Opinion Opinions on JMK

ChimpNugget

Waterboy
Reaction score
If he doesn’t show any improvement this year under Barrett he deserves to move on. JMK is a nippy little runner of the football, but he needs to be coached into knowing when that moment arises.

Is vision something your born with and simply can’t teach? I disagree with that notion. His game needs to be simplified to get the best out of him. He’s got an 89% tackle efficiency rating, and went like 4 weeks in a row missing only one tackle. His attack was strangled by the complete incompetency of the halves, and forwards like Tolman not being able to run through wet piece of paper. Not every player is prodigal like status like Harry Grant. But I back him in.

Although I’ve been backing him in for a while now. So this is his best and last opportunity.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just don't accept the line that "you can't teach vision", if Barrett can't coach JMK into looking for the signs of when the run, when to kick, when to pass etc then he's a farkin terrible coach. It's an integral part of the team work strategy that he should be (and I'm sure he is) building.

Go Dogs
You can’t teach it at this late stage in someone’s career. Some players have it and some players don’t and JMK doesn’t have it. All those things have to come naturally or be taught at a very young age and refined over 10 years of junior football.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Support play over the last couple of years has generally been poor if we're honest. Nobody has been in the habit of setting up a support runner when they make a break because they're not there.
That's true, but there has been some occasions and JMK just butchers it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You can’t teach it at this late stage in someone’s career. Some players have it and some players don’t and JMK doesn’t have it. All those things have to come naturally or be taught at a very young age and refined over 10 years of junior football.
That logic would seem contradictory in the case of Damien Cook, he never showed much hooker vision in his 4 x NRL years with the Dragons and us, or the Illawarra Cutters for 1 year or the Penrith NYC team for the 2 years before that. At around 25 years of age did he suddenly discovered his vision, or was it Michael Maguire in 2016 and 2017 that actually taught him what to look for. Or maybe it was Wayne Collins, the assistant coach, who played over 100 games as hooker.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That logic would seem contradictory in the case of Damien Cook, he never showed much hooker vision in his 4 x NRL years with the Dragons and us, or the Illawarra Cutters for 1 year or the Penrith NYC team for the 2 years before that. At around 25 years of age did he suddenly discovered his vision, or was it Michael Maguire in 2016 and 2017 that actually taught him what to look for. Or maybe it was Wayne Collins, the assistant coach, who played over 100 games as hooker.

Go Dogs
That example doesn't contradict anything especially when Des preferred to have a ball distributor at dummy half. Cook finally got settled in at hooker after years of moving positions and clubs and made the most of his chances. He had vision and creative in his games in reggies I watched its didn't magically appear when he moved to Souths.

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
JMK has glimpses of brilliance, I think he has potential and he defends well for the position

Katoa is trash.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK is a number 14.

It will be interesting to see what Baz does. We have a young spine so he can either bring in a young hooker and let them all develop together or bring in someone more experienced to balance things up.

There are not many experienced options out there so my guess is he will target a young bloke at another club who isn’t getting a run. At least the lower grades are back this year so he will able to track their progress

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he made that break and then casually pops the ball to Tolman and he plopped over did it for me that he shouldnt be anywhere near that 9 jersey.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he made that break and then casually pops the ball to Tolman and he plopped over did it for me that he shouldnt be anywhere near that 9 jersey.
He reminds me a bit of Danny Levi. Has some of the attributes to become a good hooker but lacks the main attribute which is decision making. I am not sure that can be taught.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That example doesn't contradict anything especially when Des preferred to have a ball distributor at dummy half. Cook finally got settled in at hooker after years of moving positions and clubs and made the most of his chances. He had vision and creative in his games in reggies I watched its didn't magically appear when he moved to Souths.
Of course it's all Des's fault, ignoring the the fact that no other coach in the 6 years between 2010 and 2015 did either, in over 50+ NSWRL games. Until Wayne Collins (mostly) and Michael Maguire taught him about dummy half vision.

BTW, I have watched Damien play since his Endeavour High School days.

Go Dogs

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you were ranking the number 9’s for each team where would he sit. I’d say JMK and Wayde Egan would battle out last place. The only worse hooker would be Foran if Manly use him there.

I think JMK could make a decent utility but expecting miracles from the coaching staff in making him a great hooker might be a bit unrealistic.
Egan has alot of untapped potential

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are the top 10-20% of players and then there is largely everyone else.

That 80% need to be in good systems and require good coaching to develop them into a stand out player - if you play NRL you must have some potential.

JMK tick a lot of boxes - he is quick, has toughness and courage, very well respected by his team mates and always gives 100% - up to now he hasn't been is a great system and I'm guessing none of our coaching staff have effectively pulled his game apart and rebuilt it to address his weaknesses.

One of those weaknesses is vision, particularly out of dummy half - hard to teach but not impossible, especially considering he played his football in the halves - after all he is a manufactured hooker playing in a team that has lacked go forward and lost the majority of their games since he arrived.

I also think a hooker should be able to kick, preferably both long and short - he does hit the ball well, so that is definitely an area he can improve on.

Accepting that we are not likely to sign a better hooker for 2021, I think he starts this season with a clean slate and if we start to win games he will start to realise his potential and look pretty good in the 9.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Of course it's all Des's fault, ignoring the the fact that no other coach in the 6 years between 2010 and 2015 did either, in over 50+ NSWRL games. Until Wayne Collins (mostly) and Michael Maguire taught him about dummy half vision.

BTW, I have watched Damien play since his Endeavour High School days.

Go Dogs
Where did I say it was Des fault? Wayne and Madge must have snuck into Belmore before he joined the Bunnies because he showed glimpses in reserve grade of what he did for the Bunnies at NRL level. Give me some other examples of hookers that this dream team have given vision to? It must be pretty easy to teach.

Good for you that you watched him at Endeavour.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Where did I say it was Des fault? Wayne and Madge must have snuck into Belmore before he joined the Bunnies because he showed glimpses in reserve grade of what he did for the Bunnies at NRL level. Give me some other examples of hookers that this dream team have given vision to? It must be pretty easy to teach.

Hes been watching him since high school you cant beat that haha

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We all can play your game, "where did I say dream team" ?
They simply put in the time where others (not just Des) didn't.

It was actually, they had good teams back then , the Lane Bros, Sorensen, Takairangi, Tapau, Leilua, Whare etc etc.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We all can play your game, "where did I say dream team" ?
They simply put in the time where others (not just Des) didn't.

It was actually, they had a good teams back then , the Lane Bros, Sorensen, Takairangi, Tapau, Leilua, Whare etc etc.

Go Dogs
No I just said Des preferred a ball distributor and you have somehow interpreted that as I said it was all his fault? Honestly how did you get that out of what I said?