NRL Stadium Headache 2023

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Warriors set to benefit from NRL stadium headache

The Warriors could be the biggest beneficiary of the NRL's nine-week stadium block out headache caused by the FIFA Women's World Cup next year.

FIFA will have exclusive use of Accor Stadium, the new SFS, Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium and Melbourne's AAMI Park between June and August.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Warriors have been made aware of the opportunity to bring rival teams to New Zealand during the period.

Affected teams - which include the Roosters, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Broncos, Storm and the competition's newest franchise, the Dolphins - are likely to be granted extra home games earlier in the season.

Appetite for rugby league across the ditch is huge - the Warriors' return to Mt Smart Stadium against the Tigers on Sunday is already sold out, as was the international between the Kiwis and Tonga last Saturday.

It will be the Warriors' first game in New Zealand since Round 24 of the 2019 season. Jazz Tevaga, Adam Pompey and Chanel Harris-Tavita are the only members of the current squad to play that game.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo will be in Auckland for the match.

"We simply wouldn't have been able to play the premiership in 2020, 2021 or 2022 had we not had the Warriors being based in Australia because the borders have been closed," Abdo said.

"The club has been through a lot, but when it came to trying to find a way through and getting them back in Australia in 2020, or finding a permanent location in 2021 or the first half of 2022, everybody jumped in and approached it with a positive attitude.

"I commend and congratulate the Warriors for being proactive and being 100 per cent committed to the premiership because they've found a way through. They've won the respect of stakeholders in the game, the other clubs, and of course fans, because we've seen them play out of Australia for two-and-a-half seasons and still be competitive.

"It's a tremendous effort by the club. Now is the time we can all get behind them and excited for a homecoming, and this is a brilliant way to welcome them back in front of a sea of Warriors fans."

WTF, playing home games in NZ makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if Homebush is not available then FFS play the home games at Belmore. I applaud the Warriors but they won't get anything out of us playing our affected home games in NZ. At least at Belmore Bulldogs fans can go to the games.

Always a Bulldog
For those losing their minds this is actually a nothing article. The draw for the Women’s World Cup is already out and the effect on the NRL will be minimal.
Games are played at the SFS at the start of the tournament and they move to Accor in the round of 16. In the round of 16 there is 1 last game at the SFS on Sunday 06/08. After that the remaining Sydney games are played at Accor starting Monday 07/08.
That would potentially be round 21 by the time games are played at Accor. Considering Commbank is available our issue would be clashes with Wanderers games. This really affects Souths and the Roosters more than us. I’m sure the NRL will look at our game with the Warriors and try to schedule it over that time.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck about the FIFA Womans World Cup... does anyone even watch / follow it?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck about the FIFA Womans World Cup... does anyone even watch / follow it?
I personally don't follow womens football and only used to a little bit years ago as i went to school and played like under 12s with a former Matilda.

But, a lot of people do watch/follow it - arguably more than the NRL from these figures:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Why would you disrupt the nrl for meaningless woman's soccer ?? Fark em have them play at a local park.
It’s all about the “women’s revolution” that’s going on around the world now, how everything from soccer to wrestling is about women. The fact that they have a WNRL cook itself is a freaking joke as it goes for 4 rounds.

That’s why everyone was losing their shit last week when the abortions laws got changed.

Wahesh

Reaction score
As a Doggies fan that lives 20min from Mt Smart, I'm all for it! :D

Keen as for this Sunday's Warriors game. Packed house and Sunday drinks FTW
Shit bro, I keep forgetting you’re out that way. How’s life over the ditch?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shit bro, I keep forgetting you’re out that way. How’s life over the ditch?
All good Bro!

We got a lot done in the nearly 2 years we've been here. Finally got married, bought a house, started a business and now at that stage trying to make new little Doggies supporters! Haha

Wahesh

Reaction score
All good Bro!

