Once Again Gallop Adds Fuel To The Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
well he wasn't addressing gossip

and the nrl does has a problem with attitudes towards woman. a change in attitude has to come from the top
lol no it doesn't, it's massively beat up by the media to make rugby league players look like monsters with no feelings who are women abusers.
It's a minority why do we generalise a whole population of rugby league players because of the actions of a percentage of them?
hannant, price, hazem, kimmorely, stagg, hodgson, patten, ryan, hindmarsh, cayless, folau... honestly there are so many players who are good people but they get close to no media recognition yet any player who commits even the smallest wrong gets plastered over front and backpage for days.

Some have a problem there is no denying that, but that's just society in general, if we were to count the players who did have bad attitudes to the ones who didn't and compared the percentage between young men 17-30's in society in general it would be about the same.

It's a problem with society and happens in almost any organisation or anywhere where there a lot of men, it happens in the army, every other sports code, etc. It's a cultural problem which needs to be addressed to society in general. Clubs need to do the best they can to educate players especially when anything they do wrong (illegal or not) will get them in papers and their reputation will get dragged through the mud, but that doesn't mean it's a nrl specific problem.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I need some therapy.
Anyone got a link to that interview last year where Phil Gould pasted Gallop? I think it was after we got smashed by the Dragons after SBW left.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need some therapy.
Anyone got a link to that interview last year where Phil Gould pasted Gallop? I think it was after we got smashed by the Dragons after SBW left.
lol gallop got the **** in that one haha

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
well he wasn't addressing gossip

and the nrl does has a problem with attitudes towards woman. a change in attitude has to come from the top
the nrl does not have a problem with woman.it has a problem with not addressing the issues with a real punishment.take a few cases
carney-where was his big punishment?hes still a ********
cherrington-the bloke has bashed and girl and carried a knife threatening to harm himself...and what does he get.

lets rember that he is not guilty and should be given his right to live his life without people judging him left right and centre...cause dont see them going on about the cherrington case.its media driven and yes drama sells esp when its a high profile celeb.
any lastly i know for a fact there are a lot of really ****ed up women who have some serious issues so anybody says its always the bloke better get a dose of reality,and to say nrl are the only offenders is laughable...pretty sure shane warne could prove this.

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He is seriously dumb.

Sounds like a downer

aarooni

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^^well said kimlo...alright for a bronc.but people should wake up cause this **** happens every week in almost evry suburb in somebodys house and im pretty sure the nrl dont have enough players to get to all postcdes lol

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read the first 2 lines Ben.

I agree

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Jump in the fire Gallop

Burn mother****er burn

the roof...

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
as ive said before...i think the guy is a joke and the guy is deadset pathetic

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And you cant tell me a guy looking like Gallop hasnt paid for it at least once in his life..

pattenovic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, do these people know what goes on in todays society??? how many people have orgies, sexual activities etc.. did he do anything illegal??so he did something immoral, who the **** are they to judge him, the slut would have loved getting ****ed by a group of footy players and now wants to make matt look like some ******

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey guys Matt asked me to put this post as an article on rleague and I changed it quite a bit. It's on their website as an article now. Here it is and let me know what you think. Cheers. And yes it is very long, I know. :p

http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=33258

There can be no denying that in the past week or so the image and public perception of Rugby League has once again taken a battering. Quite often this sport is an easy target for the media. More often than not some of those involved in the game do themselves and the sport as a whole no favours and only have themselves to blame. Whether or not this is one such instance is open to debate.

Quite often cross sections of media and the public expect footballers to be superhuman, to be devoid of all of the idiosynchrasies, flaws and mistakes that every other person in every other society is prone to to at least some degree.

In some other instances players act like complete fools and think they are above society. They start believing in their own hype and buy into their inflated reputations.

Whether innocent or guilty the majority of the general public are always quick to judge and the media is always there to pounce based on instinct alone. This is all to be expected, it should not be expected however from the CEO of the NRL.

In such instances as this latest Four Corners exposay on issues with off field incidents involving women in Rugby League and the Cronulla incident in particular, a calming influence is needed from the leadership of the game of Rugby League. Someone to come in, steady the ship and get what may appear to some to be a train wreck back on track.

