Pay 2018 vs Hasler 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
@Novdoggie

My take on Pay. (but hey I am an opposition fan, so my thoughts could be shit)

IMO: The team has gone backwards since he took over.

The use of the bench is laughable.

Players don't seem to want to be on the field.

There is no pride in the Dogs jersey.

Pay seems to want to be the players friend instead of the boss.

I remember years ago, even if the Dogs were 20 points behind with 5 mins to go, they would still put in 100% until the final siren.

These days they get behind by 10 & most times the white flag is waved.

He promised the world in the off season & hasn't delivered.

It's the same shit, but different week.
I agree with the players attitude part of this post, however this has been the case for the last few years, not just this year and therefore can't be attributed to the coach. I think there are quite a few players in the squad who know their time milking the club is over under this new administration and the coach has nothing to do with it. Pay is not responsible for recruitment like Des was. He is not building his team. He is there to coach. The new administration including some of the board are in charge of building a new team.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I honestly thought we would do better than the 10 wins of last season.
Seems unlikely now and I think the team has gone backwards in many respects.
2019 season doesn't look a whole brighter either.
The worst rut the club has been in since I started following in 1976.
Sad,but true my friend and no patch job will fix all our problems.
Our downfall starts at the very top,for years our leadership has become a political circus.This softly,softly unrewarding 'family club' 'bulldog DNA' bs only impresses the gullible and success starved sentimental dreamers.We are not Souths or Saints,the 'Dogs of War' were known for their dominance on the football fields not the record books.

We need to employ a feared unaffiliated ruthless CEO to make some hard decisions,back patting needs to be replaced by heads rolling.Yes they ALL need to look at our history only to bow their heads in shame.

Brother you started following the Bulldogs in 1976,34 years into our premiership winning drought.Although starved of glory,you would have heard Bullfrog addressing the fans in the media and at Belmore with details of what was known as the 'reformation' of the Canterbury club.I will never forget the times I rushed to the Leagues Club after a game,in hope of asking him questions about our progress,as he walked around with a permanent smoke in his mouth chatting with fans.He addressed every question with honesty,we believed him,we knew the club was in good hands,win lose or draw we believed in the club.We could all see without any doubt that our 1974 and 79 tears were to be rewarded with one of the most dominant teams of the modern era.

Some will say "it's a new board and a new coach",fine so what's the plan? Fucking silence and finger pointing!My friends at the club tell me that we need to clean our squad,build a war chest for 2020 and concentrate on youth in 2018-19.I get it,some form of strategic silence must be maintained otherwise other clubs will make us pay dearly and we can also lose some third parties and sponsorship.But when you're rebuilding,trying to incite young players,it is imperative you show a level of destiny control,otherwise all you get are money hungry scum ready to jump ship the minute the boat rocks.When Newcastle,Manly and Saints encountered similar problems they were forthcoming with information,with hope if you will,for their fans.I for one am getting sick of hearing this one dimensional bad news barrage from the so called media.There is no concern in their rhetoric and with glee they are hellbent on enforcing our demise,stating as many exaggerated rumors as possible,if one sticks they pounce.

Our club needs to employ a mouthpiece in the media,like Newcastle have with Johns,Vautin for Manly,Fittler for Easts,Iken for Broncos to name a few.We need to tip the scales with optimism,only then will young players see us as a good career move instead of a destined suicide.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our downfall starts at the very top,for years our leadership has become a political circus.This softly,softly unrewarding 'family club' 'bulldog DNA' bs only impresses the gullible and success starved sentimental dreamers.We are not Souths or Saints,the 'Dogs of War' were known for their dominance on the football fields not the record books.

We need to employ a feared unaffiliated ruthless CEO to make some hard decisions,back patting needs to be replaced by heads rolling.Yes they ALL need to look at our history only to bow their heads in shame.

Brother you started following the Bulldogs in 1976,34 years into our premiership winning drought.Although starved of glory,you would have heard Bullfrog addressing the fans in the media and at Belmore with details of what was known as the 'reformation' of the Canterbury club.I will never forget the times I rushed to the Leagues Club after a game,in hope of asking him questions about our progress,as he walked around with a permanent smoke in his mouth chatting with fans.He addressed every question with honesty,we believed him,we knew the club was in good hands,win lose or draw we believed in the club.We could all see without any doubt that our 1974 and 79 tears were to be rewarded with one of the most dominant teams of the modern era.