We got a lot done in the nearly 2 years we've been here. Finally got married, bought a house, started a business and now at that stage trying to make new little Doggies supporters! Haha
Shit bro - very similar here. Married and trying to make little doggies supporters lol. What kind of business did you start up?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shit bro - very similar here. Married and trying to make little doggies supporters lol. What kind of business did you start up?
That's great news! Happy to hear man.

You might like this one, I run an online hobby store called GetThoseMons. Focusing on Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Digimon cards mainly.

Wahesh

Reaction score
That's great news! Happy to hear man.

You might like this one, I run an online hobby store called GetThoseMons. Focusing on Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Digimon cards mainly.
Thanks mate - goes both ways.

Yep I remember you mentioned you had heaps of those cards when you were younger, and I suppose as it’s a hobby you like then the work is something you like as well. Is it a side business though or your main job?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks mate - goes both ways.

Yep I remember you mentioned you had heaps of those cards when you were younger, and I suppose as it’s a hobby you like then the work is something you like as well. Is it a side business though or your main job?
Nah just a side hussle. Dream is to make it something bigger, but for now gotta concentrate on bringing in the income and looking after the family.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Nah just a side hussle. Dream is to make it something bigger, but for now gotta concentrate on bringing in the income and looking after the family.
Yeah I know what you mean mate. I’ve got so many cars that I can make it a side job too lol. I’ve realised that a lot of the things I’ve collected over the years are almost impossible to get today, so I can probably sell them in a few years time +50% on what I bought for them.

I actually remember my cousins used to collect those Pokémon cards from 1999, and they had those ones that were rare. I reckon they’d be worth a bit today.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree Belmore is the go not across the ditch.
I think what the NRL will have to do is play the big drawing games between local team while the Stadia are available in the early part of the season. If we need to play at Belmore more than once then play against teams like the Cowboys, Titans etc. Commbank and SCG could end up being a base for multiple teams.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have always said this...Peter Moore reserve is located right next to Belmore. From a spacing perspective, it is massive.

I would be doing the following, if it was an option:
  1. Approaching the council about buying that particular park
  2. Knock down BSG - and turn it into a E<--->W facing stadium (so it goes along the railway, rather than facing it). For those who have been to Wellington, Westpac stadium operates in a very similiar manner.
  3. Have the stadium eat into the what was the PM reserve. Leave some space maybe for some basketball courts etc ala CommBank stadium
  4. The main grandstand - call it the PETER MOORE STAND

Wahesh

Reaction score
I have always said this...Peter Moore reserve is located right next to Belmore. From a spacing perspective, it is massive.

2. Knock down BSG - and turn it into a E<--->W facing stadium (so it goes along the railway, rather than facing it). For those who have been to Wellington, Westpac stadium operates in a very similiar manner.
  3. Have the stadium eat into the what was the PM reserve. Leave some space maybe for some basketball courts etc ala CommBank stadium
The problem in Belmore will always be parking. What they need to is build a direct walkway from Belmore Station to the sports ground. I know there was a blueprint about this around 2019 but there was no way it was going to get approved as the Liberals won't fund anything in the area.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The richest club in the league should have a cracker stadium that is ours. 25,000 seats @ Belmore with a game day only train platform. Owning a stadium is not great business but I am sure we could rent it to a NSL side and others to offset running costs. Ownership can belong to the leagues club.

Cmon Gus, make it happen.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

By Westpac stadium, i assume you mean what's now Sky Stadium i think? AKa the Cake Tin? It is N/S facing (albeit with a little bend).

The only major E/W stadium i can think of is Wembley? Is there a lack of sun in London in winter?

I guess with few games even being played in daylight anymore, E/W might not be as much of an issue, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason :grinning:

I do agree with Wahesh re the direct link to Belmore Station. I've said it before and i'll say it again, PT to all NRL games in Sydney should be free. There needs to be a mentality shift in Sydney when it comes to attending large events.