Pay axes 3 stars...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is Martin being dropped? How are Elliott, Okunbur, Montoya and Sue all in FG right now?

I know Harper might not be ready yet but he can't be worse than Okunbur defensively so he should be getting a shot, not trying to move our best edge second rower in CHN to the centres.

Where is Renouf??? How does Sue get a run ahead of him? Katoa has to come straight in when he's fit...
Bloody oath mate, I’ve been saying this for a while.. maybe Harpers he’s not ready, but why not give him a go! He plays with hunger and will give his all.. he won’t be worse than Okunbor.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland threw a game high 9 offloads but his tip on passing cost us vital possession (that offload that Tolman dropped was wrong place wrong time) and obviously Pay is blaming him on defence reads on Okunbor wing

Lewis is straight swap for Fozzy so I understand that. Cogger is ahead of him

Martin not so much his defence but rather the two crucial penalties that he gave away and both preventable

Plus his goal kicking ain’t red hot in recent times

That said I’d still roll the dice with Holland over Montoya and keep Martin too

Sue, Elliott (Shake My head)
Martin has got some really dumb penalties in him ... id still rather him over elliot at this stage. Elliot doesnt warrant automatic selection..

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some very questionable selections which I have no doubt was on the back of strong performances in reserve grade.

Sue had 200m or so last game? So comes in got ogden who is the only player who bends the line. Yet plays 20 mins.

I’m sorry I tried to support pay. I really have. But dude is out of his depth. How Montoya comes back in and at centre too....

And you are dropping for bad defence. Has he seen what okunbor has done all year, bad defensive plays. Let in some poor try’s with shit effort. Can’t catch a bomb. Can’t catch a pass. Can’t hold the ball from a tap yet gets a 2 year extension.

I’m all for Lewis getting dropped. Hasn’t done near enough as a half so far this season. But honestly is Montoya the best we have? Rewarding mediocrity while we have had smith and ogden who have been solid all year with limited mins yet they have been dropped then back in.

Pay must have lost it with the pressure of being an nrl coach. There is no method to his madness unfortunately.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay says according to this report axing was because of poor defence yet okinbur the player that run in too early conceding both tries is still there. Work that out. Putting in players that are worse then the ones his replacing makes good sense
Over and over I hear people say this, but its ridiculous. What are you supposed to de when the whole defensive line compresses towards the middle of the field? If your centre moves in then you are basically obliged to follow. If not you will leave a massive hole.
I'm not saying he is a great defender, but a lot of the time his decisions are made for him.
The issue I have with Okunbor is that he takes 2pm taps and drops the ball cold.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Okunbur somehow survives this? With him and Montoya this will be the outcome; Knights 50 - Dogs 0.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is trying to be pro-active but the changes he makes are so mind boggling.
He says defense is an issue so he drops Holland and replaces with an even worse defender in Montoya and now You have 2 of the worst defenders in the league next to each other .
Drops martin and replaces with Elliot... wtf...
To be fair, he actually replaced Holland with CHN, but he was unable to play.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
To be fair, he actually replaced Holland with CHN, but he was unable to play.
To be fair, if CHN wasnt available then Holland should stay in fg or put Lewis there, his mrs isnt due for another week apparently .
You can't put Montoya and Okenbur in same team against knights who are back in form atm...
And if he is dropping players based on their performances than Okenbur should have been first one dropped and replace him with Katoa or Crichton. They wont rush infield 40m for no reason in defense

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some very questionable selections which I have no doubt was on the back of strong performances in reserve grade.

Sue had 200m or so last game? So comes in got ogden who is the only player who bends the line. Yet plays 20 mins.

I’m sorry I tried to support pay. I really have. But dude is out of his depth. How Montoya comes back in and at centre too....

And you are dropping for bad defence. Has he seen what okunbor has done all year, bad defensive plays. Let in some poor try’s with shit effort. Can’t catch a bomb. Can’t catch a pass. Can’t hold the ball from a tap yet gets a 2 year extension.

I’m all for Lewis getting dropped. Hasn’t done near enough as a half so far this season. But honestly is Montoya the best we have? Rewarding mediocrity while we have had smith and ogden who have been solid all year with limited mins yet they have been dropped then back in.

Pay must have lost it with the pressure of being an nrl coach. There is no method to his madness unfortunately.
im the same, i tried to give Pay the benefit of the doubt last year, but i did say in the off season his grace period was coming to an end.. and it well and truly is..

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
very predictable lewis dropped after 8 rounds we all saw that coming

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Martin has got some really dumb penalties in him ... id still rather him over elliot at this stage. Elliot doesnt warrant automatic selection..
Lewis as well gives away hold down late tackle penalties that could be prevented

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and holland being dropped is a publicity stunt he will absolutely 100% be back

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Montoya and Okunbur CANNOT under any circumstances defend on the same side!

I continue to be in dis-belief with what's going on.

Just run the same lineup as what we had when we won convincingly against the Tigers (Except Lichaa). No more swapping and changing.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seriously what's Pay meant to do??
Everyone is screaming the joint down how our performances aren't up to scratch, this and that player should be dropped etc etc. Pay at least is being reactive. Sure one or two players he is bringing in aren't much better but we don't have the depth!! This is our roster Pay has to work with and if the players can't respond to him then each and every player needs to have a good look at themselves.
Montoya shouldn't be there but unfortunately Pay's plan to put CHN in the centre's can't happen so what choice does he have? That's not Pay's fault CHN isn't available.

