News Pack of Dogs will have Flanagan's back if he's targeted: Elliott

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam Elliott has declared Canterbury forwards have a responsibility to protect new halfback Kyle Flanagan as he warned playmakers were more likely to be targeted under the NRL’s new rules.

Flanagan complained about Cronulla captain Wade Graham "trying to help take my head off" in Saturday night’s 16-12 trial win at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium and Elliott said it was up to the Bulldogs forwards to look after him.

"I think that anyone who is going to be an on-ball half in the comp this year, particularly with how fast it is going to be, [rival] teams are going to send as much traffic as they can at those players," Elliott said.

"I think you have to take a bit of pride in your forwards and in your pack that it’s going to be hard to target those players."

Fronting the media for the first time since the Bulldogs announced last month that he would seek professional help for alcohol issues after an incident involving former teammate Michael Lichaa and his fiancée, Elliott only wanted to discuss on-field matters.

Match Highlights: Sharks v Bulldogs

"I think the club has dealt with that. It’s a private matter and out of all due respect to everyone involved I want to keep it that way," Elliott said.

After playing his first match since rupturing a biceps muscle in the July 5 clash with South Sydney, Elliott said he was now focused on Canterbury’s opening round trip to Newcastle next Friday and playing alongside Flanagan.

"He is a lot tougher than I thought and as a back-rower that is all you can ask from your halves," Elliott said of Flanagan, who joined the Bulldogs after being released just one year into his contract with Sydney Roosters.

"He has owned the move from the Roosters, he hasn’t shied away from any of that. He has fronted up when he has needed to.

"He has really bought in and he has taken a lot of accountability from the way we have trained and particularly how our attack has looked over the pre-season."

Flanagan was subjected to some extra attention from his former Sharks teammates on Saturday night, with Graham lining him up twice for heavy hits after he kicked the ball.

"If I was playing half I would want to know that I can trust my back-rower and that he was going to turn up when the tough stuff was ready," Elliott said.

"Flanno is certainly aware that I am going to be looking after him out on the field, and a lot of the boys. It’s your halfback and it’s the way the game has been for a long time.

"You want them each week to look forward to playing alongside you and have that confidence in you that they are going to be protected, that they are going to be able to get on the front foot and we are going to have a good partnership together."

Flanagan welcomed Elliott’s comments and said he wanted to earn the respect of the senior Canterbury players.

"I wish he could have been next to me when Wade Graham was trying to take my head off on the weekend, but I appreciate that," Flanagan said.

"I feel very comfortable in this football team and hearing that is pretty special. It works both ways, they have got to turn up when I am trying to put them through a hole and they have got to have my back as well."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Flanagan welcomed Elliott’s comments and said he wanted to earn the respect of the senior Canterbury players.

"I wish he could have been next to me when Wade Graham was trying to take my head off on the weekend, but I appreciate that," Flanagan said.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wade Graham is such a big mouth f..kwit. I remember him giving Klemmer shit after a game for us a few years ago. Loved what Frank the Tank did to him a few years ago. Wish players were still allowed to belt him like that.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There's not much our forwards can do about it, especially since the biff is gone. Pussies like Graham will be taking cheap coward shots all year on Flanno. The Sharks showed straight up how to play against us by targeting the only half we have. It's way too simple! Having options is the only way to keep the opposition guessing and we don't have any. They know exactly who to run for every set.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wade Graham is such a big mouth f..kwit. I remember him giving Klemmer shit after a game for us a few years ago. Loved what Frank the Tank did to him a few years ago. Wish players were still allowed to belt him like that.
Back when our pack intimidated the opposition.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Fuckin love that shit....

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm glad Flanagan feels comfortable in this football team, that mean's he can play to his potential.
I'm not surprised by that statement though, our players seem bit more quiet, down to earth I guess than the Roosters players, I could be wrong but that's just my unbiased opinion

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Almost hit of the decade that one, just behind 2010 Simon Dwyer hit on JWH

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's not much our forwards can do about it, especially since the biff is gone. Pussies like Graham will be taking cheap coward shots all year on Flanno. The Sharks showed straight up how to play against us by targeting the only half we have. It's way too simple! Having options is the only way to keep the opposition guessing and we don't have any. They know exactly who to run for every set.
They can repay him by smashing the opposition player responsible next time has the ball. Square the ledger.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It wouldn’t have mattered who was 5/8, Graham was going to try to take Flanagan‘s head off at every opportunity. He was on a mission, with only one target in his sights. It’s up to the forwards to give him protection, whether that’s getting in the way (obviously without obstruction) and then follow up retribution when necessary (obviously without incurring penalties).

Go Dogs

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Atoni needs to get around Pritchard. They are both gentle people but Frank knew he had to turn it on on the footy field.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The top sides have perfected the technique of having a player run diagonally in front of their kicker as he lines up his kick.
It's essentially an obstruction, forcing the defence to run around the player, but the refs have been allowing it for some time.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Wade Graham EARNED my respect with that hit. The way he got up and wanted to keep playing with blood coming out of his ears. Respect.