Some will say "it's a new board and a new coach",fine so what's the plan? Fucking silence and finger pointing!My friends at the club tell me that we need to clean our squad,build a war chest for 2020 and concentrate on youth in 2018-19.I get it,some form of strategic silence must be maintained otherwise other clubs will make us pay dearly and we can also lose some third parties and sponsorship.But when you're rebuilding,trying to incite young players,it is imperative you show a level of destiny control,otherwise all you get are money hungry scum ready to jump ship the minute the boat rocks.When Newcastle,Manly and Saints encountered similar problems they were forthcoming with information,with hope if you will,for their fans.I for one am getting sick of hearing this one dimensional bad news barrage from the so called media.There is no concern in their rhetoric and with glee they are hellbent on enforcing our demise,stating as many exaggerated rumors as possible,if one sticks they pounce.

Our club needs to employ a mouthpiece in the media,like Newcastle have with Johns,Vautin for Manly,Fittler for Easts,Iken for Broncos to name a few.We need to tip the scales with optimism,only then will young players see us as a good career move instead of a destined suicide.
I hear what you saying and agree that it would be nice as fans to be included. I also agree with the mouthpiece comment. The truth though remains that we are the Bulldogs. Not Newcastle, Manly, Roosters, or Broncos. The Bulldogs sell papers. Bad news sells papers. Sensationalising sells papers. Whilst these remain constant no mouthpiece or good news stories will ever change this. We employed the first female CEO in the nrl. She was hell bent on changing public perception about he Bulldogs. She failed miserably. We will never shake the image that we have out there. Other clubs fans will not allow this to happen and there is no benefit for the press to help.

This all matters very little to those who play for our club and the player managers as they know how well treated players are at our club. I truly don't believe any of this bad publicity or secrecy affects young players decisions on where they play. Get them young enough from the bush, or bring them up ourselves and there is no problem. Any established player only moves for money. Simple as that. They can say it was the coach, club, fans, team. Bullshit. It was the money. Since Bullfrog passed away we have not developed our juniors or recruited bush players well at all. And to make things worse the ones we did recruit and develop, we let go. The new board know what to do. They all either seen it first hand or were part of it. We will get there again.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Haha.....man I enjoy your posts!
When I was a child supporting the Bulldogs teams of the 1970s I loved every bulldogs player and was always confident we would go into every game with a chance to win and group of players that busted a gut for the team & club.
I wonder if the current cohort of 8yo to 13yo bulldogs supporters today would say the same thing.
For 3 sessons now the club can't take a trick. I was a big supporter of the move to bring Foran to the club. But Foran is busted and this season at least is a write off as far as Foran is concerned.
My dad (huge berries/bulldogs fan) turns 80 on 29 Oct he has Parkinsons and heartbreakingly he had to go into age care last year. I'm sitting here with him now trying this, I don’t want to have to wait until 2020 to so see dogs playing decent football again.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Haha.....man I enjoy your posts!
When I was a child supporting the Bulldogs teams of the 1970s I loved every bulldogs player and was always confident we would go into every game with a chance to win and group of players that busted a gut for the team & club.
I wonder if the current cohort of 8yo to 13yo bulldogs supporters today would say the same thing.
For 3 sessons now the club can't take a trick. I was a big supporter of the move to bring Foran to the club. But Foran is busted and this season at least is a write off as far as Foran is concerned.
My dad (huge berries/bulldogs fan) turns 80 on 29 Oct he has Parkinsons and heartbreakingly he had to go into age care last year. I'm sitting here with him now trying this, I don’t want to have to wait until 2020 to so see dogs playing decent football again.
Brother first and foremost give your dad a huge hug from me,I hope he's comfortable,my thoughts are with you.

In one of my early threads named 'We need to get back to our roots',I was heavily criticized by impatient fans in this forum,that had illusions that a players wish list was going to miraculously manifest into a premiership.Unfortunately they don't know how our club turned from mediocre to greatness.In 1969 our club post Moore's era had a consistent formula based on a 5 year plan that yielded success,anyone that went to Belmore (or other grounds) and watched our 3rd grade witnessed this 1st hand.Since 1969 Canterbury has been the most successful club in Jersey Flegg (2008-17 National Youth Competition) with 8 premierships.This success was the foundations of our club,our bloodline,our DNA.As Moore always said "you can't buy a faithful bulldog,you need to breed him and blood him"!

