NRL Stadium Headache 2023

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Warriors set to benefit from NRL stadium headache

The Warriors could be the biggest beneficiary of the NRL's nine-week stadium block out headache caused by the FIFA Women's World Cup next year.

FIFA will have exclusive use of Accor Stadium, the new SFS, Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and Melbourne's AAMI Park between June and August.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Warriors have been made aware of the opportunity to bring rival teams to New Zealand during the period.

Affected teams - which include the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Broncos, Storm and the competition's newest franchise, the Dolphins - are likely to be granted extra home games earlier in the season.

Appetite for rugby league across the ditch is huge - the Warriors' return to Mt Smart Stadium against the Tigers on Sunday is already sold out, as was the international between the Kiwis and Tonga last Saturday.

It will be the Warriors' first game in New Zealand since Round 24 of the 2019 season. Jazz Tevaga, Adam Pompey and Chanel Harris-Tavita are the only members of the current squad to play that game.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo will be in Auckland for the match.

"We simply wouldn't have been able to play the premiership in 2020, 2021 or 2022 had we not had the Warriors being based in Australia because the borders have been closed," Abdo said.

"The club has been through a lot, but when it came to trying to find a way through and getting them back in Australia in 2020, or finding a permanent location in 2021 or the first half of 2022, everybody jumped in and approached it with a positive attitude.

"I commend and congratulate the Warriors for being proactive and being 100 per cent committed to the premiership because they've found a way through. They've won the respect of stakeholders in the game, the other clubs, and of course fans, because we've seen them play out of Australia for two-and-a-half seasons and still be competitive.

"It's a tremendous effort by the club. Now is the time we can all get behind them and excited for a homecoming, and this is a brilliant way to welcome them back in front of a sea of Warriors fans."

WTF, playing home games in NZ makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if Homebush is not available then FFS play the home games at Belmore. I applaud the Warriors but they won't get anything out of us playing our affected home games in NZ. At least at Belmore Bulldogs fans can go to the games.

Always a Bulldog

Reaction score

The Warriors could be the biggest beneficiary of the NRL's nine-week stadium block out headache caused by the FIFA Women's World Cup next year.

FIFA will have exclusive use of Accor Stadium, the new SFS, Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and Melbourne's AAMI Park between June and August.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Warriors have been made aware of the opportunity to bring rival teams to New Zealand during the period.

Affected teams - which include the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Broncos, Storm and the competition's newest franchise, the Dolphins - are likely to be granted extra home games earlier in the season.

Appetite for rugby league across the ditch is huge - the Warriors' return to Mt Smart Stadium against the Tigers on Sunday is already sold out, as was the international between the Kiwis and Tonga last Saturday.

It will be the Warriors' first game in New Zealand since Round 24 of the 2019 season. Jazz Tevaga, Adam Pompey and Chanel Harris-Tavita are the only members of the current squad to play that game.

"We simply wouldn't have been able to play the premiership in 2020, 2021 or 2022 had we not had the Warriors being based in Australia because the borders have been closed," Abdo said.

"The club has been through a lot, but when it came to trying to find a way through and getting them back in Australia in 2020, or finding a permanent location in 2021 or the first half of 2022, everybody jumped in and approached it with a positive attitude.

"I commend and congratulate the Warriors for being proactive and being 100 per cent committed to the premiership because they've found a way through. They've won the respect of stakeholders in the game, the other clubs, and of course fans, because we've seen them play out of Australia for two-and-a-half seasons and still be competitive.

"It's a tremendous effort by the club. Now is the time we can all get behind them and excited for a homecoming, and this is a brilliant way to welcome them back in front of a sea of Warriors fans."

WTF, playing home games in NZ makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if Homebush is not available then FFS play the home games at Belmore. I applaud the Warriors but they won't get anything out of us playing our affected home games in NZ. At least at Belmore Bulldogs fans can go to the games.

Always a Bulldog
I can’t see teams taking more than 1 of their home games to NZ. Prob just 1 game ie their scheduled home game vs the warriors

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe these stadiums should give the money back to the taxpayer for shutting out the NRL teams here. What a load of crap!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I actually do not mind this. Will help us build a fortress early, jag some early-season wins, and then get some momentum.

This article is missing so many points. Couple of things to consider:
  • This shows the short-sightedness of the NRL. The women's WC bid started back in 2019 - surely they would have a fall back plan.
  • The load would be lightened by the fact that this is the origin period, so plenty of teams will have byes. But ALSO - a team a week will have a bye. So I would imagine it would be mostly Sydney-based teams during this period.
  • The Roosters have the SCG - so no loss.
  • The report fails to mention that the Knights are affected as well
  • Bulldogs have Belmore, plus take a game to the country.
  • New Zealand are ALSO co-hosting the WC. So much of their stadiums will also be taken up during this period.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually do not mind this. Will help us build a fortress early, jag some early-season wins, and then get some momentum.

This article is missing so many points. Couple of things to consider:
  • This shows the short-sightedness of the NRL. The women's WC bid started back in 2019 - surely they would have a fall back plan.
  • The load would be lightened by the fact that this is the origin period, so plenty of teams will have byes. But ALSO - a team a week will have a bye. So I would imagine it would be mostly Sydney-based teams during this period.
  • The Roosters have the SCG - so no loss.
  • The report fails to mention that the Knights are affected as well
  • Bulldogs have Belmore, plus take a game to the country.
  • New Zealand are ALSO co-hosting the WC. So much of their stadiums will also be taken up during this period.
Yeah, its a load of BS. Its not like there aren't plenty of alternatives (CommBank, Leichhardt, Belmore, Penrith, Campbelltown, SCG etc in Sydney, Robina, Sunny Coast etc in QLD), and you're right, New Zealand is CO-HOSTING the event (with Eden Park being the ground in Auckland as opposed to Mt Smart).

Just need a bit of shuffling around.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I applaud the Warriors and their players/family/staff and the sacrifices they've made the last few years.. They deserve some sort of extra compensation..

On the issue of stadiums.. There have been tonnes of games taken to regional areas this season already and the last few years. In 2023, they'll just do more of that.. As well as play at Suburban grounds.. I'm sure NZ will get some more games.. It would be good to see a game or two in PNG and some games in Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, Tasmania etc during those affected rounds to try and get into other markets.

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I applaud the Warriors and their players/family/staff and the sacrifices they've made the last few years.. They deserve some sort of extra compensation..

On the issue of stadiums.. There have been tonnes of games taken to regional areas this season already and the last few years. In 2024, they'll just do more of that.. As well as play at Suburban grounds.. I'm sure NZ will get some more games.. It would be good to see a game or two in PNG and some games in Adelaide, Perth, Darwin, Tasmania etc during those affected rounds to try and get into other markets.
I'd be in complete favour of letting them play every game at home next year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd be in complete favour of letting them play every game at home next year.
They fucking deserve it after the last three years. They could play their home games at Mt.Smart and their away games at other venues throughout NZ and even in Tonga/Samoa if possible.

It's a great idea that would help them grow the game back in NZ and the Pacific Nations.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
It’s on next year mate not 2024

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They fucking deserve it after the last three years. They could play their home games at Mt.Smart and their away games at other venues throughout NZ and even in Tonga/Samoa if possible.

It's a great idea that would help them grow the game back in NZ and the Pacific Nations.
Maybe that's another option.

For the NZ "away" games - play them in Fiji, Samoa, or PNG.