What isn't needed is for David Gallop to panic, overreact, bow to public pressure and to perpetuate a witch hunt created by investigative journalists with unnecessary, inflammatory comments. To make a messy situation much, much worse and add fuel to an already spreading fire.

Instead of simply acknowledging this story, talking about it briefly and making short statements along the lines of: "This incident was over seven years ago now. We would like to think that we would deal with any similar situation differently in the future", Gallop instead involves himself, and subsequently the game of Rugby League, in a prolonged press conference and many other statements and comments which only hurt the game even more.

At a time when he should be doing his best to deflect this type of attention away from the game and simply deal with things internally the best he and his colleagues can, Gallop once again personally judges people when impartiality and discretion from the NRL's CEO should be the better part of valour.

Comments questioning Johns' role at Channel 9 or "In Rugby League" and how he should come under more scrutiny are completly out of line when that kind of thing is out of Gallop's control and shouldn't be for him to comment.

There can be no denying Gallop has directly, or at the very least indirectly, played a major part in the standing down of Johns and the intensified media storm surrounding him.

Intimations by Gould on Thursday Night's Footy Show that he feared for John's "safety" following this ordeal are extremely worrying. Such concerns would arise due to the public pressure put on Johns and his family. This has clearly been exascerbated by Gallop with his typically inappropriate comments.

In the press conference Gallop harped on yet again about potential lost sponsors as a result of such off field dramas. Why mention this publicly? He may well have such fears about losing sponsors but what do you gain by making the NRL's business public and putting the very thought in the public's heads or even the sponsors heads?

Through his comments Gallop has potentially created a situation where sponsors will withdraw support from the game due to intensified public pressure perpetuated by Gallop himself. The game could lose valuable money it can't afford to not solely due to the situation itself but because of inept leadership.

Gallop also commented that: "Players who aren't prepared to change their attitudes have no place in the game."

Does this apply to administrators and C.E.O's also? Does this apply to the now Chief Operating Officer of the NRL Barry Pierce who was the Cronulla chairman at the time of the 2002 incident and didn't act at all? Does this apply to Gallop himself who still hasn't suspended or fined Anthony Cherrington for being found of physically assaulting his girlfriend?

If the administrators of the game aren't prepared to "change their attitudes" by not suspending Cherrington for his actions then what message is that sending to women, players, fans in general and the media? How can the C.E.O talk about the game getting "tough" on such things when it clearly isn't?

The glaring inconsistencies from this administration are mind boggling, staggering and monumental.

Such characteristics of Gallop's supposed leadership are hardly the reassuring and dependable counteraction the game needs to the many controversies it find itself engulfed in year after year.

Put simply: By grandstanding in his quest to "prove" that he is some great, defiant leader Gallop has yet again proven that in a tenure littered with gross failures and inconsistencies that he and his fellow administrators at the NRL have at least remained consistent in proving yet again how woefully inept, incapable, thoughtless and careless they are. Gallop is completely out of his element in this role and bereft of any foresight the game so desperately needs.

As preposterous as it sounds and as much as these incidents do cause the game short term harm, the game always survives such dramas time and time again. The crowds don't diminish and the ratings maintain their high numbers. Rugby League has survived much worse and will quite easily survive this. The leader of the game should be accutely aware of just how resilient Rugby League is and not scare the public into thinking that things are much worse than they are just to try and make a name for himself.

What the game won't survive and is hurt by is a complete lack of leadership from the top and this has been highlighted even further by Gallop's typically hysterical recent comments and inconsistencies across the board.

At a time when the great game of Rugby League needed a fire extinguisher to douse the spreading flames of inneundo, fears, panic and hysteria throughout the media and public, David Gallop has himself engaged in these emotions and once again added a tonne of fuel to the fire which is doing the code a great deal of harm.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Take a look @ the lead story on the DT this morning

i have to say that story made my stomach turn, read the whole thing, made me feel sick

imo the other 2 should have been sacked & still should be, the dont deserve to be in the privileged position they are in,

reply with SMD

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25493907-5001021,00.html
Gee what a surprise. The truth is coming out about the new zealand womans so called trauma, so they decide to drag up the old Broncos one again now instead.

They wont be happy until they have completely ruined the game

Status
Not open for further replies.