NSW Low Range Drink Drivers to lose license on spot for 3 months.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it is bullshit personally. More nanny state crap from our Government.

Some countries allow a higher limit than ours (like 0.07 or 0.08). Does anyone here feel impaired driving after 2 beers with dinner? It is crazy.

So someone can have half a beer too many blow 0.05 road side, lose their license on the spot for 3 months and have hundreds of dollar s in fines and a court date? Give me a break. There are much worse things to crack down on like mobile phone usage.
Them the rules..it’s just they way it is..that’s the standard..if you don’t like it don’t drink and drive.. Someone might wanna drive on the right side of the road one day.. but they can’t.. That’s the rules..

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the very insightful reply. Clearly I understand that is the rule, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Being on your phone, being tired, being on some prescription meds are all far worse than being low range. So yeah let's crack down hard on someone who had half a beer too much at dinner, the world will be a much better place right?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
56% of drivers charged with low range record no conviction but NSW government have decided that they are judge jury and executioner and will confiscate licenses immediately.

What of the people with false positive readings because of mouthwash? What if your hair care products give a false reading and immediately ruin your career, relationships, the ability to take your sick children and elderly hundreds of kilometres for the required medical treatment?

I have no sympathy for drink drivers and have never been done for anything of the sort but automatic suspensions and inflated fines for low range less about saving lives and more about politics
Conviction requires a blood test. When someone blows a positive they blood test them to confirm it. This clears any false positives. It is inconvenient though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just because someone can drive whilst intoxicated doesn't mean they should. There's a whole lot of "it'll never happen to me" in that line of thinking. It's a medical fact that judgement and reactions are slowly (albeit slightly), whilst intoxicated... hence why it is law.

For me I have a set rule. If I'm intending to drink, I don't take my car keys. If I'm out with wifey and she wants to drive home and let me have a beer, then she has the keys on her. That said I'm not really a big drinker anyway.

Compared to other developed countries our drink driving laws are on par.

AFRICAS:
Varies between No Limit (Gambia, Niger, Togo) to between 0 and 0.08%. Guinea-Bissau has highest allowance of 0.15% Most are 0.05 or 0.08%.
South Africa - 0.05%

AMERICAS:
Canada - Varies between 0.05 and 0.08% with 12hr - 3 day instant suspensions (varies per state).
Mexico - Varies between 0.04 and 0.10%
US States - Varies between 0.05 and 0.08%

CENTRAL AMERICA: (Honduras, Panama, Belize, etc etc):
Varies from 0.05% to 0.08%.
Blowing over 0.075% in Costa Rica will earn you 1-3 years in prison, vehicle impounded, and 2 year license suspension.

SOUTH AMERICA:
Varies between 0 and 0.08%.
Argentina - 0.05%
Brazil - ZERO Tolerance. Up to 0.06% is a 12 month suspension, vehicle impounded and $1000 (AU) fine (doubled per offence). Above 0.06% is a criminal offence.
Chile - 0.03%. 0.03 - 0.08% is a 3 month suspension and $117 - $586 (AU) fine. Over 0.08% 61-301 day prison sentence, fines of up to $1100 (AU), and 2 year suspension. Lifetime suspension for 3rd offence.
Colombia - ZERO Tolerance. 0.02-0.039% is 1 year suspension, $1300 (AU) fine, 20 hrs community service. 0.15% or over is 10 year suspension, $10,450 (AU) fine and 50 hrs community service.
Peru - Below 0.05% is a warning. 0.05% and over is a fine and 6-24 months suspension.
Uruguay - ZERO Tolerance. Fines upwards of $580 (AU) and suspensions of 6-24 months.
Venezuela - 0.08%

EAST ASIA:
Varies between 0.02 and 0.05
China - 0.02%. 0.02 - 0.08 $220-$420 (AU) fine, 6 months suspension.
Hong Kong - 0.05 (mouth) / 0.02 (blood). Fine and up to 3 years prison.
Japan - 0.03%.
South Korea - 0.05%
Taiwan - 0.05%. 0.05-0.11 $700 - $4160 fine

SOUTH ASIA:
Varies from 0 to 0.06
India - 0.03. First offence 6 months prison and / or $40 fine.
Pakistan - No Set Limit, but falls under drugs and alcohol laws.
Sri Lanka - 0.06
Nepal - 0.00%

SOUTH EAST ASIA:
Varies between 0 and 0.08
Indonesia - 0
Malaysia - 0.08%
Phillipines - 0.05%
Singapore - 0.08%
Thailand - 0.05%
Vietnam - 0.05 for bikes, 0 for cars.

