Oks

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t mean to personally hate on the bloke, …. It’s just a good example of how far this game has fallen when he can be paid to play for our mighty club for all these years and play so much 1st grade for us, and then continue to kick on and be paid to play somewhere else …

10 years ago he would have even got a look in …

Malla

Reaction score
I don’t mean to personally hate on the bloke, …. It’s just a good example of how far this game has fallen when he can be paid to play for our mighty club for all these years and play so much 1st grade for us, and then continue to kick on and be paid to play somewhere else …

10 years ago he would have even got a look in …
I know everyone has an opinion on Oks and he’s not the best footballer. Makes silly mistakes and just can’t get the basics right…but I will tell you now he’s one of the hardest workers at training. Always one of the first there and last to leave. While from a talent stand point he’s not up to it, his attitude to hard work is second to none and this is why he’s been given continuous opportunities in first grade.
Good luck to him.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know everyone has an opinion on Oks and he’s not the best footballer. Makes silly mistakes and just can’t get the basics right…but I will tell you now he’s one of the hardest workers at training. Always one of the first there and last to leave. While from a talent stand point he’s not up to it, his attitude to hard work is second to none and this is why he’s been given continuous opportunities in first grade.
Good luck to him.
I get your point, but I don’t agree with it, this is professional sports … the fact that you turn up early, stay late and try hard, but not be good enough to do a top rate job shouldn’t equate into years of employment on a a big pay cheque.

There’s all sorts of people in businesses, in company’s, and so on that try hard but get sacked because they’re just not suitable when it comes to actually getting the job done …

He should have been shown the door when CHN went ..

Malla

Reaction score
I get your point, but I don’t agree with it, this is professional sports … the fact that you turn up early, stay late and try hard, but not be good enough to do a top rate job shouldn’t equate into years of employment on a a big pay cheque.

There’s all sorts of people in businesses, in company’s, and so on that try hard but get sacked because they’re just not suitable when it comes to actually getting the job done …

He should have been shown the door when CHN went ..
Key word professional and what you listed - ‘turn up early, stay late, try hard push yourself to the limits every opp’ - they are the building blocks of professionalism. The bulldogs issues at the moment are players with talent that don’t have the above mentioned traits.

I think you are letting the results cloud your judgement, but you are entitled to your opinion. He’s not our problem anymore.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good luck to him.
You are confirming what I felt instinctively. My reading of Coach Ciraldo is a man who believes hard work in the training paddock eventually translates into performance on match day, and so he gives the opportunities to players who put in the effort and work on their weaknesses. Someone, probably CC, did a tremendous job turning Okunbor into a footballer.

I believe (perhaps you can confirm) Hayze Perham was picked at full back for 18 weeks straight because he trained very well and tried to carry out the coach's instructions. I never thought Perham was as bad as the Kennel maintained. He started the season as a safe defender with no real attacking flair, but, instead of improving as the year progressed, he went backwards. I suspect a crisis of confidence, and I wonder if he read the Kennel, and became affected by all of the death riding.

If you had a great player but lazy trainer (Fatrell?) in your squad, you would have to pick him, but, if you had to choose between two players of similar ability, only one of whom was a good trainer, your choice would be obvious.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All the best of Ockunbor. It's a pity that we could not get the best out of him. Potentially he had size, speed & was good at the attacking high kicks.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Key word professional and what you listed - ‘turn up early, stay late, try hard push yourself to the limits every opp’ - they are the building blocks of professionalism. The bulldogs issues at the moment are players with talent that don’t have the above mentioned traits.

I think you are letting the results cloud your judgement, but you are entitled to your opinion. He’s not our problem anymore.
As I said, I get what your saying …. but I could turn up early for training, stay late, try hard, push myself to the limits as well … but where I’d get quickly found out is where it matters, game day on the field … this kid has been found out on the field a thousand times over, and we’ve all seen it a thousand times over …

Yes you give a kid like that every chance, but through the Dean Pay years, the Trent Barrett years and now Ciraldo’s term you have to be able to assess whether a kids got it or not on the field …

We saw enough of him during the Dean Pay years to comfortable say he’s not up to 1st grade … he should have been let go back then for other opportunities or kept down in cup.

As I originally mentioned, shows exactly what condition the games in when we keep persisting with a player because hey, he tries hard … I personally would like to see that rewarded for participation type attitude disappear ..

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where Topine at?
Gus running a regime like Putin except they dont fall out of windows or explode they just disappear!
I wonder if he had another indiscretion and they thought it’s better to cut him loose. No one gets cut like this for no reason.

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reality was either super league or Centrelink. Good luck to him lack of intensity in defence will definitely suit him.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who is CC going to incessantly praise in the press conference now? Reckon he will watch Hull matches and still mention him?