News NRL drops referee

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flew into Australia from Europe last November, NRL employ anyone.

Last edited:

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a big fat nah brah. Get past all the waffle etc., if Trindall was Taaffe and Kiks was Nikora, would I be happy if that was awarded? No way.
Traitor lol
Ps it will never happen to us .

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop feeding the troll..... Can't you see what he doing?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I 100% sure if it was the other way around it will be a try.
We get absolutely the worst calls.
But would you be happy with that? Coz as you say - its the worst calls.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But would you be happy with that? Coz as you say - its the worst calls.
If it happens all the time and they give the same ruling I would be happy, but you will probably never see it again for another couple of years.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If it happens all the time and they give the same ruling I would be happy, but you will probably never see it again for another couple of years.
Same on the field ruling or the Analsley version?

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Same on the field ruling or the Analsley version?
Whatever they are consistent with.
I bleed blue and white so technically any opposition try is a no try and every bulldogs try is a try

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Whatever they are consistent with.
I bleed blue and white so technically any opposition try is a no try and every bulldogs try is a try
You thought of reffing? You'll get rooted by Analsley after 2 weeks but hey - it'll be a good 2 weeks :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Will make next to no difference.
He’s still a touchy and still getting paid.
He’ll be back in first grade in a couple of weeks.
It’s just the NRL begrudgingly admitting an error.
I still don’t buy the ‘courruption’ claims though.
I don't buy it too, but the way the game is administered, it opens itself up to a capacity to be easily manipulated.
Biggest ones I can think of right now are the six agains and referees being kings.

-Six agains can't be scrutinized, the NRL's favouritism towards a quick touch footy style rather than finding a balance (penalties were good, ref can chat with players rather than blowing a whistle and just get the game going rather than being pedantic).

-Kings, they don't have to own up or cop the same pressure coaches come up with. Pay the refs more, allow them to do press conferences, that's a start to preventing corruption or favouritism

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't buy it too, but the way the game is administered, it opens itself up to a capacity to be easily manipulated.
Biggest ones I can think of right now are the six agains and referees being kings.

-Six agains can't be scrutinized, the NRL's favouritism towards a quick touch footy style rather than finding a balance (penalties were good, ref can chat with players rather than blowing a whistle and just get the game going rather than being pedantic).

-Kings, they don't have to own up or cop the same pressure coaches come up with. Pay the refs more, allow them to do press conferences, that's a start to preventing corruption or favouritism
Some fair points there mate, absolutely.
I agree totally the NRL wants a fast, free flowing product bringing bums on seats - live and broadcast.

It's all about the $ - not in a 'corruption' sense but definitely in a revenue sense.

They should bring back the two referee system - they only took it away to save money during Covid and the game is so fast now it's impossible to leave the adjudication to one person and expect them to get it right all the time. At least have one referee for the defending team and one for the attacking team - it worked well in the past, why wouldn't it work now?
If anything it might be even more effective.
You might be surprised how much referees get paid - some of the top guys earn well in excess of $250k - so yes, why not make them do pressers and explain decisions, even if it's not immediately after the game like coaches/captains but on say Monday once they've had the benefit of watching replays etc. It would go a long way to reducing any distrust. The main problem there might be getting referees continually coming through - it they're exposed to more scrutiny they might think it's not worth it. Good suggestion though.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some fair points there mate, absolutely.
I agree totally the NRL wants a fast, free flowing product bringing bums on seats - live and broadcast.

It's all about the $ - not in a 'corruption' sense but definitely in a revenue sense.

They should bring back the two referee system - they only took it away to save money during Covid and the game is so fast now it's impossible to leave the adjudication to one person and expect them to get it right all the time. At least have one referee for the defending team and one for the attacking team - it worked well in the past, why wouldn't it work now?
If anything it might be even more effective.
You might be surprised how much referees get paid - some of the top guys earn well in excess of $250k - so yes, why not make them do pressers and explain decisions, even if it's not immediately after the game like coaches/captains but on say Monday once they've had the benefit of watching replays etc. It would go a long way to reducing any distrust. The main problem there might be getting referees continually coming through - it they're exposed to more scrutiny they might think it's not worth it. Good suggestion though.
I can never see the NRL putting a ref on tv to answer questions no matter what their getting paid.
You are correct mate they are on descent coin guys like Adam.G left his high school job at Aquinas,would have been doing okay but nothing in comparison to his current position.
Being a big dogs supporter he’s still not doing us many favours on the field lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I can never see the NRL putting a ref on tv to answer questions no matter what their getting paid.
You are correct mate they are on descent coin guys like Adam.G left his high school job at Aquinas,would have been doing okay but nothing in comparison to his current position.
Being a big dogs supporter he’s still not doing us many favours on the field lol
You’re probably right mate - but they can do better than just rolling Annersley out every Monday too. So if it’s not post mortem explanations, it could be trying to reduce mistakes in a faster game - why bringing back the second referee could work. They want more money (Las Vegas, higher ticket prices, increased TV/Digital revenues) then they can also invest in ensuring that those who hand over their hard earned feel that they’re not getting the rough end of the pineapple so often. There will always be mistakes and the occasional howler, but there is also likely a better way than today, especially since the game got noticeably faster.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re probably right mate - but they can do better than just rolling Annersley out every Monday too. So if it’s not post mortem explanations, it could be trying to reduce mistakes in a faster game - why bringing back the second referee could work. They want more money (Las Vegas, higher ticket prices, increased TV/Digital revenues) then they can also invest in ensuring that those who hand over their hard earned feel that they’re not getting the rough end of the pineapple so often. There will always be mistakes and the occasional howler, but there is also likely a better way than today, especially since the game got noticeably faster.
Agree I just don’t understand why the second referee has not been introduced back into our game doesn’t make sense at all.
They seem to have money for other things not to mention a healthy number of staff on their books down at Moore Park,surely the main part of the business which is what happens on game day deserves a lot more respect.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Genuine try overturned when they "checked" it ten times to declare Nigel Vagana offside on the opposite side of the field at least 30m away from the play! Never forgotten that rort! Lol
We do get f*cked over the most!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We do get f*cked over the most!
This came up on my feed.

Ok happens to other teams from time to time but there is def a ref code of practice that Bulldogs will def not get off side ruck infringements. The Grimaldi one...just like any other Bulldogs player like Mahoney nowadays. Not to mention 2nd tackle on El Magic.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How many of the current referees have played adult Rugby League. Not many I would guess.
The NRL needs to recruit former players to the ranks. Who remembers Keith Holman.