Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
5/8 will once again prove to be our Achilles heal. That and perhaps fullback.

Roberts is as useless as an umbrella during a tornado, and Keating did not impress in his appearances at Parra.

Roberts is a game breaker, but no 5/8.
This is what I meant about Roberts being the "mole" of the team next season.

Joey I CBF going back into the reasons why I don't see him as a 5/8. Quite simply, I don't believe he was sorely missed at all this year. I said it well before he got injured that I hope he gets dropped for Barba (even though Barba didn't turn out to be a much better solution), because he was playing crap IMO. He has one blinder of game for every 5-10 games he plays.

I hope he steps it up next season, but it's unlikely the case considering he's had over 4 years to prove his worth.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't play him at 5/8 where do you play him, NSW cup? He needs to get the start or his confidence will plummet, there has been times when we have seen him bludge but when he wants to run the ball in broken play he is magic.

The Faz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A good 5/8 needs to be consistent. Roberts, on his day is a great 5/8, but those days come rarely. Keating might not have the creative flair of Roberts, but he has played with Hodkinson before and they also have Noddy showing them the ropes, and that's got to count for something.

The competition is so tight these days, that we can't afford the time to see whether Roberts will gel with Hodkinson. We do however know that Keating and Hodo do gel and they've gelled at a high level as well (City/Country) not just in the juniors.

I vote for Keating at 5/8 with Roberts on the bench or in NSW Cup.

a shifty 1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Roberts options when games are hanging in the balance are his real weak point. He plays low percentage plays when under pressure and rarely executes well. Far too many times he has put in a shocking chip kick or no look pass early in the count when the opposition are stretched.

9/10 he chooses the wrong option when scores are close and it's the last throw of the dice. Hoping this improves, but he's had a fair shot at it.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Roberts because he has hectic polly tatts bro! lol

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the question should be: who should the starting hooker be - Ennis or Keating?

Obviously Ennis has got first crack, but i'd like to see keating rotate into the hooking role during the game. My impression is that he'd be more effective and dangerous than Ennis. I hope Ennis doesn't sook if he gets subbed off. Ennis really needs a big year because last season he was rubbish

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Waiting.................. 4 all the people who idolize Roberts n want him at 6...
Wait 4 it............
Don't you mean; 'waiting for all the non-retards to recognize a sh*thouse lineup?'

Pa-28

Bring back the BIFF!!!
Reaction score
Roberts should definitely start he adds so much to our attack and is rock solid in defence. I can't really see the benefit of Keating playing on the bench however, like it or not Ennis will not come off the field and Keating is not the same game breaking type of player that could come off the bench and score tries out of nothing like Barba. We would be wasting a bench spot with Keating, we need 4 big forwards on the bench like the Roosters had this year and watch us run straight over teams.

damobulldogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
Well if you don't play him at 5/8 where do you play him, NSW cup?
I think i may be going against the majority here but i would love to see him at centre. He is light on his feet and can create something. Obviously this would mean moving Idris into the 2nd row but i think eventually, that that will happen anyway

S

Shermy

Hodkinson and Roberts should be the starting pair as they are the best halfback and 5/8 in the club respectively.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think i may be going against the majority here but i would love to see him at centre. He is light on his feet and can create something. Obviously this would mean moving Idris into the 2nd row but i think eventually, that that will happen anyway
i'd be happy to go this way if he fails to fire next season at pivot

W

waveraider

I think it will be Ben, but he needs to step up this year with a young half back. I think the club have done the right thing in buying an insurance policy in Keating. Keating also gives us great coverage for Ennis. All looks pretty good to me as long as they play to their potential.

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
ben roberts at lock. stagg on bench. can develop roberts in an anasta type role. has his freedom and can bring himself in to play when he sees fit. hes had his fair amount of time at stand off and hes sh*t. 1 good game out of 6 is not good enough. keating and hodkinson partnership is what we need.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Ben Roberts will make an excellent 5/8 if our forwards go forward. In 2009 our forwards hit the line and made ground and this gave the ball to Ben in good position. In 2010 even when he was fit, he rarely was behind a pack going forward. Presumably this problem will be solved by Pritchard and Eastwood. Tandy also showed last year he can bend the line. For all the skill we have in our pack for next year I really think the key is going to be our bookends. Tandy is up to standard, what about the others?

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ben Roberts will have first shot. The fact that Hodkinson is there does bring some merit to the case of Keating but it also means that we need an experienced head in the halves as well and Roberts now will play more of a leadership role and that is why i think he will be there. IMO Keating has been brought in as a utility and also to put pressure on Roberts, consistency in performance has been his downfall in the past, Keating will hopefully bring that extra pressure which will make him step up every game.

Also, Roberts will get the ball alot more now and alot earlier then when Kimmorley was around. I would describe Kimmorley as a very dominant half back so i think that this could be the season where Roberts really asserts himself and makes his mark with us.

Either way im very excited to see it all unfold!

Status
Not open for further replies.