Opinion Okunbor

Doggfather

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Delighted for Okunbor today.

He cops his fair share of criticism and has been in and out of the team for years.

This year he has improved both in attack and defence. Put on size and adapted to the requirements of the team, i.e playing in the middle.

A work in progress but definitely putting his best foot forward.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yep, I'm happy to see him have a good game. He could be very good for us, but like TPJ, he can't do it alone. Through the decades we have had great teams that feed off each other but take them out of the team and they seem pretty ordinary. We need to be a Champion Team, not a team of champions. Watch the difference if we get there again, it will amaze you.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He deserves a lot of credit. He's copped a lot of criticism over the years from everyone, myself included. He's not a FG winger but he's found a home in the forwards and has contributed well when we've been down on troops. Good on him for fighting through years of ups and downs over the years of being dropped numerous times and reinventing himself in a new position.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should someone who been playing 1sts since 2019 still be “a work in progress”?

Sliding doors and all that but be interesting to see where he’d be if he was used as a 2nd rower from the start, how much further along he would be.

Anyway, good try, solid effort all round, happy for him. Please don’t play wing again.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Much better suited to the back row..he doesn’t have the agility to play outside backs given his size but he’s a weapon in the back row

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he needs to focus on playing edge back rower bull him up a little bit abit like averillo keep him at centre let him develop there and same with okonbur he can develop to a good back row

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is learning and improving.

He came to us as a 2nd Rower but a succession of coaches tried to turn him into a winger.

He needs to unlearn how to be a winger and become a 2nd rower.

On the way but not there yet, improving every week and that is all we can ask for.
Can't understand why our past coaching staff have insisted on wanting to play him on the wing, if he had been developed as a forward in the last few years you can bet that he would be a genuine NRL forward by now.
its great to see that C C and or Gus have made a few players better then they have shown in previous years aka Avo Okunbour, Just like Bellamy does at the storm

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think he should be our right edge backrower over Waddell. Has been running good lines is a good kick option like nanai and who would of thought a game breaker.
I do like this idea.
But only if Preston retains the left edge spot and we move Kikau to the right edge to replace Okunbur when he is back from injury. Makes us a threat on right edge with him next to KO and Avo.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Waddles hasn't been as bad as previous years but sure as shit he was that bad today...

If all personnel were fit to pick, I wouldn't be picking him at all.
Now that we have got some players back, he will be relegated to the bench or reggies

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deserve credit this year great on the bench well done to JO & CC for realising JO is a forward could become a weapon

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah.

ATM I think Okunbor is best suited coming off the bench at about the 20min mark.

Maybe in the future but right now I think he plays a role perfectly suited to him.
It will be interesting to see if he gets re-signed, we would likely get him on the cheap

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do like this idea.
But only if Preston retains the left edge spot and we move Kikau to the right edge to replace Okunbur when he is back from injury. Makes us a threat on right edge with him next to KO and Avo.
Kikau is our best forward so we need to play him in his preferred position. From what I’ve seen of Preston his game translates well regardless of what side he plays so that shouldnt be a problem moving him to the right when Kikau returns.
As Kikau doesnt return until potentially round 22 I would love to see what we can get out of Okunbor on the right until then

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, guy scores a try and he’s now the best thing since sliced bread.

First time for everything and while he’s been better off the bench, couldn’t be any worse than he is as winger, we can do a LOT better.

Hopefully he’s gone by seasons end, only wished they got rid of him sooner.

He’s not first grade standard.