NRL gets tough on trainers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulldogsFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
THE NRL has tardy water boys and trainers running scared with an early-season crackdown that already has several Sydney clubs facing big fines.

Inundated with long-term complaints from irate fans, the NRL is finally swinging a big stick at runners who have become virtual 14th men over the past few seasons.

In the opening four rounds alone, the NRL has issued $6000 in fines - as much as in the whole of last season - in a bid to eradicate the flouro-shirted plague.

New NRL operations manager Nathan McGuirk is responsible for the crackdown, last night telling The Daily Telegraph that he shared supporters' frustrations before assuming the post as David Gallop's second-in-command this season.

"It's been a bugbear of the fans and it's a bugbear of mine, to be honest," McGuirk said.

"I've given clear instructions to our ground managers to monitor the trainers closely.

"It's something I wanted to focus on."

The NRL is particularly fed up with trainers who "loiter" behind the defensive line and issue "general instructions" to their team as a whole.

"Trainers are allowed to give individual advice, but not team instructions," McGuirk said.

"There are pretty strict guidelines about this."

The Dragons, Panthers and Bulldogs have been fined $2000 each for second offences this season. All three teams use former players as their runners, with incoming St George Illawarra coach Steve Price the man responsible for the Red V.

McGuirk said further infringements would result in the fines being doubled, with suspension also a possibility.

The NRL has only outed one trainer in the past, sidelining a Toyota Cup runner last season for abusing the referee.

"We're prepared to double the fines," McGuirk said. "But this is not about fining the clubs ... we're trying to work with them to get them to understand what the guidelines are.
"We have the power to suspend a trainer who keeps offending, because they have to be registered through us.

"But that would be a last resort."

Price also landed the Dragons a $1000 fine last year, when the Eels emerged as the most penalised club thanks to three offences from fitness guru and boxing identity Hayden Knowles.

Knowles, however, has also been warned once this year, as has Rabbitohs runner Willie Peters.

"We don't specify a certain amount of time they can be on the field for," McGuirk said.

"The ground manager will give leeway when an interchange is being made, because some players can be difficult about coming off the field."But if a trainer is loitering behind the defensive line ... they have to leave."

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I've noticed Grimaldi hanging around on the field for too long lately.

Only a matter of time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This isn't a deterrant. These fines do nothing.

It's quite a large problem and in the AFL they are extremely tough on trainers being on the field without reason.

These trainers in the NRL are on there the whole set just giving information and instructions and directing traffic. Let the players play without bloody tennis coaches out there. This isn't baseball where you have a 3rd base coach and a 2nd base coach.

If you want to get rid of the problem, crack down hard properly like the refs have with other things and actually physically penalise the team in possession. Simple.

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why not control the players with a xbox remote control through GPS. That why we cant get busted

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Who cares honestly, what's the big deal

I can't remember the last time a trainer got in the way of anything ... its a tough sport, trainers are a must !!

Hubdy

Bite Me
Reaction score
Geoff Toovey used to do it alot he spent more time on the
field than most of the players

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
"It's been a bugbear of the fans and it's a bugbear of mine, to be honest," McGuirk said.
No it hasn't ...

"I've given clear instructions to our ground managers to monitor the trainers closely.
WHY?

The NRL is particularly fed up with trainers who "loiter"
WHY ? How exactly do you plan on determining what is "loiter"

"Trainers are allowed to give individual advice, but not team instructions," McGuirk said.
and a BIG WHY ?

"We don't specify a certain amount of time they can be on the field for," McGuirk said.
How convenient for you ... and that answers no 3

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Can't believe Langer hasn't been mentioned in this article.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Yea, I too thought Alfie & Toovey wouldve been main offenders.

S

Swagger

What ever happened to the old Bat Phone the coaches used to have? Brian Smith or Tim Sheens would call down with some instructions and some bloke coming off the bench would run them out to the captain, who would tell everyone else. It was good enough for Graham Murray when he turned the Steelers into a premiership force in the ninties, why isn't it good enough anymore? Rabble, rabble, rabble.

Status
Not open for further replies.