NRL GF TV Ratings Hit an All-Time Low

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The game is almost beyond recognition of what it once was. I grew up knowing the rules for example that a Shepard was any time you ran behind your own player, you gave up posession. Now it's refs discretion. There's too many rules now that aren't black and white as they should be. I'm among the group of people who think it's predominantly been altered to steer the results in the direction that the gambling partner wants. It's a fucking massive conflict of interest to have gambling companies directly involved with the game.

This bullshit 6 again rule really was the last of many straws for me. I just don't follow the reasoning behind half the set restarts and that's the way the NRLol wants it. Was too easy for fans to get the shits when they saw that calls were blatantly wrong and all going one way. Now it's meant to happen too quick for people to notice. They failed to hide the bullshit by silencing coaches critical of referees with fines. And I'm certain that the fans in general notice that the six again and other grey are rulings are absolute bullshit.

In the end we as fans can only go to the extreme measure of switching off. The NRL shouldn't survive without fans. But obviously as the cockhead running it has shown by denying a poll regarding the GF time, the fans are regarded as idiots by NRL management.

Fuck the NRL and the shit rules they implement. None of the people in charge recently have had skin in the game. They absolutely couldn't give a shit about anything but the short term goals they've set which in my opinion really don't align with the fans.

Purely and simply, the poor ratings reflect the fact that many people just can't enjoy the game anymore.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First one I haven't watched in years, busy watching jack miller carve up in Thailand GP

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The game is almost beyond recognition of what it once was. I grew up knowing the rules for example that a Shepard was any time you ran behind your own player, you gave up posession. Now it's refs discretion. There's too many rules now that aren't black and white as they should be. I'm among the group of people who think it's predominantly been altered to steer the results in the direction that the gambling partner wants. It's a fucking massive conflict of interest to have gambling companies directly involved with the game.

This bullshit 6 again rule really was the last of many straws for me. I just don't follow the reasoning behind half the set restarts and that's the way the NRLol wants it. Was too easy for fans to get the shits when they saw that calls were blatantly wrong and all going one way. Now it's meant to happen too quick for people to notice. They failed to hide the bullshit by silencing coaches critical of referees with fines. And I'm certain that the fans in general notice that the six again and other grey are rulings are absolute bullshit.

In the end we as fans can only go to the extreme measure of switching off. The NRL shouldn't survive without fans. But obviously as the cockhead running it has shown by denying a poll regarding the GF time, the fans are regarded as idiots by NRL management.

Fuck the NRL and the shit rules they implement. None of the people in charge recently have had skin in the game. They absolutely couldn't give a shit about anything but the short term goals they've set which in my opinion really don't align with the fans.

Purely and simply, the poor ratings reflect the fact that many people just can't enjoy the game anymore.
The game has become too predictable under the changed rules.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Surprise, surprise.. People don't like seeing blowouts and the same team dominate for years..

Leave V'Landys in charge for a few more years and there will be no league left. He's not the guy that saved the game, he's the guy that's destroying the game.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How are tv ratings measured - is it the number of tvs switched on or the number of people watching - events like a gf (afl NRL) lots of parties/ bbq/ gets togethers with one huge screen but lots of people - does that effect ratings?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i didn't watch it TBH. Seemed to be a likely foregone conclusion, and wasn't cheering for either team...

There's also just more variety for people's eyeballs on a Sunday evening these days,