• Other (specify)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just want everyone's opinion on this - and for those who pick Keating - I want it justified.

Im a "Roberts" man all the way. What he offers to our right side attack in Morris and Goodwin was something we lacked for almost half the season. Have a look at what he did in the game against the Roosters this year - and then have a look at what our right side attack did after he got injured against the Broncos. He offers quick, long balls, speed off the mark, a decent step and a solid kicking game. And his defence has improved 10 fold since Luke Bailey ran over him for a double in 2007.

Keating, from what I have seen, looks Nippy. Has an OK kicking game. But I have not seen him dominate a game in his 2 seasons in the NRL. Period. He is a fringe first grader from what I have seen - and if we can convince Ennis to NOT play 80 minutes - then on the bench is the only place I can see him in our strongest starting line up

/rant

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
keating has a spot in the team as a bench utility, id be very surprised if roberts isnt given first shot at 6.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying Joey, however how often has Roberts been able to do that? He has torn a team a few times in his career which has been now what 5 yrs in the halves? Not enough i say.

Whoever trains the house down, and whoever has trial form should get the nod.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
I think Roberts deserves the first shot at five eight however I agree with Hansta that he only has a few good games then he goes missing..

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
I just want everyone's opinion on this - and for those who pick Keating - I want it justified.

Im a "Roberts" man all the way. What he offers to our right side attack in Morris and Goodwin was something we lacked for almost half the season. Have a look at what he did in the game against the Roosters this year - and then have a look at what our right side attack did after he got injured against the Broncos. He offers quick, long balls, speed off the mark, a decent step and a solid kicking game. And his defence has improved 10 fold since Luke Bailey ran over him for a double in 2007.

Keating, from what I have seen, looks Nippy. Has an OK kicking game. But I have not seen him dominate a game in his 2 seasons in the NRL. Period. He is a fringe first grader from what I have seen - and if we can convince Ennis to NOT play 80 minutes - then on the bench is the only place I can see him in our strongest starting line up

/rant
I agree with the Roberts ranting. Don't have an opinion on Keating because I haven't watched him much and probably have confused him with his brother in the past. I remember one of them tore it up against us in 08 or 09 and I couldn't stand him!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Has to be Ben Roberts. End of story!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
roberts first go, keating has torn teams to shred. the broncos this season comes to mind. however i think you shall find if roberts does dip in form and drops his chin he will get benched however i see him as a must start for now he has a great link with morris and that side of our attack is 10x better with him there.

bckd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying Joey, however how often has Roberts been able to do that? He has torn a team a few times in his career which has been now what 5 yrs in the halves? Not enough i say.

Whoever trains the house down, and whoever has trial form should get the nod.
Agree with you there Hansta. And because of this, IMHO, and also Keatings past links with Hodgo, it should give him the right to 1st crack. If it doesn't work out, so be it. But we know what we'll get off Roberts, and it isn't regular enough for someone who has had 5 years to do it. If the club was happy with Roberts why did they look around for options? Why buy someone not to give him a go?

Roberts has had his shot. Change positions or wait till Keating fails or is injured. Incumbent players don't deserve the right to 1st dibs when we have the season we just had.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Agree with you there Hansta. And because of this, IMHO, and also Keatings past links with Hodgo, it should give him the right to 1st crack. If it doesn't work out, so be it. But we know what we'll get off Roberts, and it isn't regular enough for someone who has had 5 years to do it. If the club was happy with Roberts why did they look around for options? Why buy someone not to give him a go?

Roberts has had his shot. Change positions or wait till Keating fails or is injured. Incumbent players don't deserve the right to 1st dibs when we have the season we just had.
Well, a bit of depth would be good. If Roberts got injured who would replace him? Barba? Then move Turner to fullback? Too many changes. Would be good to just slot another guy easily into the position than stuff the team around.

I hear a lot of people criticising Roberts for going missing but this year he was injured, and last year (particularly in the second half of the season) there were times Kimmorley and Ennis didn't pass to Roberts when he had all the room in the world. It did my head in watching it and I couldn't understand it. Those were the games that were either close or we lost btw.

I know Roberts is far from perfect, but I think he's an exciting player and his combination with Morris and Goodwin was the best in the comp and we all saw how much we missed that this year.

Moodey

Unknown
Reaction score
I personally think that Roberts is our best choice as he gels so well with Morris and Goodwin. In 2009 we saw what a great combination they were and I believe he was missed this year due to injury.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Ben Roberts is not the solution to 5/8. I want him out of there.

With that said, I haven't seen enough of Keating to say for sure whether I would put him there ahead of Roberts. I'm praying he will be much better than Roberts, because Roberts will need to be one of the main men next year and not behind people like Kimmorley - something whcih I believe he isn't capable of doing right now.

As Hani said, whoever trains the house down should be given first choice at 5/8 - and then see how they both go as the games roll on.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Can I also say, Roberts is looking to be the "mole" of our squad next year.

Hate to use such a word - but it's my prediction. Hope he proves me wrong.

Moodey

Unknown
Reaction score
Can I also say, Roberts is looking to be the "mole" of our squad next year.

Hate to use such a word - but it's my prediction. Hope he proves me wrong.
What do you mean the "mole" of our squad?

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you mean the "mole" of our squad?
The weakest link. Bring the team performance down because he can't be the leader we require from a 5/8.

Hodkinson is still a baby. They'll need to share a very good combination if we are to consider them a good halves pairing.

BDGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our stupid coaching staff will give the bulldogs version of Sandow the 5/8th spot.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
Roberts first crack and Keating off the bench.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Roberts first crack and Keating off the bench.
x2 - this is the most obvious and fair choice.

Roberts was sorely missed at points last season and if he can put his hand up and really go for it, he could be the difference maker we need.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we had won 3 and lost 4 when he got injured last year. Wouldnt say he was the reason we missed the 8.

Next year is a fresh year. Every position from 1 - 17 should be up for grabs. Prior records shouldnt mean too much when picking the team for round 1. Whoever wants it the most needs to do the work from now until round 1.

It's logical to say Roberts has done it before, but at the same time its logical to say that hodkinson and keating have history together so they can gel together more also. Whatever is the best dynamic for the team is what Moore should go with. If it helps the team with having Roberts starting 5/8, then that's awesome. But if Keating is the better pick, then Moore will have no hesitations in starting him over Roberts.

Remember Roberts is no Lockyer. Roberts hasnt done much in his career to just be guaranteed the spot. Until he does that, his position will never be safe.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've not heard of either of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.