Phil Gould and Bulldogs land signature of 'lightning' nephew of Kiwi legend

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have signed one of the best all-round young sportsmen in New Zealand as they continue their build-up for 2024 and beyond.

Roy Tatupu, whose uncle Tony had a long and distinguished career for the Warriors, Kiwis and Samoa, has signed to play with the club for the next two years.

The Bulldogs beat a host of NRL clubs as well as Kiwi rugby outfits to sign the talented outside back.

The 17-year-old has played for both the Auckland Blues Rugby Union Academy and the NZ Open Men's volleyball team, as well as excelling at league with well-known breeding ground Mount Albert Grammar School.

Standing at 190cm and weighing 94kgs, Tatupu has lightning pace and has also shown promise in athletics and basketball.

But he has decided on a career in league and the Bulldogs believe they have found a good one.

The youngster's ability has already caught the eye of Bulldogs guru Phil Gould.

"Roy is going OK in the week or so he has been here - he has shown some really good signs at training," Gould told Wide World of Sports.

ginnengroupsports

Welcoming Roy Tatupu! From Auckland, NZ & proud Samoan heritage, has excelled in a various sporting codes...

From rep softball for NZ since early teenage years, Auckland Blues 18s Rugby Academy for the last 2 years, & being named in the NZ Open Men’s volleyball squad for 2024, it’s obvious Roy is an athlete who thrives when he applies himself. Not only was Roy recognised as the Top Sportsman for 2023 by his school Mt Albert Grammar, also named “The best overall sports person of the year”, at the College Sport Auckland awards.

Roys achievements & athleticism caught the attention & interests of a number of NRL clubs, with the support of his family, has agreed terms with the Canterbury Bulldogs which will see him join the NRL club until the end of 2025. We’re pleased to be supporting the talented young gun on his new journey @nrl_bulldogs

17 years old 190cm and 94kgs, he's big lad.

Always a Bulldog

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Guessing we will be making him play in the forwards? Got enough outside backs.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guessing we will be making him play in the forwards? Got enough outside backs.
It’s a two year deal. He is 17 so more than likely won’t see any NRL action under this current deal. This signing doesn’t have any effect on NRL signings in the forwards. As much as everyone agrees we need some quality in the middle.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m expecting 2-3 players to stand up in 2024 from lower grades .
We have almost the best backs in the comp and if our young guys like Morrin and Hughes can crank up a gear it will help rest of the team lift and help set a platform.
And add kikau,Preston and tenacious reed Mahooney we should be more than competitive.
Bulldogs all the way 2024

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s a two year deal. He is 17 so more than likely won’t see any NRL action under this current deal. This signing doesn’t have any effect on NRL signings in the forwards. As much as everyone agrees we need some quality in the middle.
yeah exactly I just hope we’re balancing the lower grades with all positions than targeting a few positions.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m expecting 2-3 players to stand up in 2024 from lower grades .
We have almost the best backs in the comp and if our young guys like Morrin and Hughes can crank up a gear it will help rest of the team lift and help set a platform.
And add kikau,Preston and tenacious reed Mahooney we should be more than competitive.
Bulldogs all the way 2024
I'd like to think so, but I won't believe this will be anything but another underperforming year.
That way, I'm not disappointed, or I could be pleasantly surprised.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good work Gussy, Another quality young talent acquired for the club

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd like to think so, but I won't believe this will be anything but another underperforming year.
That way, I'm not disappointed, or I could be pleasantly surprised.
Yep indeed. Each year I hope for year on year incremental improvement. The recruitment mostly looks good and seems to have us heading in the right direction both in the NRL team and Juniors. However Gus tells us to have patience….since 2020 when Bulldogs & Broncos both “finished last” on 6 points (only F/A saved us), Broncos have climbed from bottom to top by 2023.
2020-23 we have finished 15, 16, 12, 15. Almost no improvement. With turning over at minimum half the roster every year, I would expect our climb up the ladder should be well on the way. Gus/CC need to deliver in 2024, to finish somewhere 9-12 at least.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not much of a wrap from gus tbh, can someone explain what blinding speed means?
I ran 100m in 10.77 but never had blinding speed!