Opinion Opinions on new coaches

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Georgallis for starters. Then sound out a coaching role and watch the applications role in

Last edited:

sillymaddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Walker brothers..... Could be out of the box thinking but the game looks faster with the new rules and the game plan they run is all about possession.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
People really need to stop going on about Shane Flanagan. The guy implemented and oversaw a drug program while coach then broke nrl rules around not being in contact with the club during his ban
He then won a premiership when the year before they were over the salary cap the year after they were over the salary cap and for the year they won it the nrl says they were cap compliant on grand final day

The guy only looks good as a coach because he cheated. Let’s look where he is now assistant coach at St George. How is that working out? They have gotten worse since he joined

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
V’LANDYS SAYS FLANAGAN MUST COMPLETE HEAD COACH BAN

Peter V’landys has squashed suggestions Shane Flanagan could have his head- coaching ban reduced, effectively ruling him out as a possible early replacement for besieged St George Illawarra mentor Paul McGregor.

Currently McGregor’s assistant, former Cronulla coach Flanagan is banned from becoming a head coach again until 2022 after violating the rules of a previous suspension over his role in the Sharks’ supplements scandal.

“He (Flanagan) has to serve the penalty he’s been given and there’s no reason at this stage to change that penalty,” ARLC chairman V’landys told 2GB radio on Thursday.

Despite being contracted until the end of 2021, McGregor is under enormous pressure to turn around his winless and under-performing team before the next Dragons club board meeting later this month.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7244821c2ec5505c2189fb719cc68f36

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fitzgibbon? Has big wraps on him, and comes out of the obviously successful Roosters program.
I wouldn't be against it but if we go down the rookie path they must have a former NRL coach with plenty of experience as an assistant.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope Pay gets to stay. However, if he is moved on, the best replacement is Craig Fitzgibbons.
He is the hands on coach at the Roosters, although Robinson gets the big money.
Players respond to him as well.

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope Pay gets to stay. However, if he is moved on, the best replacement is Craig Fitzsimmons.
He is the hands on coach at the Roosters, although Robinson gets the big money.
Players respond to him as well.
It's fitzgibbon

I think he'd be a great option

Last edited:

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's fitzgibbons

I think he'd be a great option
What about Jason Taylor. He made the hard calls at west tigers I.e Robbie Farrah and helped rebuild them. We are rebuilding. Fitzgibbon seems a good choice also as does Jason Ryles. However I hope Pay stays. Gets better support I.e John Cartwright. If no improvement by end 2022 with better squad could promote from within any the above. However like all good leaders need good people to support then

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
nasheed here,
in order of preference:

1. Shane Flanagan. This is a must, he is the absolutely perfect fit as a coach. People are usually against this idea for moralistic reasons, but like the CHN saga, the Isreal F saga, the Mitch pearce, what does an arbitrary discipline appriach get you? just angry fans and another team getting the spoils. it also opens up the club for being hyopcrites when theres some other morally blurry issue down the track.
The fact of the matter is my wigga Flanagan is a proven coach that has PROVEN he can lift a struggling outfit (early 2010s Nulla) to a premiership force. He has PROVEN he can recruit the right players and make wise choices with selections. He has PROVEN us that the players adore him and will fight for him the way they would rally around him during his shit, and he has PROVEN he can win a premiership. His kid would come too, as would former sharks. Quite simply, if we dont get him, another team will. Clearly saints are getting ready.

2. Wayne Bennett. Past it a bit but a proven successful recruiter and plays a no fills brand of footy. Get him in for two years as a band aid to leace the place in good shape.

3. Shaun Wane. Good pommy coach who can get us pommy talent.

4. If any of these employed coaches become available through unusual circumstances- Bellamy, Holbrook, Kearney, Robinson, Hasler, Stone, Stuart.
Lol did you actually just type Hasler with a straight face, now i have heard it all

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wont be an easy decision thats for sure. We went for a rookie coach in Pay and even though he has done ok with the roster I think its time for a change

The issue is going to be who actually wants to coach us and also importantly what our budget is. Given the hit our leagues club has taken during Covid the budget would be tight

Some of the options mentioned resemble a turd I took this morning though. Hasler ? Kearney ? Stone ?

Our attack has sucked balls for 5 years now so hopefully they get someone who can teach the boys to get the ball over the line.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It wont be an easy decision thats for sure. We went for a rookie coach in Pay and even though he has done ok with the roster I think its time for a change

The issue is going to be who actually wants to coach us and also importantly what our budget is. Given the hit our leagues club has taken during Covid the budget would be tight

Some of the options mentioned resemble a turd I took this morning though. Hasler ? Kearney ? Stone ?

Our attack has sucked balls for 5 years now so hopefully they get someone who can teach the boys to get the ball over the line.
At the end of the day there’s only 16 NRL coaching jobs and at least half of those are locked up for the short to medium term so it’s not like it’s a hopeless task attracting a coach. The cap situation being cleared and not too many players signed post 21 will actually work in our favour so there’s plenty of attractions to a new coach.

Money wont be such a issue with things opening back up again. They had forecasted Covid 19 to have a much bigger impact then it actually did financially. The club will take a hit but it’s not going to be crippling.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fans want action? Sign Pays signature confirmed for 60 year coaching deal authorised then initiate Automatic 24-7 365 madness phase.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn’t it Gould that sacked and knifed griffin in the back at Penrith ???
Yeh definitely not happening
I wouldn't say never. Gould was a huge fan of Griffin at one point, I remember the way he spoke of Griffin in the past before their working relationship fell out. He did move Cleary to get him.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The fans want action? Sign Pays signature confirmed for 60 year coaching deal authorised then initiate Automatic 24-7 365 madness phase.
Why do u always need to go to the extreme in your jokes?