News Phil Gould blasts Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo at Gold Coast conference

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What happens on the Gold Coast doesn’t always stay on the Gold Coast — like Phil Gould’s spray of Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo at a function at the Sheraton Grand Mirage on Tuesday.
The Bulldogs general manager of football was one of several guest speakers at the Leagues Club Australia National Conference and, according to four unaligned sources in the room, ripped into the ARL Commission chairman and NRL chief executive while dropping a few jovial f-bombs along the way.

At the heart of the attack was the ongoing dispute between head office with the clubs over funding the players’ new collective bargaining agreement which has essentially turned into an ugly war of words in the media. Seen that movie before.

Gould was aggrieved about the fact the rugby league financial year had ticked over on November 1 without the salary cap in place. As the man charged with making the Bulldogs’ cap fit since coming on board last year, you can understand his frustration.

Rugby League Players Association boss Clint Newton also received a few jabs for taking too long to get the CBA finalised.

There were more than 450 people representing leagues clubs from around the country in the room, as well as representatives of the state leagues, so Gould’s remarks were going to leak into the public at some point.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley also spoke at the conference, although he wasn’t in the room when Gould spoke. The pair passed in the foyer upstairs as Gould was ducking into a meeting room.

Gould and V’landys have had an indifferent relationship since V’landys became chairman just over four years ago.

They had a serious fallout over the high-tackle crackdown V’landys instigated last year. Gould thought it was too heavy-handed and the pair clashed in an interview for Channel Nine.

But, as I understood it, they’d patched things up. As did V’landys, who was taken aback when approached for comment on Thursday afternoon, telling me they had met in the offices at Racing NSW just a few days ago.

“Gus and I are a hundred per cent,” V’landys said. “He’s entitled to his opinion. But when the facts come out, his opinion will be wrong. When the facts come out everyone will have a different perspective.”

Nine host James Bracey interviewed Gould on stage and we’re told it felt like a jazzed-up version of 100% Footy.

Bracey also asked Gould the age-old question about taking on the role of NRL chief executive. Gould responded with his favourite line: “I could do it in my lunch hour.”

Source: SMH

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a joke that the salary cap hasn't been set yet. Gus and every other club have every right to be pissed off about it. I'm glad Gus called them out on it. I'd rather he ran the NRL than the muppets that are ruining the league now..

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like the RLPA haven't been that proactive either.
Agree it's shambolic and certainly not satisfactory, Gus isn't backwards in speaking his mind and fair enough too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"When the facts come out"?
Vlad we don't care about that.

"Facts" AND details should have been finalised well before Nov 1....it's a billion dollar business, not a part-time job juggled between his other jobs.

Gus is right on this.

No doubt Players Association are playing hard ball but as someone stated...these essential measures like sc amounts, player remuneration details etc should be known at least 6 months before they are set to run out, or ideally have a 5 year time frame plan going forward so Clubs can manage their rosters and expenditure.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Met in the office at Racing NSW?
Doesn't NRL have an office in Philip St?

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What happens on the Gold Coast doesn’t always stay on the Gold Coast — like Phil Gould’s spray of Peter V’landys and Andrew Abdo at a function at the Sheraton Grand Mirage on Tuesday.
The Bulldogs general manager of football was one of several guest speakers at the Leagues Club Australia National Conference and, according to four unaligned sources in the room, ripped into the ARL Commission chairman and NRL chief executive while dropping a few jovial f-bombs along the way.

At the heart of the attack was the ongoing dispute between head office with the clubs over funding the players’ new collective bargaining agreement which has essentially turned into an ugly war of words in the media. Seen that movie before.

Gould was aggrieved about the fact the rugby league financial year had ticked over on November 1 without the salary cap in place. As the man charged with making the Bulldogs’ cap fit since coming on board last year, you can understand his frustration.

Rugby League Players Association boss Clint Newton also received a few jabs for taking too long to get the CBA finalised.

There were more than 450 people representing leagues clubs from around the country in the room, as well as representatives of the state leagues, so Gould’s remarks were going to leak into the public at some point.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley also spoke at the conference, although he wasn’t in the room when Gould spoke. The pair passed in the foyer upstairs as Gould was ducking into a meeting room.

Gould and V’landys have had an indifferent relationship since V’landys became chairman just over four years ago.

They had a serious fallout over the high-tackle crackdown V’landys instigated last year. Gould thought it was too heavy-handed and the pair clashed in an interview for Channel Nine.

But, as I understood it, they’d patched things up. As did V’landys, who was taken aback when approached for comment on Thursday afternoon, telling me they had met in the offices at Racing NSW just a few days ago.

“Gus and I are a hundred per cent,” V’landys said. “He’s entitled to his opinion. But when the facts come out, his opinion will be wrong. When the facts come out everyone will have a different perspective.”

Nine host James Bracey interviewed Gould on stage and we’re told it felt like a jazzed-up version of 100% Footy.

Bracey also asked Gould the age-old question about taking on the role of NRL chief executive. Gould responded with his favourite line: “I could do it in my lunch hour.”

Source: SMH

NRL are a disgrace. Nov 1st has passed, when players coming off contract in ‘23 can field offers from rival clubs and…….the 2018-22 collective bargaining agreement has expired…..and a new one is not yet resolved….and no 2023 salary cap confirmed.
Wtf. The NRL is a Business ….yes?
NRL - Messrs V’Landys and Abdo, none of this is a sudden surprise or a mystery. Looks like incompetence or slackness to me. Will be most interested to read the so called FACTS according to V’Landys when they come out.

Thank goodness we have Gus on our side and he is prepared to call them out, politely or otherwise. Stick it up ‘em Gus. ……….release of steam & exhale :rage:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a joke that the salary cap hasn't been set yet. Gus and every other club have every right to be pissed off about it. I'm glad Gus called them out on it. I'd rather he ran the NRL than the muppets that are ruining the league now..
Absolutely, as i;'ve said elsewhere, it should be set years ahead. I know revenue can be lumpy, but that's what cash reserves are there for.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Onya Gus! Nrlol still fart arsing around. Useless cunttss

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"When the facts come out"?
Vlad we don't care about that.

"Facts" AND details should have been finalised well before Nov 1....it's a billion dollar business, not a part-time job juggled between his other jobs.

Gus is right on this.

No doubt Players Association are playing hard ball but as someone stated...these essential measures like sc amounts, player remuneration details etc should be known at least 6 months before they are set to run out, or ideally have a 5 year time frame plan going forward so Clubs can manage their rosters and expenditure.
Agree the support staff do the actual work makes the whole exercise for Vlandys a a media front

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Met in the office at Racing NSW?
Doesn't NRL have an office in Philip St?
V’Ladys is also CEO of Racing NSW (his day job) as well as being Chair of the ARLC. Phillip St closed years ago when NRL HQ moved to Moore Park.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I hope that he continues as GM of Football at the Dogs. I feel we are finally getting some much-needed direction and momentum don't want to lose him yet.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good on him, hes saying what everyone thinks.

The League is a joke of a "professional" competition, how can you not tell the clubs where they stand this close to a season starting, keep these fools running the comp and it won't last 10 years.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd rather he ran the NRL than the muppets that are ruining the league now..
In 2027, if he feels like it and his work at the Dogs is done, then sure.
Until then, back to work Gus.
By then he'd be approaching 70. He might just sit back on his media jobs (semi-retirement compared to current workload).

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought I heard on the radio this morning the cap will go up to 12.5 mil for 23
That is what the rumour is and that has been proposed by the NRL but apparently the RLPA with the CBA aren't happy. Don't know if they want it to go up more or whether specific clauses or conditions are the problem