubs and the game alive. If it was my money I’d want the same thing - no such thing as a free lunch.
Of course, but there was no need to slander and paint him as incompetent to the public.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He’s still right.
Yes he is, and Motorhead's point still stands.
Spare me the sooking Nick. You got a premiership in '02 with a more expensive squad (but no one was going to check under the Stetson - especially an old boy).
And then there is another couple of decades of looking the other way while superstars flock to Bondi "for less" - faarrrkkk offfff! (netting another 3 premierships).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course, but there was no need to slander and paint him as incompetent to the public.
Where did he do that?
The only thing I recall is that PVL said the largesse was to end. PVL is an accountant - one of the first things he was going to do was cut costs - especially during Covid when there were no crowds and revenue plummeted. If you have quotes please post them because it would be pretty unprofessional to do that and I don’t recall it happening.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did he do that?
The only thing I recall is that PVL said the largesse was to end. PVL is an accountant - one of the first things he was going to do was cut costs - especially during Covid when there were no crowds and revenue plummeted. If you have quotes please post them because it would be pretty unprofessional to do that and I don’t recall it happening.
Geez, is that you Peter? Too much internet for me today. Cya

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Agree. Essentially 2023 season has started. Some of the basics to run the league in 2023+ are not even in place by 1st Nov 22. There is still no agreement in place between the League , the players and clubs. Sal Cap remains unknown. Ridiculous talk of a rebel breakaway league has started.
If you work as head of a corporate organisation it is mandatory you have the business basics in place before the new business year starts. Looks like a real mess to me. V’Landys/Abdo are responsible. At least the Draw is done I guess.
Excuses blaming others for not having some of the fundamental HR, financial and operational parameters in place, is just unacceptable. Competence is a word that springs to mind.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. Essentially 2023 season has started. Some of the basics to run the league in 2023+ are not even in place by 1st Nov 22. There is still no agreement in place between the League , the players and clubs. Sal Cap remains unknown. Ridiculous talk of a rebel breakaway league has started.
If you work as head of a corporate organisation it is mandatory you have the business basics in place before the new business year starts. Looks like a real mess to me. V’Landys/Abdo are responsible. At least the Draw is done I guess.
Excuses blaming others for not having some of the fundamental HR, financial and operational parameters in place, is just unacceptable. Competence is a word that springs to mind.
Who says the RLPA aren’t dragging their knuckles?

PVL and Abdo aren’t dopes.
PVL is responsible for the the (now) richest horse race in Australia. Abdo is a CA with an MBA.

Bottom line is no-one except those at the table know the truth and anything else is speculation.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who says the RLPA aren’t dragging their knuckles?

PVL and Abdo aren’t dopes.
PVL is responsible for the the (now) richest horse race in Australia. Abdo is a CA with an MBA.

Bottom line is no-one except those at the table know the truth and anything else is speculation.
That’s true none of us really know. Qualifications and achievements in racing mean little. Ability to facilitate desired outcomes with all stakeholders in a timely fashion is the reason he is there.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That’s true none of us really know. Qualifications and achievements in racing mean little. Ability to facilitate desired outcomes with all stakeholders in a timely fashion is the reason he is there.
PVL is also an accountant.

So you’re saying he’s incapable of facilitating desired outcomes even though during 2020 he and his team worked out deals with 4 governments, 16 clubs, 2 broadcasters and the RLPA to get the competition started again after the Covid suspension. Or in 2021 when they took it to Kingsland to keep it going during the NSW lockdown. How short some memories are.

He’s already said today that Gould is wrong and the facts will prove this when it all comes out, so I guess we wait and see who’s right. Two sides to every story.