Details below will clarify this.
1971 Jersey Flegg premiers. 1974 1st grade runners up.
1979 Jersey Flegg premiers. 1979 1st grade runners up 1980 1st grade premiers
1983 Jersey Flegg premiers. 1984 1st grade premiers. 1985 1st grade premiers. 1986 1st grade runners up. 1988 1st grade premiers.
1989-92 Jersey Flegg repeated finals appearances. 1994 1st grade runners up 1995 1st grade premiers.
1994-96 Jersey Flegg repeated finals appearances. 1998 1st grade runners up.
1999-2001 Jersey Flegg premiers 3 years in a row,JT was part of 2001 team 2002 1st grade premiership guaranteed before 'salary cap' points deduction.
2003 Jersey Flegg winners 2004 1st grade premiers.
2012 NYC minor premiers 2012 1st grade runners up. 2014 1st grade runners up.

When the club talks about tradition,us older fans know exactly what they mean.Sure as hell it doesn't mean Robbo's fierce runs,Cement's bone jarring tackles,Baa's game management or El Magic's records.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hear what you saying and agree that it would be nice as fans to be included. I also agree with the mouthpiece comment. The truth though remains that we are the Bulldogs. Not Newcastle, Manly, Roosters, or Broncos. The Bulldogs sell papers. Bad news sells papers. Sensationalising sells papers. Whilst these remain constant no mouthpiece or good news stories will ever change this. We employed the first female CEO in the nrl. She was hell bent on changing public perception about he Bulldogs. She failed miserably. We will never shake the image that we have out there. Other clubs fans will not allow this to happen and there is no benefit for the press to help.

This all matters very little to those who play for our club and the player managers as they know how well treated players are at our club. I truly don't believe any of this bad publicity or secrecy affects young players decisions on where they play. Get them young enough from the bush, or bring them up ourselves and there is no problem. Any established player only moves for money. Simple as that. They can say it was the coach, club, fans, team. Bullshit. It was the money. Since Bullfrog passed away we have not developed our juniors or recruited bush players well at all. And to make things worse the ones we did recruit and develop, we let go. The new board know what to do. They all either seen it first hand or were part of it. We will get there again.
Only a nuclear warhead from North Korea will sell newspapers,newspapers are dead bro.I received a letter only last week from Investment bank Goldman Sachs that News corp's 'The Daily Telegraph' is losing between $75-$80 million annually and online subscriptions have only picked up 35% of the losses.Clay Shirky, an American media theorist wrote in a seminal essay called ‘Newspapers and Thinking the Unthinkable’ addressed to Rupert Murdock ,that from 2015 and for the next few decades the internet and social media will transform journalism into overlapping special cases. Many of these internet models will rely on amateurs as researchers and writers and will rely on sponsorship or grants or endowments instead of revenues. Mainstream media will rely on excitable 14-21 year-olds distributing the results.

Granted there was a time in the distant past when we were relevant,but relevancy comes with results.If we were the Roosters or Broncos people will be interested,because it impacts their own pecking order,the Bulldog's dramas are only a side joke in rugby league.Don't take my word for it,listen closely how journalists address our peril.

I agree with you,we will get there eventually but vocal display of control is imperative.That was my point on Bullfrog.It is important to portray our 'player clean out' as a positive beginning.Public perception is an acquired trait not inherited and Castle failed because her advances were underpinned and impacted by other instances and decisions within the club.It's very hard to evaluate the benefit of the press,some can derive exceptional results like the Johns at Newcastle.But it would be foolish to ignore totally the power of filtered propaganda.

Young people are influenced by end point results,especially those that are not locally produced.It impacts their livelihood now,it's a career and their decisions are directed by their parents.The only reason JT came to the Dogs is because Ayoub promised JT's mother that he would look after him and the Bulldogs were a stable club with family traditions.Sure you'll acquire rejects but you'll never convince elite young players with options unless you strangle your salary cap.

The litmus test for our board passes when we become a powerhouse once again in Jersey Flegg,a competition we won more then any other team since Bullfrog took over in 1969.Until then it's only a sequel to the circus act that they all either seen it first hand or were part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.