ARABIA/WESTERN ASIA:
Varies from 0 to 0.05
Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia - Alcohol is banned.
Israel - 0.029% and above is penalised.
Jordan - 0.05%
Lebanon - 0.02%
Syria - Often unenforced, but if heavy suspension 1-3 months and a fine.
Turkey - 0.05%
Azerbaijan and UAE - 0

EUROPE:
Varies from 0 to 0.08
Belgium - 0.05%. Fines and suspensions thereafter.
Denmark - 0.05%. Jail is over 0.20%. 0% if not driving safely (fine is one months salary x BAC x 10).
Finland - 0.05%
France - 0.05% 0.08% $4500 EU fine, 3 year suspension, up to 2 years prison.
Germany - 0.03 (if an accident or traffic offence), 0.05% otherwise.
Greece - 0.05
Ireland - 0.05
Italy - 0.05%. 0.05-0.08 is $500 to $2000 EU fine and 3-6 months suspension.
Netherlands - 0.05%
Norway - 0.02%
Poland - 0.02%. 0.02% - 0.05% is a fine, up to 30 days prison, possible license suspension for 3 years.
Slovakia and Slovenia - 0
Spain - 0.03%
Sweden - 0.02%
UK (England and Wales) - 0.08 (blood).
UK (Scotland) - 0.05%

OCEANIA:
AUS - 0.05% all states
NZ - 0.05%

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the very insightful reply. Clearly I understand that is the rule, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Being on your phone, being tired, being on some prescription meds are all far worse than being low range. So yeah let's crack down hard on someone who had half a beer too much at dinner, the world will be a much better place right?
Walk through a spinal ward and get some perspective.. Yeah half a beer too much..explain that to them..I’m sure you’d get that insightful reply you’re looking for..

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Walk through a spinal ward and get some perspective.. Yeah half a beer too much..explain that to them..I’m sure you’d get that insightful reply you’re looking for..
Sure if you are way over and have an accident you pay big time, we are talking low range similar to a bit tired and a blanket three months will cost jobs and appears to be a knee jerk.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry..but tough luck..you risk it..you pay the price.. And so do the people you could potentially injure.. Walk through a spinal ward and see the victims..
Exceptionally said mr 95%, these people don’t think of the consequences
Is it really fucking that hard to not drive after drinking
[emoji108][emoji106]

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure if you are way over and have an accident you pay big time, we are talking low range similar to a bit tired and a blanket three months will cost jobs and appears to be a knee jerk.
But you got to set the standard at some point.. lol at Mr Bean!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's simple:
If you intend to have a drink, don't drive.
If you intend to drive, don't drink.

If you can't figure that one out, then you probably don't have the mental capacity to drive in the first place.

I'm sure the arguement will be "Oh but what if I go <somewhere> and want to have a few drinks and go home later. Well that's a risk you take. If it's that much of a concern, buy your own alcohol tester, and have at it until you are well under 0.05.

Whaa whaa it might cost people their jobs... but drink driving also costs people their livelyhood or life, and changes innocent families lives forever, just because some selfish dickhead had a few cans and thought he was right to drive.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jobs that will be filled by law abiding citizens

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exceptionally said mr 95%, these people don’t think of the consequences
Is it really fucking that hard to not drive after drinking
[emoji108][emoji106]
Most Kenellers live in Sydney or a large city with Public Transport, Uber and Taxi options. There is simply no excuse for drink driving.

And I say this as someone who overall drinks way too much.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As someone who once lost their license for 6 months (45kph+ over) whilst working as an onsite IT tech, I can tell you that it's a pain in the arse but not impossible to get around. Just have to rely on family and friends (who literally give you a serve every time they take you somewhere).

Now before I bury the right foot I think to myself "no.. remember what happened last time". Besides if I want to bury my foot past legal limits, I can take the car to Sydney Dragway, Sydney Motorsport Park, or Luddenham Raceway for a blast.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Low range still effects a person's reaction time.

Like to react to the child crossing the road. Or to sudden change in driving conditions ahead of you.

We arnt talking about having a wine with dinner. If you drink more than a beer every hour. Or you have been deinking consistently for over 3 or 4 hours. Get a taxi home. Simple.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Should the Government be allowed to instantly cancel your licence for three months for smidging over the .05 ?
This looks like more Berejiklian bullying, will clog the courts and create resentment on both sides of the law, Zeig Heil!
It should ease pressure on the courts, not clog them.
Currently, everyone done DUI has to go to court.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should ease pressure on the courts, not clog them.
Currently, everyone done DUI has to go to court.
If you get hammered three months on the spot you will wanna appeal and add some perspective.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If you get hammered three months on the spot you will wanna appeal and add some perspective.
Hard to argue that you were pissed or drugged behind the wheel. As the suspension wouldbe fixed in legislation, it can't be modified by a judge, only dropped completely.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
This law is still bullshit.

Only times I've ever had an accident I was sober!

I'm sick of people saying just don't drink or catch a cab!

I got stitched up last time I used a cab.
I know my limits, last time cops pulled me over and gave me a breath test I was just under the point O five limit.

I didn't kill anyone.
I even had my wits and was able to slow down from hitting a drunk Jay walker on Parramatta road!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not everybody’s going to appeal. Currently everybody goes to court.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Also why don't some of you go back in time to the night your parents met and tell your dad not to drink drive?

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This law is still bullshit.

Only times I've ever had an accident I was sober!

I'm sick of people saying just don't drink or catch a cab!

I got stitched up last time I used a cab.
I know my limits, last time cops pulled me over and gave me a breath test I was just under the point O five limit.

I didn't kill anyone.
I even had my wits and was able to slow down from hitting a drunk Jay walker on Parramatta road!
That’s because you were below .05