Pet appreciation Thread! Show us your pets

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I lost one of my good friends today. This is Charlie, one of my neighbours' cats. He has been having kidney problems for a while & succumbed to it today. I have walked passed his house almost every day for the last 13 years & got many pats from him. He had the loudest purr & meow. RIP my good friend. He was only 14 1/2.
Charlie5.JPG

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for good beaches/swimming places to take dogs in or near Sydney? Ideally a beach/swimming that is more secluded/quiet.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for good beaches/swimming places to take dogs in or near Sydney? Ideally a beach/swimming that is more secluded/quiet.
Sure do mate... as our girl loves swimming.

1. BEST ONE: Rowland Reserve, Bayview. Dedicated Dog Park and beach (all off leash). Can get busy at times. Owners are all lovely I've found and only seen one flare up there before. Sandbar goes out into the Pittwater inlet and the tide comes back towards the shoreline. Water stations and poo bags and bins. 24/7 access.

2. Yarramundi Reserve (North side) at Yaramundi (near Castlereagh) has direct access to the Hawkesbury/Nepean river. There's an off leash dog swimming area there too. Open during daylight hours but I've been there as late as 9pm and people haven't locked up.

3. Sirius Cove (next bay around from Taronga Zoo). Operates during weekdays only at specific hours though. Same with Chowder Bay. Been there a few times and it's a shallow cove with amenities block. Water comes back towards the shoreline. Off leash.

4. Spit Bridge Reserve they can swim at (not sure on times though).

5. Lake Parramatta technically isn't allowed but I've seen people do it.

6. Collaroy and Manly Lagoon apparently dogs can swim in, but water quality is questionable.

7. Silver Beach, Kurnell - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND as a dog was taken by a shark there last year.

These few links are pretty good:
http://www.greatdogwalks.com.au/sydney-dog-friendly-beaches.aspx
https://www.goget.com.au/blog/dog-friendly-beaches-near-sydney/
http://postcardsydney.com/the-real-list-of-dog-friendly-beaches-in-sydney/

There's also a book at Dymocks about Australias best Dog spots. Covers everything from accommodation to beaches to parks, and things to do/eat.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Sure do mate... as our girl loves swimming.

1. BEST ONE: Rowland Reserve, Bayview. Dedicated Dog Park and beach (all off leash). Can get busy at times. Owners are all lovely I've found and only seen one flare up there before. Sandbar goes out into the Pittwater inlet and the tide comes back towards the shoreline. Water stations and poo bags and bins. 24/7 access.

2. Yarramundi Reserve (North side) at Yaramundi (near Castlereagh) has direct access to the Hawkesbury/Nepean river. There's an off leash dog swimming area there too. Open during daylight hours but I've been there as late as 9pm and people haven't locked up.

3. Sirius Cove (next bay around from Taronga Zoo). Operates during weekdays only at specific hours though. Same with Chowder Bay. Been there a few times and it's a shallow cove with amenities block. Water comes back towards the shoreline. Off leash.

4. Spit Bridge Reserve they can swim at (not sure on times though).

5. Lake Parramatta technically isn't allowed but I've seen people do it.

6. Collaroy and Manly Lagoon apparently dogs can swim in, but water quality is questionable.

7. Silver Beach, Kurnell - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND as a dog was taken by a shark there last year.

These few links are pretty good:
http://www.greatdogwalks.com.au/sydney-dog-friendly-beaches.aspx
https://www.goget.com.au/blog/dog-friendly-beaches-near-sydney/
http://postcardsydney.com/the-real-list-of-dog-friendly-beaches-in-sydney/

There's also a book at Dymocks about Australias best Dog spots. Covers everything from accommodation to beaches to parks, and things to do/eat.
legend.

Thx mate, our boy is 16 and a half and pretty sick. Trying to spend as much quality time as possible before the inevitable.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It really sucks to lose a pet man.

I went to the vet so my cat could get the usual vaccinations last year, and a family walked in asking for there pet to be put down.

