Parramatta Eels turned down Will Hopoate’s request to be given Sundays off because of his faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
WILL Hopoate wanted to sit out Sunday NRL games due to his Mormon faith during his two-year tenure at Parramatta, but was denied the request because the club’s motto is “club first, team second and individual third’’.

In the wake of Canterbury’s decision to allow Hopoate to not train or play on Sundays, chairman Steve Sharp confirmed the Eels knocked back a similar approach from the NSW Origin representative.

“Yes that’s the case,” Sharp told The Daily Telegraph when asked about Hopoate’s request not to play on Sundays.

“You can’t choose to be a social footballer when it suits you and then a professional footballer when it suits you.

“We all have to acknowledge that it’s a great entertainment sport, but it’s a business and the business is spread over the entertainment areas and Sunday is one of the big games as far as your television goes.

“That’s why you want your best players out on the park whenever they can be, barring injury. We view that very strongly that if you play for the club, you have play for the club and the love of the game.”

Hopoate will miss three straight Sunday games in rounds 10, 11 and 12 against the Wests Tigers, the Roosters and Canberra. He is unsure whether he’ll play in the grand final if Canterbury makes it that far.

The 23-year-old, who quit the game in 2012 to embark on a two-year Mormon mission, has the support of Bulldogs coach Des Hasler, his teammates and CEO Raelene Castle.

Hopoate’s decision not to play or train on Sundays has also been well received by the rugby league community, who have labelled the star fullback courageous for following his faith.

Asked if it was a hard decision for Parramatta to say no, Sharp said: “No, not for me.

“Our motto is club first, team second and individual third and that’s been our motto from day one.

“But Will Hopoate left our club on good terms. He is a lovely man, he is an absolute gentleman and I’m really pleased to see him play good football and it looks like he is really enjoying his football and life.

“Good luck to him and I hope he continues to do that.

“If the Bulldogs are happy for him to miss four or five games throughout the year because he won’t play on Sundays, well that’s their choice.

“But it’s not our club’s choice.”

Hopoate also remains locked in a legal battle with the Eels over a contract dispute, which is currently being heard in the Supreme Court.

The fullback’s barrister Julieanne Levick remains optimistic of her client receiving a payout in relation to a three-year deal he signed when he returned to the Eels in 2014.

Meanwhile, Sharp said he hoped to meet with the NRL as soon as this week to formally discuss ramifications following salary cap allegations levelled at the club.

“They (the NRL) have come in and taken all that information and that’s where we are at,” Sharp said.

“We haven’t been contacted for further information, we’re happy to work with them and hopefully we’ll find out later this week.”

Source

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharp might be about as good with money as my wife...... but I agree with him here

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Best call Parra have made in years.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
“Our motto is club first, team second and individual third and that’s been our motto from day one.

“If the Bulldogs are happy for him to miss four or five games throughout the year because he won’t play on Sundays, well that’s their choice.

“But it’s not our club’s choice.”

Makes me embarrassed that our club doesn't feel the same way.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopoate’s decision not to play or train on Sundays has also been well received by the rugby league community, who have labelled the star fullback courageous for following his faith.
That's all that matters to our CEO. There was some positive publicity and a few journos said it was a good idea. Screw what the majority of fans think, that's why she kept saying appreciate your feedback to anyone who asked a question about it.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will might change his mind closer to Round 10 as an act of charity & sacrifice ;-)

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That's all that matters to our CEO. There was some positive publicity and a few journos said it was a good idea. Screw what the majority of fans think, that's why she kept saying appreciate your feedback to anyone who asked a question about it.
another feel good gimmick.......our club seems to worry more about warm fuzzies, Raelenes struggles as a woman and club promo's than the performances on the field..........we seem to be run like an RSL club or similar where they try to get warm fuzzy fluff pieces in the paper and cheezy gimmicks to get suckers through the doors

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
another feel good gimmick.......our club seems to worry more about warm fuzzies, Raelenes struggles as a woman and club promo's than the performances on the field..........we seem to be run like an RSL club or similar where they try to get warm fuzzy fluff pieces in the paper and cheezy gimmicks to get suckers through the doors
They'll reveal The Sapphire cheerleaders as trans gendered and we'll be praised for being so progressive.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ffs, is it too late to send our decision to the Bunker so they can possibly review and overturn it?
Lol. They can't normally rule on stupidity but maybe they could make an exception on this occasion just like they did on a forward pass a few weeks ago

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lets hope the Club hasnt put anything in writing to Hopoate. He plays semi finals or GF if we make it. No correspondence entered into.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wtf did this guy just steal our motto?

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mormon religion is as bat shit crazy as scientology. I wonder if he wears his magic undies during game time.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets hope the Club hasnt put anything in writing to Hopoate. He plays semi finals or GF if we make it. No correspondence entered into.
Lol. Dude Raelene has said its ok in the media.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hang on a sec so the no games on sunday clause was put to that rabble of a board at Parra and they said no? Yet we said it's all good poppa.

Our club is a toilet bowl.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd rather Hoppa sitting out 3 -5 games a season, being paid peanuts and playing like he is for us than playing like he did at Parra where he played all Sunday games for a ridiculous salary.

Hoppa is a budget pick up with the skills of an Origin star. If we were to pay him his full value he'd probably not be at the Dogs.

lafai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why can't we be more like Parra?

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
#sackralene I swear the woman is so soft, like honestly, I'm embarrassed this dawn French lookalike is our CEO.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm sick of this feel good crap. First souffs in 2014, then parra this year and now hoppa. FMD our club is turning into shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.