NRL returns to regional NSW for season 2021

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
The NRL has announced six games of the 2021 home and away season will be played in regional towns across New South Wales.

The following six teams will each host one game next year in their respective regional location:

• Bathurst (Penrith Panthers)
  • Wagga Wagga (Canberra Raiders)
  • Tamworth (Wests Tigers)
  • Dubbo (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
  • Mudgee (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
  • Coffs Harbour (Cronulla Sutherland Sharks)

Australian Rugby League Commission boss Peter V'landys said the state's improvement on handling the COVID-19 outbreak made it possible for games to return to the bush.

The NRL played just one game in regional NSW during the 2020 season due to the pandemic.

Adam Pompey of the Warriors dives over to score a try during the round 16 NRL match between the New Zealand Warriors and the Newcastle Knights at Scully Park on August 29, 2020 in Tamworth, Australia. (Getty)
"I made a promise to regional NSW that we would take games back to the bush as soon as the competition returned to normality. The infection rate is now zero so we will deliver on that promise and schedule NRL games in six different towns,'' V'landys said.

"Nowhere is rugby league stronger than in our regions. This year COVID meant we were only able to take one game to regional NSW, so we will make good on that with six games next year.

"One of the Commission's major objectives in the next three years is to reinvigorate Country Rugby League. Accordingly, there is no better way than to take the game's stars to Country heartland and inspire participation at all levels."

John Barilaro (Getty)
NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro said he hopes the games bring relief to local the communities affected by bushfires and COVID-19.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As someone who grew up in a country town - seeing some footy was something we really looked forward to. Pity in a way that they pre-season cup is no longer a thing.

I would like to see every NRL team having to take one home game a year to a market where there isn't a team - whether it be country NSW, or an interstate or even international location.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So Barilaro is back from his foot in mouth... i mean mental health leave?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's good news. I think every club should have to have one home game in a country/regional area every year. Two bush footy rounds a year would be a cool initiative.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Im from Tamworth and it kills me that tigers come here. Hopefully they atleast play the dogs in Tamworth soon

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As someone who grew up in a country town - seeing some footy was something we really looked forward to. Pity in a way that they pre-season cup is no longer a thing.

I would like to see every NRL team having to take one home game a year to a market where there isn't a team - whether it be country NSW, or an interstate or even international location.
Great idea but you can bet your last dollar on which club won't go along with this. The Broncos.