Origin question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
There's 2 separate issues here. Take Ben Hannant for example. Say Ben gets picked for all 3 origin games this year.

1. He would get a match payment from the ARL for each game he plays (say $15,000 per game). That $45,000 he earns is paid out of the profits of SOO. I don't think that would be included in the Dogs salary cap.

2. In addition to the above, Ben has a clause written into his contract at the Bulldogs that says he will get paid an amount (eg $20,000) by the Dogs if he plays SOO this year. That amount will be included in the Dogs salary cap.
So he gets paid twice? Fair enough. Thanks for your input.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I remember reading something (a few years ago) there was a match payment, a win bonus and a series win bonus for origin, thought it was only about 4k a game. Always thought ARL controlled these payments....

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The ARL are practically run by the NRL but technically the ARl pay the players a slice of the pie for each Origin and Test match. Each player gets between 10-15k.

Some players also have incentive based contracts or clauses that rewards Origin or Test selection. Some players, not all. And the incentives or amounts paid to them vary and come onto that teams cap for the next season.

That is the way it works and is why some clubs might have to all of a sudden release a player for the next season even though they are contracted because another player might have had a great season out of nowhere and made reps and the team are now under cap pressure which they didn't budget for.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
lol no the club doesnt pay jack for rep footy!!!! with relations to rep footy and contracts, some clubs put it in the contract that if they play rep footy it activates a salary increase hence why they make sure they dont go over the cap!!

NSWRL and the QLDRL pay the players involved who are also funded by the ARL!

LOL if the teams had to pay it and it went to the cap then teams like brisbane will be massively dissadvantaged esp since they had something like 5-8 players involved yearly per game. And i think they get paid something like 7-8k if not more per game. Thats a lot of $$ for a club to pay when it has nothing to do with them

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
lol no the club doesnt pay jack for rep footy!!!! with relations to rep footy and contracts, some clubs put it in the contract that if they play rep footy it activates a salary increase hence why they make sure they dont go over the cap!!

NSWRL and the QLDRL pay the players involved who are also funded by the ARL!

LOL if the teams had to pay it and it went to the cap then teams like brisbane will be massively dissadvantaged esp since they had something like 5-8 players involved yearly per game. And i think they get paid something like 7-8k if not more per game. Thats a lot of $$ for a club to pay when it has nothing to do with them
Makes sense tbh. I wasnt too sure how it all worked but I had an idea the club has nothing to do with. Thanks for the info Hansta and everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.