Origin question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I was just wondering, who pays the Origin players? Their clubs, the ARL or sponsors?

Thanks!

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ARL I would assume, has nothing to do with clubs or NRL

Its ARL, NSWRL and QRL

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but do the clubs have to pay their player still for the week they missed.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
but do the clubs have to pay their player still for the week they missed.

They clubs are obligated to pay them a salary, so whether that is fornightly or whatever they still have to pay

But if you play origin, you get paid extra from the ARL etc.

I assume thats how it works

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
They clubs are obligated to pay them a salary, so whether that is fornightly or whatever they still have to pay

But if you play origin, you get paid extra from the ARL etc.

I assume thats how it works
Thats what I thought, but I had a discussion with my cousin about this and he's adamant that the club pays the players. :confused:

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ARL i think.

I think the funds from the origin parties pay them maybe aswell ?

Can anyone clarify?

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah ok then. So why does the club have to fork out the cash if Origin isnt affiliated with the NRL?
I think when a player signs a deal there are provisions for rep bonuses etc. Whatever the case, it comes out the cap.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ARL pays the players. I remember reading an article that said players got around $15,000 a game to play SOO and got less for Tests (around $10,000).

But alot of players will also have clauses written in their club contracts that say they get paid extra if they make representative teams.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ARL pays the players. I remember reading an article that said players got around $15,000 a game to play SOO and got less for Tests (around $10,000).

But alot of players will also have clauses written in their club contracts that say they get paid extra if they make representative teams.
^ what he said, but im pretty sure the 15k comes out the cap

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
^ what he said, but im pretty sure the 15k comes out the cap
I don't think it does. It would seriously disadvantage some clubs if it did.

For example Brisbane used regularly get around 10 players picked for Origin. If they all played 3 games that would be $450,000 out of their cap. Add internationals and it takes it over $500,000 less then clubs who don't get players picked. I can't imagine Brisbane copping that.

I could be wrong though.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I think when a player signs a deal there are provisions for rep bonuses etc. Whatever the case, it comes out the cap.

I think I get it now. So the ARL still pays the club if/when that player plays for Origin which then gets forwarded to the player?

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it does. It would seriously disadvantage some clubs if it did.

For example Brisbane used regularly get around 10 players picked for Origin. If they all played 3 games that would be $450,000 out of their cap. Add internationals and it takes it over $500,000 less then clubs who don't get players picked. I can't imagine Brisbane copping that.
Yeah but wouldn't they take advantage of it if it were the other way..

Lets fight.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think I get it now. So the ARL still pays the club if/when that player plays for Origin which then gets forwarded to the player?
I'm almost guaranteed the money they get paid comes out of the profits for SOO. I remember during the whole debate about whether the game can afford to pay players more, there was an idea to increase the amount rep players get paid. Gallop showed that the profits for SOO couldn't sustain increasing the amount they got paid.

Whether this amount gets taken out of the clubs salary cap is up in the air though. I would have thought it didn't but I could be wrong.

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah but wouldn't they take advantage of it if it were the other way..

Lets fight.
I can't see how they would take advantage of it. I doubt any player would sign for $45,000 less because they were pretty much guaranteed of playing SOO. If they get an injury and don't play they are out of pocket $45,000. Look at Lockyer last year.

I'm ready to bung it on lol.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I'm almost guaranteed the money they get paid comes out of the profits for SOO. I remember during the whole debate about whether the game can afford to pay players more, there was an idea to increase the amount rep players get paid. Gallop showed that the profits for SOO couldn't sustain increasing the amount they got paid.

Whether this amount gets taken out of the clubs salary cap is up in the air though. I would have thought it didn't but I could be wrong.
I wouldnt have thought it come out of the pockets of the clubs. Unless they do have special provisions in the salary cap for Origin players.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alrite lets roll General, meet you out back in 10!

The_General

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldnt have thought it come out of the pockets of the clubs. Unless they do have special provisions in the salary cap for Origin players.
There's 2 separate issues here. Take Ben Hannant for example. Say Ben gets picked for all 3 origin games this year.

1. He would get a match payment from the ARL for each game he plays (say $15,000 per game). That $45,000 he earns is paid out of the profits of SOO. I don't think that would be included in the Dogs salary cap.

2. In addition to the above, Ben has a clause written into his contract at the Bulldogs that says he will get paid an amount (eg $20,000) by the Dogs if he plays SOO this year. That amount will be included in the Dogs salary cap.

Alrite lets roll General, meet you out back in 10!
Just enough time to call a few of my cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.