We need to get behind Pay because the problem will be if the players take control of the sheds then we have a situation where players run the club. This will be a disaster. Also, something tells me Martin's attitude isn't right so he deserves to be dropped.

Pay needs the fans support for now at least to have time to prove himself and with his reactive responses you can't blame him for trying.
I agree. Team sheet comes out Tuesday, everyone loses their shit, changes are announced Thursday, everyone loses their shit. What the fuck is he meant to do? If we have such a shit fg team, how is he meant to replace the players he drops with better players?? Some people is just fucking unrealistic!!

All things said though, I'm losing patience with pay myself.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lewis as well gives away hold down late tackle penalties that could be prevented
im happy to give away a strategic hold penalty .. but unfortunately most of them are just dumb and not needed..

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What did Martin do to get dropped?
What did Ogden do to get dropped and then recalled?
Did Elliott get retained because of one pass he threw to set up a try?
What did Martin do to get dropped...Nothing.
And thats why he got dropped. He did nothing.
If it wasnt for his goal kicking, he would not be considered for first grade.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Over and over I hear people say this, but its ridiculous. What are you supposed to de when the whole defensive line compresses towards the middle of the field? If your centre moves in then you are basically obliged to follow. If not you will leave a massive hole.
I'm not saying he is a great defender, but a lot of the time his decisions are made for him.
The issue I have with Okunbor is that he takes 2pm taps and drops the ball cold.
i know and agree with what you are saying but i have watched these tries over and over and okinbur isnt just following his centre it looks like on both tries he comes in way too early he actually finishes up in front of his centre. not sure what this kid was doing but its not working for him or us.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im the same, i tried to give Pay the benefit of the doubt last year, but i did say in the off season his grace period was coming to an end.. and it well and truly is..
abd we give him a year extension round 4 and give okunbor 2 years in round 6 or 7 or what ever it was while we are in 16th position ‍♂ Go figure.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
yes and I have noticed he has cleaned that up in the last 2 games. But you raise a good point about centres rushing in blind and leaving him with no option to but cover the hole they left leaving his wing totally exposed. But he seems to be a slow motion thinker - I guess he will mentally develop for this game with more game time. A rough diamond right now.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who runs the bulldogs 4 life Facebook page?

What a complete that posting shit about the club and trying to promote unrest re weidler and his "pay lost locker" bullshit!!!

And people need to stop protecting Martin. He is a penalty magnet and is playing like utter shit. Cost us a few tries with his shit decisions too. I'm done with him.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can’t polish a turd.

And we are pretty Turdy at the moment. Buttttttt.......

I would go

1. Meaney (I see long term fullback potential with the kid)
2. Smith (should be our winger for the next 10 years)
3. Lewis (only because Crighton isn’t a centre neither is Montoya and Holland shouldn’t start) Lewis is a bit like josh Morris minus the explosive speed.
4. Hoppa (most consistent player in the team)
5. Crighton (never got to see him on the wing would be worth another shot or throw katoa in)
6. Foran (should never go near the 7 again, he is a running half. Don’t expect him to be a playmaker)
7. Cogger (kid has a long boot on him. Deserves half a season to show us what he can do with a decent 5/8)
8. Tolman (no doubt about it)
9. JMK (no doubt about it)
10. Napa (no doubt about it)
11. CHN (the dude has scored 3 try’s in his last 2 games. Let’s not waste him at centre. You should never weaken one position to strengthen another)
12. Who wants it? Elliot probably gets it but I’m sure RMF should excel there.
13. Jackson (seen some of his best form in the last 3 years playing in the middle).

14. Ogden (first player picked, speed, hard hitter in defence and attack, need to get 35+ mins from him. Wasted only getting a 20 mins stint)
15. Toomaga (when fully fit, but in saying that fualalu wasn’t too bad last game)
16. Smith (like his attitude and enthusiasm. Deserves more then rubbish time, should get 25 mins to find sone rhythm) Tualau or sue as 2nd and 3rd options behind these 3)
17. Bit controversial. But I’d go Holland. If we need a 10-15min hooker or dummy half I’d go Kerrod only because his dummy half runs are pretty good (best part of his game) with a Tiring defence late in the game he could be a game changer. Plus the fact he is a 70% kicker. Plus the fact he can cover 1-5 with injury. And plus the fact that the utility off the bench sees no more then 10 mins, it’s not a big loss to carry him. Worst case scenario he doesn’t get on. Best case scenario he plays 10 mins and gets a line break or 2.

Again horrible team. Worst in the Comp in terms of talent. But much more balanced. 1-5 would stack up better then what will run out this weekend.

Or halves have a great runner in Foran and a decent boot in cogger, Lewis could be a 3rd kicking option and JMK a 4th kicking option. We shouldn’t get caught out like we used to with a spine of hoppa, Reynolds, lichaa.

Our forwards pick themselves and we are one of the better packs in the Comp. our bench forwards bring impact. Waste to have lichaa, sue, fualalu when you have a wrecking ball in ogden and potentially another smash brother in toomaga and Smith.

And having seen enough of CHN to suggest guy should be a second rower. The lines he runs. Light on his feet, he can cause trouble around the ruck runnibg off a half. Kid will be under utilised at centre.

Last edited: