Opinion Opinions on JMK

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He'll cop a load of criticism here. But he has the skills to be a good hooker. I don't know if he's got the vision to rise into the top tier. But assuming we've got better attacking structures he'll have a good chance this year to show if he's able to command a spot or fall back into a utility role.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he’s not that bad now. Well compared to Lichaa anyway. I think and hope he’ll grow an extra leg this year.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you were ranking the number 9’s for each team where would he sit. I’d say JMK and Wayde Egan would battle out last place. The only worse hooker would be Foran if Manly use him there.

I think JMK could make a decent utility but expecting miracles from the coaching staff in making him a great hooker might be a bit unrealistic.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If you were ranking the number 9’s for each team where would he sit. I’d say JMK and Wayde Egan would battle out last place. The only worse hooker would be Foran if Manly use him there.

I think JMK could make a decent utility but expecting miracles from the coaching staff in making him a great hooker might be a bit unrealistic.
Rein and Liddle would be down there too.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we have trials, i think a fit Katoa may get the spot. He's our only real hooker.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a manufactured hooker - not a natural. No experience growing in that position in lower grades (from what I know anyway). He just doesn't have the ability to read what's in front of him and I don't think it's something he can be taught. I know Cook was similar but Cook's running game makes up for what he lacks in other areas. JMK doesn't offer much there either. Even when he makes the odd break it usually doesn't lead to a try.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does he have the potential?
He will reach his potential this year, where ever that level is.

He has been coached by Pay who couldn’t get our attack going in his time here.

A lot of players will improve this year and he really needs to be at the top of the improvement pile.

He really should be our #14 as he is relatively versatile.

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
I always respect everyone’s opinion, but if you honestly think Sione Katoa is the better option I don’t know what you’ve been watching. He was absolutely terrible at Penrith, almost the 4th Dummy Half option at the time, got let go and then asked around to get signed by anyone.

JMK transitioned from the halves to full-time in the middle. Never had a quality 9 to learn from, coaching has been below average at best, and was turned into a tackling machine (which he punches well above his weight in) in a team that had no direction, no quality halves and chopping and changing blokes week in week out, and yet I’ve STILL seen multiple moments and games in which JMK has displayed he could hold his own as a starting 9. It’s been so far from ideal for any young player trying to learn a new position it’s not even funny.

I completely understand peoples opinions in wanting to upgrade the position. But I think he really needs to be given the confidence to back himself, have solid attacking structures around him and a coach that knows how to utilise him. We’ve settled on Avo/Flanno/Allan in the spine and a bunch of fast leg speed forwards to get JMK quick play the balls and on the front foot. He will improve out of sight. He has the ability, just needs the chance in 21.

Sorry for waffling on a bit.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always respect everyone’s opinion, but if you honestly think Sione Katoa is the better option I don’t know what you’ve been watching. He was absolutely terrible at Penrith, almost the 4th Dummy Half option at the time, got let go and then asked around to get signed by anyone.

JMK transitioned from the halves to full-time in the middle. Never had a quality 9 to learn from, coaching has been below average at best, and was turned into a tackling machine (which he punches well above his weight in) in a team that had no direction, no quality halves and chopping and changing blokes week in week out, and yet I’ve STILL seen multiple moments and games in which JMK has displayed he could hold his own as a starting 9. It’s been so far from ideal for any young player trying to learn a new position it’s not even funny.

I completely understand peoples opinions in wanting to upgrade the position. But I think he really needs to be given the confidence to back himself, have solid attacking structures around him and a coach that knows how to utilise him. We’ve settled on Avo/Flanno/Allan in the spine and a bunch of fast leg speed forwards to get JMK quick play the balls and on the front foot. He will improve out of sight. He has the ability, just needs the chance in 21.

Sorry for waffling on a bit.
Love the passion. And analysis. Thanks Benji?? Just kidding. All good.