Opposed session v tigers

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If Montoya returns to vintage Montoya I'm okay with that. Montoya in peak form, with Smith on the other wing is a formidable combination.

Both tall, athletic types with long gaits, who are safe under the high ball. No chance of getting out leaped and will defend kicks heading to the edges well.

Add in Holland and Crichton into the centres feeding them good ball (and in Crichtons case much needed help out of the deep end), and you have a good backline forming.

At the back be it Hoppa or Meaney, both will do a good job, although Hoppa if he plays like the backend of last year, will be a looming threat around Foran/Lewis/Napa/CHN/Sue and their offloads.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the word on this. Cant get into it too much but we did well.
If Montoya returns to vintage Montoya I'm okay with that. Montoya in peak form, with Smith on the other wing is a formidable combination.

Both tall, athletic types with long gaits, who are safe under the high ball. No chance of getting out leaped and will defend kicks heading to the edges well.

Add in Holland and Crichton into the centres feeding them good ball (and in Crichtons case much needed help out of the deep end), and you have a good backline forming.

At the back be it Hoppa or Meaney, both will do a good job, although Hoppa if he plays like the backend of last year, will be a looming threat around Foran/Lewis/Napa/CHN/Sue and their offloads.
DM'd you

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Vintage Montoya isn’t that good though.. he’s too slow. It’s crazy that he’s slow with his build though, and he’s Fijian.. 0-10m takes him about 10 seconds.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Vintage Montoya isn’t that good though.. he’s too slow. It’s crazy that he’s slow with his build though, and he’s Fijian.. 0-10m takes him about 10 seconds.
12 tries from 19 games in his best season (2017).

He's not the fastest bloke but it's helped him find the line on several occassions.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont mind giving reimis a run in the centres. Dont need a gun centre if we already have one. Easier to find a top flight winger than a centre if reimis does eventually move in there. Hoppa might start games at the back with dutch and meaney on the left, hop and meaney swapping at Times as season progressors. Looks like there looking at a few different scenarios for the future.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

He's not the fastest bloke but it's helped him find the line on several occassions.
That’s his only other season than last year. He was only an alright player then as well.

Pros: safe with high ball in attack and D
Cons: everything else.

He needs to be more explosive. He’s so slow it’s not funny. Looks like he’s put on muscle in the off-season photos though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
That’s his only other season than last year. He was only an alright player then as well.

Pros: safe with high ball in attack and D
Cons: everything else.

He needs to be more explosive. He’s so slow it’s not funny. Looks like he’s put on muscle in the off-season photos though.
I'm happy to give him another chance... he's got Harper / Okunbor / Meaney snapping at his heels if he fails. That's the beauty about our backline now, players can shift around if one underperforms.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
That was round 13 or 14 from memory so he got given alot of time.
Actually, montoya was dropped for round 15, but due to B moz child being born, he was reinstated. Then he was dropped for round 16, but then J moz pulled out last minute and montoya was moved to centre for that game. He was then dropped officially in Round 17 and that's when he was injured in ISP.

However I do agree he was afforded to many chances.. Maybe Pay was trying to build rapport

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I heard we won 60-4. Mbye was 2/6 goal kicking.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this a gee up?
How can he have 6 shots at goal with only 4 points on the board?
6 Penalty goal attempts (missing 4) and no tries? :confused:
its clearly a gee up LOL

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is this a gee up?
How can he have 6 shots at goal with only 4 points on the board?
6 Penalty goal attempts (missing 4) and no tries? :confused:
He only got 2 shots out of 6. So they ended up on 4 points.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it would be good to have some video/photos from the opposed session.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t know why anyone is hung up on the result if you have ever seen a opposed session it’s stop/start. I doubt they kept score or even had a clock on.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

2018 for Montoya was second year syndrome case in point