Long story short, during a previous visit they found a growth and the dog was too old tom operate so they put the dog down, they were in the next room to me and i could hear them all crying.

Worst trip to the vet ever, i felt like shit afterwards and it wasn't even my pet.

Same thing happened to my Dad's dog, she was the best, so fucking friendly with everyone, god it hurt to say goodbye

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I went to the vet so my cat could get the usual vaccinations last year, and a family walked in asking for there pet to be put down.

Long story short, during a previous visit they found a growth and the dog was too old tom operate so they put the dog down, they were in the next room to me and i could hear them all crying.

Worst trip to the vet ever, i felt like shit afterwards and it wasn't even my pet.

Same thing happened to my Dad's dog, she was the best, so fucking friendly with everyone, god it hurt to say goodbye
Animals are an important part of life honestly, heck some of them are better than alot of people

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

That really sux.

He's been going downhill for a good 2-3 years now. But lately it's getting more serious and I am imagining the end is probably going to happen by the time this winter rolls around (mind you've I've thought that a couple of times in past years as well and he's kept soldiering on).

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My Wife's Grandfater always said he loves animals.

He proudly said he likes some animals more than people, he was a good judge of character

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear mate :(
Thanks man - all good. You have to focus on the amazing gifts that your dog/pet has given to you for so long.

Because he's had some really bad sicknesses in the past three years, we've ended up living in the moment with him a lot more, rather than taking him for granted.

Very much looking forward to a car ride with him to a nice swimming spot this weekend.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You know what? Even if you have an old pet & you prepare yourself for the inevitable, you can never be prepared. They get under your skin & become a part of you & although it gets easier with time, you never forget them!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lost my best mate before christmas to cancer.I still cant look at his picture or talk about him without getting tear in my eye.he watched the doggies play every weekend with me for 14 years.I WILL MISS YOU THIS SEASON MATE
Picture 218.jpg

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Little Austi.
Best dog beach in Sydney (well nearly Sydney) by far.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Little Austi.
Best dog beach in Sydney (well nearly Sydney) by far.
Just looked on google and it looks like a nice little beach. Maybe we will drive down for a visit this long weekend. Thx for the tip!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
8 months ago I wrote on here that I was on a search for a new buddy and preferbly a medium to smaller sized one. But due to a few family issues and recently purchasing a new house it’s been too hectic to have the added responsibility of a new puppy but now that everything’s is settled at home and Work is a lot easier I’ve resumed my search for a dog again. This time around I have a much bigger backyard and more time to give the dog attention so size doesn’t bother me. Looking for a dog that is good with other dogs as now that I live with my girlfriend and her small Maltese puppy who is only like 9 months I need one that will be able to live with it. Been to a few shelters to get a better idea of some dogs and staffys and pitbulls have really caught my eye and interacted the best with me. Tbh having a toybreed at home already means I’d prefer a big dog.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
8 months ago I wrote on here that I was on a search for a new buddy and preferbly a medium to smaller sized one. But due to a few family issues and recently purchasing a new house it’s been too hectic to have the added responsibility of a new puppy but now that everything’s is settled at home and Work is a lot easier I’ve resumed my search for a dog again. This time around I have a much bigger backyard and more time to give the dog attention so size doesn’t bother me. Looking for a dog that is good with other dogs as now that I live with my girlfriend and her small Maltese puppy who is only like 9 months I need one that will be able to live with it. Been to a few shelters to get a better idea of some dogs and staffys and pitbulls have really caught my eye and interacted the best with me. Tbh having a toybreed at home already means I’d prefer a big dog.
Labrador.... but make sure you have a sense of humour.

Awesome dogs :grinning: Easy to train, and get along with everyone.

Get one from show lines (they are chunkier and more solid) - if you want a more affectionate and calmer one.
Get one from field lines (slimmer and more boisterous) - if you want a more "on the go" dog.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Staffy all the mate,bit hectic as pups but you won't get a more loyal mate