Oliver Gildart

Wire_mark

New Pup
Reaction score
Yep I see Gildart as another Curtis Scott (Raiders) without the shit in his game. I won't be upset if we get him as he has good hands. If you have good halves and an elite finisher on the wing it works really well. Whose the best winger over on the SL in your opinion. I try like Tom Johnstone think he's wasting his time at Wakefield, needs to make a move imo.
Tom Johnstone is a quality winger but he's had some bad breaks with ACL injuries. Tall, and fast winger. To be fair I think we have quite a few decent wingers. Even Charnley and Lineham at my club i rate highly. We just dont seem to be able to develop centres in the UK. When i think of centres in SL, i think of Gidley, Lyon etc.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have cotric and zelezniak. We have hoppa and Meaney isn’t the worst. Lafai is here for the rest of the year and averillo goes ok (not sure if the club sees him as a half or fullback). Amongst some of the u20s and sg ball kids coming through we should be ok for decent and cheap depth.

This guy only makes sense if he is elite and cheap (under 350k). Anything more and we won’t be able to get a top line hooker which we desperately need.

Every ruck we have JMK involved in we are at a huge disadvantage.

Last time I checked centres and wingers aren’t spine players. And also they don’t perform without good hookers and half’s (drop holland in the 07-11 storm team and im sure he’d look like graham langhlans too).

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Tom Johnstone is a quality winger but he's had some bad breaks with ACL injuries. Tall, and fast winger. To be fair I think we have quite a few decent wingers. Even Charnley and Lineham at my club i rate highly. We just dont seem to be able to develop centres in the UK. When i think of centres in SL, i think of Gidley, Lyon etc.
Yeah poor dude has had a bad run. Charnely could make it in the NRL easy but I don't think he will ever come over. One centre I wish did head over here was Michael Shenton, old boy now but I reckon he would have handled it... It's not that English centres are bad, you just get a lot less time and space in the NRL and it takes a while to adjust.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It was Joe Burgess who was at the Roosters and Souths for 1 season. Wigan do have a good set of wingers in Liam Marshall, Dom Manfredi and Joe Burgess. 3 in to 2 doesnt go though.....
Yeah Burgess should never have come to the NRL when he did, the Roosters just used him up and spat him out. They are notorious for shit like that, did the same with young Bradford boy Curtis Naughton years ago.

hotdogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He has quality and speed which is something we have missed for 5 years.we need an ovehaul regrdless of posistion and adding a try scoring threat is good.what a pairing of cotric and him.
Be great to grab brandon smith and burton as well amd think wed have a nucleus of competitive side.
Possibly push avo to FB .either way i think its positive by club to explore .

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reminds me a bit of latrell when he plays centre. Has a bit more pace. Looks to have good halves there who give him good ball. No point having gun centres if your halves are shit

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last time I checked centres and wingers aren’t spine players. And also they don’t perform without good hookers and half’s (drop holland in the 07-11 storm team and im sure he’d look like graham langhlans too).
Yep, I never feel good seeing big money spent on wingers and centres. Especially when you are a club like us who fail time and time again to build a decent spine. We haven't had a fullback for years, no hooker, Foran could have been our big money half but obviously that hasn't worked out.

I'm not sure 650K for Cotric yet. Mostly because we should be going all out for halves/hooker/another middle forward and a fullback.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maybe we could we use Hoppa as a ball playing forward? Everyone has him as a centre or fullback but with every passing season Hoppa is getting slower, but he still has those silky hands of his.
Wouldnt be fair to the other forwards who will have to do his tackling.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe we could we use Hoppa as a ball playing forward? Everyone has him as a centre or fullback but with every passing season Hoppa is getting slower, but he still has those silky hands of his.
I'm thinking the same. Hoppa too slow for backline but passes better than anyone in our team other than Foran. Maybe use him as ball playing lock and backup hooker if our main new hooker can't last the full 80 and is off the field for a break.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If the club's interest in this guy is genuine then I would think (hope) that they view Averillo as a future long term fullback / half.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
After Andrew Johns comments about him saying you need a hooker, he mentioned our Daryl Clark. I have been on and had a look to see if there's been any mention of him from your end. I've come across this thread with Oliver Gildart, i have to agree with the comments someone mentioned previously. English backs never seem to do well in Aus. Forwards do well, and George Williams has surprised me that he is doing well but im sure the Raiders fans will get fed up of his short kicks on the 2nd and 3rd tackle.

Anyway, back to Gildart. Got a great highlight reel there, but i just think he is too small for the NRL. He has a bit of speed and has international experience but i would say Kallum Watkins is a better centre and he's come back home, although he chose just about the worst club to go to....
We have had 2 decent pommies or UK. The Welsh wizard Davies was my favourite all time and Garry Connelly went well except against the Renouf.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give me Montoya over this bloke any day

Except for the day’s ending in “y”

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa....2 strike centers. Where does that leave Montoya and Holland?
Actually, where does that leave Hoppa? If he stays at FB, what about Avo?
If Avo plays 6, what about Burton? If Burton plays 7, and this is the most important question.....what about Lewis?
Lewis has his own position, it’s called godback